PDA

View Full Version : 303B SAMMI chamber advice

Canuck Bob
03-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Sometime in the next months I will be taking possession of a 303 in a Ruger #1. I've decided to load and shoot CB from the beginning.

I have not reloaded for years but was capable of loading quality safe ammo years ago with JBs. I've never cast bullets.

I have no detailed specs on the rifle yet but it will be SAMMI speced and the Ruger people are saying 311 grooves. No.1's are often throated to allow long bullets seated to long OAL. I will slug the bore and throat when it arrives. Hunting ammo is not required, target and plinking only.

I am looking for advice on setting up cheaply and simply to get started. A single load that offered excellent 100 meter accuracy and trajectory with mild noise using WW alloy is the goal.

A bullet from 150 gr to the 200's but would prefer lighter to conserve lead, accuracy first. A powder charge that did not require filler use but allowed mid-pressures to seal the brass and chamber with smaller charges. Did I mention I'm cheap. My British ancestors would call me mean, my Scottish ancestors would call me extravagent, just can't please everybody.

I'm thinking Lee collet neck sizer, push through sizer, gas checks, simple hot plate smelting and casting gear to start. One mold with a history of doing well in a number of rifles and a similar powder. Finally brass with good longevity and smaller capacity. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

docone31
03-30-2010, 07:40 PM
If you take a factory round, set your die, then load a cast round to that spec, you will be almost dead on. You might end up letting it out 1/2 turn.
Go with collet dies and the brass will last and last.

JeffinNZ
03-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Well Bob, I am dead envious cos that is going to be a real shooter I am sure.

Canuck Bob
03-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Well Bob, I am dead envious cos that is going to be a real shooter I am sure.

Thanks Jeff, are you the Jeff that designed the bullets on CBE's site?

Frank46
03-30-2010, 11:56 PM
A lot of folks here use the lyman #314299 in their enfields depending on the dimensions. Which can be all over the place. However since your ruger (i'm jealous)
will have the .311 groove dimension it should shoot this bullet very well. Size .002 over the .311 which should be .313 and have at it. Frank

Canuck Bob
03-31-2010, 12:55 AM
A lot of folks here use the lyman #314299 in their enfields depending on the dimensions. Which can be all over the place. However since your ruger (i'm jealous)
will have the .311 groove dimension it should shoot this bullet very well. Size .002 over the .311 which should be .313 and have at it. Frank

That bullet gets refered to alot. I'm jealous that I lost 20 years to a hobby I love so much compared to you guys.

Thanks for the nice comments.

JeffinNZ
03-31-2010, 05:22 PM

Not so much designed as evaluated and made suggestions. But yes, that is me.

Mk42gunner
03-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Lee's 312-185 is available as a lower cost option. I use it in various 30-31 caliber rounds.

Robert

PAT303
04-01-2010, 04:29 AM

Bob have a look on the CBE site,there is alot of 303 molds.For a cheap starter my enfields really like the Lee 7.62x39 boolits. Pat