PDA

View Full Version : Pentax Scope Questions

Bigscot
07-09-2006, 07:59 PM
E. Author Brown has Pentax 4x12x40 scopes on sale for $119. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these scopes. I have a pair of small Pentax binoculars and love them. They are very clear and light weight. Are the Pentax scopes the same way?

Thanks,

Bigscot

joatmon
07-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Wish I could help but never owned a Pentax. That sounds like a good price.

threett1
07-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Good scopes for the money.

rugerman1
07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
http://www.eabco.com/pentaxscopes.html
http://www.eabco.com/images/pentax11.gif
http://www.eabco.com/images/pentax12.gif
Does Burris still make Pentax scopes? The 3" of eye relief isn't the most I've ever seen. I might have to try one8-)

EDIT: I just called them about the scope.They HAD 50 of them,all gone.The're supposed to get more in about 3 weeks.

BOOM BOOM
07-10-2006, 04:48 PM
hi,
I think they are pretty good scopes.
Also I don't believe that Burris makes them. At least I have never heard that before.

Bucks Owin
07-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Looks good to me and the price is reasonable. I like the reticule and wouldn't mind replacing the 4X12X40 Bushnell on my custom 10/22 with one. The reticule would be a help on long shots at G squirrels....

FWIW,

Dennis

obssd1958
07-10-2006, 11:50 PM
I haven't owned a Pentax riflescope, but I have owned one of their cameras and a pair of their 10x50 binoculars. The camera worked fine for a couple of years, but then started having repetitive problems with the small motor that opens the lens cover iris. The first time, they had a local shop fix it and I had to pay for the labor. The second time, just a few months later, neither they nor the repair shop would fix it without charging me full price for labor and parts - about 2/5th the price of a new camera! The binoculars have great glass, but about 1 1/2 yrs after I bought them, something came loose inside and started rattling around. I sent them back to the repair center and asked to have an estimate on repairing them (1 year warranty). They never contacted me, but a couple of months later, I received the binoculars in the mail. No more rattling, but it has an internal flaw on the right side that makes looking through them a headache - literally![smilie=b:

Based on my experience with their customer service, I will never buy another of their products.

Just my .02 - YMMV!

Good luck!

Don

Dale53
07-11-2006, 01:07 AM
I would never have any .22 scope that did not have an adjustable objective. Most big game scopes are parallax corrected at 150 yards. Parallax is unacceptable for .22 use at close range with ANY scope that will not allow you to adjust.

Just my humble opinion.

Dale53

rugerman1
07-11-2006, 07:50 AM
I've since learned that these scopes are made in China.I think I'll pass.:???:

waksupi
07-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Mark, I wouldn't blow off the Chinkanese optics. They are now making some of the best in the world. My collector buddy tells me there are new asian optics, better than the Leica, Swarovski, etc. glass. Apparently, they have bought up some of the Euro glass equipment. Another battle lost.

Blackwater
07-12-2006, 10:03 PM
I have a Pentax 4x that I bought used. I didn't even know they made a plain 4x, but it's very bright when the light fades. So far, I'm very well pleased, and currently have it on my '03 Spfld, which is to be my main armament for deer this coming season. I'm trusting it until it fails, IF indeed such should occur.

lovedogs
07-18-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm not sure who's making the Pentax scopes now. I know that Burris was making them but that could have changed. As stated, some of the Asian makers are now doing pretty good work. I've heard that Pentax warranty is really good so I wouldn't be afraid of the scope, especially at that price. I think we will start seeing things get more competitive in the scope world since Simmons came out with their new system at decent prices.