PDA

View Full Version : Another 358009 on eBay

Maineboy
05-03-2005, 05:58 AM
One of my projects is to buy/build a 35 Whelen. While the only step I have taken so far is to purchase a 98 Mauser action, but I figure it's never too early to look for the proper mould. I found this one on eBay and bid on it, but now it's almost twice what I paid for the action. Too rich for my blood already and there's over 5 days left to go. I guess I'll be going the custom route when the time comes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7153517410&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT

I wonder if anyone over at Lyman pays any attention to what some old style boolit moulds are going for. If they were smart, they'd make special runs of them and sell them at a premium.

sundog
05-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Maineboy, check your PMs. sundog

James Wisner
05-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Yes the prices on eBay can get scary.

The last 358009 moulds I saw went for $119.09 and $125.01 in Dec and Jan.

If someone sees this I am looking for a few sample bullets from this mould.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

sundog
05-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Jim, I can help you. I have this boolit as a custom cut in .360. I also have some samples from two others in .359, and .358. These were custom cut by David Mos and are what we call 358009I (I = Improved, as it has a small meplat). I personally think that this is a GREAT boolit design for 35 Whelen if matched correctly to twist.

Send me a PM with you snail mail addy, and I'll send you a couple of each. sundog

trk
05-07-2005, 11:16 PM
One of my projects is to buy/build a 35 Whelen. ......

When the time comes, if you use the 358009, make sure that you've got a 1:14 (or faster) twist as 1:16 won't stablize it right.

Maineboy
05-08-2005, 10:19 PM
The auctions over, the 358009 sold for a mere $96.00. I wish I had ten of them to sell, I could build a nice Whelen with the proceeds.

TRK, thanks, I've already been warned that I'll need a fast twist with that heavy boolit.

Pb head
05-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Maineboy, I just got a 35 whelen put together. Used a 98/22 Turk action that I picked up at a Dunham's store on sale for $69.95. The bbl was pitted but it shot decent. When I won a rebarrel on a club ticket I decided to use that action. The gunsmith supplied a Douglas bbl in 1 in 14 twist. A fellow that shoots in my pistol league loaned me his 358009 mould for as long as I need it. Bought a cheap Core lite stock at Midway plus a Bold trigger and slapped those on in a hurry so I could try it out. Shot it one day last week for the first time. Loaded the 280 gr Ly boolit in front of 17 gr WC820. Took a while to get on the paper because the front globe I wanted to use sits way too high and the Lyman 48 has the short slide. I ended up putting one target below another and using the top one for the aim point. After all that I only had 10 rounds with the Ly boolit left and 15 with a Seaco 250 gr. I shot a 15 shot group with the Seaco first which went into a round group of about 2 1/2 with a couple high ones opening it up to 3 1/2 in. Then I changed the target and shot the 10 Lymans. Ohh boy only 3 not touching the other 7 and they only opened it up to a little under 2in. I haven't bedded the action and bbl yet so it should only get better. Can't remember when I had results like that from the get go. As soon as a new front sight gets here and I get the rifle bedded proper I'll find out if that was all a fluke or I got a real shooter. I hope it's a good one because the 7BR which cost me a pile to put together has been a nightmare with cast.

Pb head

Bass Ackward
05-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Can't remember when I had results like that from the get go. As soon as a new front sight gets here and I get the rifle bedded proper I'll find out if that was all a fluke or I got a real shooter. I hope it's a good one because the 7BR which cost me a pile to put together has been a nightmare with cast. Pb head

Pb,

Glad that you are moving along with the project. I have been wondering how you are coming along. I am envious because mine is awaiting a new stock. The other one broke right at the pistolgrip. So I have had it in my dreams lately.

I have to say that the two I am most familiar with were the easiest to shoot cast with I have ever used. I always heard that it was the 30s that had that reputation and they do. But I had designed bullets in 210, 220, 250 and the latest at 265 grains and the only thing I had to do from the first weight to the last was drop the powder charge a total of 4 grains.

Best kept secret in the shooting world. Accuracy anywhere you want it from 2000 to 2400 fps. I don't know how they work though with plinker charges. So this could be a whole nuther world. Maybe someday, I'll see.