PDA

View Full Version : Blackie And The 500 Magnum

RANGER RICK
07-09-2006, 06:09 PM
My son and I had a good Spring Black Bear hunt this spring .
We did a walk in hunt here in Alaska in the Kachemak Bay area .
We hiked in about 5 miles and I was able to take a nice 6 1/2 foot blackie with a perfect hide , no rubs what so ever .The taxidermist already has the hide .
I was able to get the bear to stop walking away from me .
When he stopped to take a look at what the noise was he sat down at an angle and uphill away from me . He had to lean a bit to look through a couple bushes to see me and when he did I took him.
One shot at 77 yards right through the heart and out his back .When the bullet struck he did a back flip and was dead befoe he hit the ground .
I used my Smith & Wesson Preformance Center 10.5 Revolver and my 700 Grain Thumpers .
The first pic is of me and the big boy.
The second pic is of the bear on it's back with one of my 700 Grain Thumpers beside the extrance hole .

This was my son's first bear hunt .
I just pulled a spring 2007 permit for a Kodiak brown bear.
The wheels are already turning !!!!!

RR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/BEARHUNTINGPICS008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/RANGERRICKQUIGLEY/BEARHUNTINGPICS005.jpg

bisley45
07-09-2006, 09:11 PM
thats great what is the recoil like on them 700gr got to be bad

RANGER RICK
07-10-2006, 11:19 PM
The recoil is not as bad as one would think ??
I have loads with smaller weight bullets that will make you take notice when you touch one off.

The 700's are like a can of peanuts ,you just can't open them up and have just one hand full !!!!!!
I have actually cut two standing beattle dead spruce 12" tree's in half with these 700's .
I forget how many rounds I shot to get them to fall over ?? It was fun to say the least .
My buddy had a 44 and we both started at the same time at different trees .He finally gave up .His did not fall over !!!
I have pictures of them some where .I will see if I can find them to post.
Now I am starting to Ramble !!!

RR