PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold help

PULSAR
03-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Lee 2 cavity 452 - 230 round nose cant get rt to close properly ,no burrs that I can see have tried driving the pins in and out with little change , if I hold it upside down sometimes it will close properly , send her back or try something else ?

shootinxd
03-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Welcome Pulsar,Try holding up to a bright light and look inbetween the two halves,see if you can pick up on the culprit.If you got it from midway give them a call,the customer service is pretty darn good.

RayinNH
03-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Sound like it might be hanging up on the handles. Try working each half against the handle, could just be an aluminum burr. If that doesn't do and it's a new one, send it back...Ray

mooman76
03-29-2010, 10:17 PM
What do you mean but not close properly? Some Lee moulds don't quite close all the way by a hair. If this is what you mean I got in a habit of tapping the mould when I close it just like you do when you want it to release your boolits only do it after closing and it helps jar it a little and close. It helps make my bullets more consistant also.

03-29-2010, 10:21 PM
PULSAR,
I had one that was too tight on the handle, as RayinNH said. Removed the handle, did a bit of filing, and made it right.

However, after a recent fiasco with two Lee moulds, if I buy any more and they aren't correct they will be returned.

John Boy
03-29-2010, 11:31 PM
cant get rt to close properly ,no burrs that I can see have tried driving the pins in and out with little change
Pulsar, tighten the nut for the handle bolt so handles don't wiggle up and down

Colorado4wheel
03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Take them off the handle. Try to close them off the handle. Then mimick the arc of the handle try and close them like that. Take the sprue plate off for all this. Hopefully they close like this. If they don't, don't even bother with them, send them back. If they seem ok off the handles try them on the handles. You may find one pin is your issue. Reverse them on the handle. Try again. If still no luck, send them back. With Lee get a decent set or send them back. Even a decent set your probably going to need to fiddle with a little.

JIMinPHX
03-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Did you lube the mold, like the instructions say to do?

Suo Gan
04-08-2010, 12:35 AM
When you are closing them try tapping the hinge bolt. This is normal for Lee two bangers. Either side hangs at the pins a bit, when you try to align the faces one is inevitably sagging more than the other, sometimes they bind, just tap the hinge pin with your whacker and that should be that. Also when they are hot they are a bit tighter and usually align better than when they are cold...