PDA

View Full Version : Varget in the M-1 Garand?

Treetop
03-29-2010, 05:39 PM
A friend of mine ordered some 180 gr. .311 diameter cast boolits from Lazer Cast and asked me for some data using Varget powder behind these boolits.

He is a target shooter and prefers to cycle the rifle manually so functioning the rifle is not a requirement.

Does anyone here have a suggested starting load for this boolit/powder combination. Is Varget even suitable for cast boolits? I have no experience with this powder. Is it slower or faster burning than H-4895? Thanks, Treetop.

AlaskaMike
03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
It's slower than H4895. You might do a search here for "BruceB" and "Garand" and it'll give you some good stuff, although I don't think he's mentioned trying Varget.

I've done quite a bit of experimentation using Lyman #311332 (about 180 grain) and IMR-4895 with my Garand, and have gone up to about 40 grains if I remember right. I'd probably start at about 35 grains of Varget and work up.

I should point out though, that I haven't tried Varget with cast in the .30-06, so I have no idea if it's position sensitive, or shows any other adverse behavior at lower charge weights (like 35 grains).

Mike

Calamity Jake
03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Use a dacron filler with that Varget, you need to keep the powder against the primer.
As suggested read the Burce B post on loading for the garand

oldhickory
03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
It's about the same burn rate as IMR4064, but a lot more flexible. I haven't tried it in the M1...YET, but it's on my list.[smilie=s: