PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in new barrel for future boolit use?

Canuck Bob
03-28-2010, 10:47 PM
I have come to a decision to tune my new Ruger #1A for boolits from day one. I'm assuming Ruger makes thier own barrels. How would you tune your new Ruger barrel to best shoot CB and PP? I will not firelap with coarse compounds. I would consider the fire polishing techniques though using bore polish. Does a guy shoot a few hundred JB's to make the bore shiny and smooth or not contaminate with copper from day 1?

OLPDon
03-28-2010, 10:54 PM
I have always used copper J for new barrel first 10 clean after each shot,, next 10 clean after every 5 and then 10 and clean for about 100 then it clean real good and no more Js. I don't rush the process I like to keep the heat down
Works for me but I'm sure more will chime in on break in new barrel.
Don

felix
03-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Use grit polish to clean a new barrel. Simichrome is what I use. Don't wipe it out, but leave no slop. Shoot some normally lubed boolits softly, and then shoot normally after cleaning again but without grits this time. If the barrel is not satisfactory, then go to the jacketed route. If that does not work after a 100 rounds or so, then take more drastic measures using larger grits. Never over do it, unless the throating is too short for your typical load. I typically like short throated guns over those just right when the gun is new. Allows shorter boolits. ... felix

303Guy
03-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I would suggest 'fire-polishing' using paper patch boolits right from the get go. Patch 'em and shoot 'em, that's it! Give me a call when your rifle arrives and I'll give my load data that worked for me. If I didn't manage to blow up a Lee Enfield then it sure as won't blow up your #1! And I'm conservative.[smilie=1:

How long till your rifle arrives? (Now I'm impatient! :mrgreen:)

303Guy
03-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Use grit polish to clean a new barrel.Would 'burnishing compound' be considered 'grit polish'?

Canuck Bob
03-29-2010, 02:20 AM
I would suggest 'fire-polishing' using paper patch boolits right from the get go. Patch 'em and shoot 'em, that's it! Give me a call when your rifle arrives and I'll give my load data that worked for me. If I didn't manage to blow up a Lee Enfield then it sure as won't blow up your #1! And I'm conservative.[smilie=1:

How long till your rifle arrives? (Now I'm impatient! :mrgreen:)

Thanks will take yuo up on the offer. The rifle will be delivered sometime in the next year! Ruger hasn't given any idea yet. I have my PAL, our shooter registration permit, to update and then just wait.

I am learning my flintlock now so I can burn powder and throw lead wrapped in cotton to feed the addiction. I'm going to try a paper wrapped ball soon for fun.

Bob J
03-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Good thread over on Northeast Shooters on basic firelapping with results......

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/89978-FIRELAPPING-UPDATE-01-31-10-Savage-10FP-Results-Post-18?highlight=firelapping

Beekeeper
03-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Felix,
I have hanging in my gun cabinet a H&R Handi rifle with 4 new never fired barrels.
30/06 , 30/30 , 45/70 , and .223.
I have resisted fireing it until I could find someone that knew the best way to break in the barrels.
I would like to only shoot cast as I swore off of j words many years ago.
What are the specifics you would use to break in these barrels?

It just dawned on me Sorry if I hijacked your thread but wanted to know

Jim

44man
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I would just shoot a new gun first. Many new barrels are so smooth nothing needs done at all. Only if there is a problem would I do anything. I have seen too many guns that shoot lead from the first shot after the barrel is cleaned from the test firing at the factory.
It is one of those things that you do not want to solve a problem for that does not yet exist.

felix
03-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Jim/BeeKeeper.... 44Man is correct. Using a polishing type grit (i.e., 2000 grit size) will take away waves/burs that can only be noticed with a bore scope when they are gone. I use the polish as a paper patch equivalent. Ruger barrels are so hard that it will take many shots (strokes of whatever) to clean them up when they are not correct from the start. I have no experience with H&R barrels, but treat them as normal mass production barrels. Jim, one of those should show up as an especially good one via luck of the draw. And conversly, too. ... felix