PDA

View Full Version : Hang Fire Remington 541

7br
03-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Took my 541 out to the range today. Had a couple of hangfires. Pulled the trigger, nothing happened. Waited a 30 seconds. Moved the bolt to eject the shell and gun discharged down range. Happened a few minutes later also. It hasn't been fired much lately and I am not sure the last time it was cleaned. Only other thing is that I adjusted the trigger about 15 years ago or so.

Any ideas?

lead-1
03-28-2010, 09:41 PM
I have a Remington 540X that went beyond that, it wouldn't fire at all. When I pulled the trigger back it stayed there and wouldn't release. It had been at least ten years or more since it was fired so I cleaned out the trigger assembly good with a brush and cleaner, now it works great. The assembly was just gummed up with old oil that had become tacky.

Heavy lead
03-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Must have been the day for rimfire problems. My tricked out 10/22 went to the range to sight in it's new glass, very, very impressed with a 5 shot group at 100 yards within' 1" with WW power points, then all went south, went back to 50 (I use a mil dot scope at 8 power crosswire is on at 50, first dot is dead on at 100 at that power, in case you wonder) shot two way way low (6") at that range, then two duds that refired after I loaded them in again.
I ran some junk bulk ammo out the last time, and it was so gunked up I had to strip the whole thing. This chamber is really tight, it's the first time out any serious 100 yard work was done, I hope that 5 shot group wasn't a fluke, find out next week I guess.