PDA

View Full Version : 43 Mauser

bobv
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I've a friend who picked up 43 Mauser, it's a 71/84 I beleive and the problem is ,finding brass for it , of course. I was wondering anyone here would have a source for the brass. But seeing that we are in Quebec Canada , we can't import any brass from the U.S.:x And I don't imagine that the 43 Mauser can be formed from something else...??? Maybe some of the other Canadians here can help us out
Thanks
Bob

Japlmg
03-28-2010, 03:53 PM
You can make brass from .348 Winchester brass.
Winchester still makes .348 brass once each year, so you may have to wait for the yearly run to find any.
The only company making 43 Mauser brass is Bertram of Australia,and their brass is very expensive.
Dominion did load 43 Mauser up until 20 years or so ago, you might be able to find a couple boxes of the stuff if you beat the bush looking for it.
Gregg

enfield
03-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Ellwood Epps has it, I got some about a year ago. it's on there web sight. I think about $80.00 for 20 ? treat them good !

bobv
03-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the replies , I will pass on the info to my friend
BTW what exactly is involved in forming 43 Mauser from .348 Win...just running them thu the 348 dies ????
Bob

jonk
03-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Unfortunately no.

Given the large jump in size, I would anneal them, run through the dies......and then the fun part. You have to bevel the rim. A lathe is the proper tool for this. For just a few you could fudge it with a drill and file as the bevel doesn't have to be exact. You may have to reduce diameter a bit too.

Another option would be to pay a gunsmith cut the bevel out of the Mauser bolt head and allow it to use standard .348 diameter rims.

bobv
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Well it looks like this projet has been cancelled, my friend had not received the rifle yet when we started looking into reloading ...but today he received it and it's apiece of ****, to put it nicely!!!!it has a hole in the stock, broken firing pin,no spring in the mag..etc. He was really pissed off ,to say the least. The rifle is returning to seller ASAP...he seems to have forgotten to mention these little details:x It really too bad it would have been fun reloading and shooting this rifle. The worst part is that we were at a gunshow this weekend and a guy at a table next to him had 2 for sale:groner: I guess that's what happens sometimes when you have only a picture and the other guys word[smilie=b:
Thanks anyway to everyone who gave us the info...maybe someday it might be useful
Bob