PDA

View Full Version : collets

82nd airborne
03-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know where i can get collets for a grizzly benchtop lathe without having to sell my firstborn or body parts?

elk hunter
03-28-2010, 08:10 PM
I have no idea what type of collet that lathe uses, but if it uses the common 5C size they can usually be found at machine shop auction sites or used equipment dealers, or you can purchase a set of the import ones for way less than the cost of a set of US made. The import ones are OK for the average home shop use.

scrapcan
03-29-2010, 01:32 PM
It also depends on what you want to do with the collets. If you want to pass thru the spindle, that is different than holding short pieces.

I had this discussion with Buckshot via pm not long ago about using the r8 collets in a holder. Hesaid he uses a collet holder witht he proper taper for a spindle adapter. But he R series collets are not thru collets. I think some of the grizzly lathes have an MT3 spindle taper so you could use this with a home made drawbar.

You could also use a spindle nose collet chuck that mounts on spindle and it acts as a closer and you can pass thru.

82nd airborne
03-29-2010, 01:58 PM
thanks guys! i guess i should have clarified that i mainly need them for using tools in the tail stock.

elk hunter
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
thanks guys! i guess i should have clarified that i mainly need them for using tools in the tail stock.

You've got me there. I've not used collets in a tailstock. I use a drill chuck a lot, but never used collets in the tailstock of a lathe. They do make Morse Taper sleeves/collets as such to hold different drill bits and reamers but there again, I've not done that. Can't be any help with this one.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Hickory
03-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Don't be too hasty about wanting to relinquish any body parts,
unless ****** just dosen't do the trick any more.
Even then I give it some serious thought:kidding:

deltaenterprizes
03-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Explain the tools in the tailstock thing.

82nd airborne
03-29-2010, 08:05 PM
well im 23 so im still good there, although if they make a med to make legs work right id take some. ive only used a collet in the tailstock while i was in machinist school 5 years ago. oviously im not too experienced, it might not even be a good idea, i dont know. i just figured that on a small lathe the less hangin out there in the wind the better, and my chuck sticks out a ways causing some wobble. then again its a cheap one, maybe i should just go for quality.

Dutchman
03-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Collets aren't normally used in the tailstock. Collets are used in the headstock.

Typically, there is no side pressure on the tailstock drillchuck. Only linear stress in-line with the centerline of the lathe. This doesn't require added support. Headstock stress is often perpendicular to the centerline. Plus the added need/desire for increased accuracy or convenience necessitating use of collets in the headstock.

re: 82nd

My dad was in the 82nd... Field Artillery! 1928-30 Fort Bliss, Texas. The 82nd was attached to the 1st Cavalry at that time and place. My dad was in the horse-drawn field artillery. He rode horses along the border chasing banditos with a 1903 Springfield and 1911 .45 Colt. He also spent considerable time in Juarez chasing Mexican wimmin.

Dutch

ANeat
03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
He may mean a collet like the Collis morse taper adapters. Each one is for a specific size. I can recall ever seeing an in-expensive import of those.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z311/pendumfg/Collet916b.jpg

82nd airborne
03-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Dutch, Tell your dad thanks if he's still with us, things were much harder in his day in our line of work than they are today im sure. My respect for previous generations of servicemen has no end, they are the reason we can be on here, no to mention the vast other freedoms we take for granted....so thanks!

ANeat,....Thats what i was thinking of!!! like i said its been 5 years or so since ive messed with it and im as amerature as they come! i appretiate all the advice from everyone, it's nice to be able to get pointers when needed.

82nd airborne
03-30-2010, 09:35 AM
found some on ebay! thanks again all!