PDA

View Full Version : Lube Grooves?

beng
03-28-2010, 01:09 PM
I have went through the questions about "LUBES" but can not find out my question. I know it's there some place. Question. "I use a soft lube in my 45-70, it's only used for silhouette shooting. The mold is a RCBS 458 with 3 lube grooves. I have seen others with one, two or three grooves. How many grooves should be used for lubrication?" I have been told 1 to all 3. Thanks for your help

stubshaft
03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
It depends on your rifle and load. YOU have to try shooting the boolit with only 1 groove filled then 2 grooves and finally all 3 grooves. In the course of your shooting you will find exactly what your rifle/load prefers. My 45/70's with the RCBS 405gr boolit likes all 3 grooves filled with BAC. I get the best accuracy and do not "run out" of loob.

geargnasher
03-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Black or smokeless? Big difference in lube groove design.

Gear

Edubya
03-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I have went through the questions about "LUBES" but can not find out my question. I know it's there some place. Question. "I use a soft lube in my 45-70, it's only used for silhouette shooting. The mold is a RCBS 458 with 3 lube grooves. I have seen others with one, two or three grooves. How many grooves should be used for lubrication?" I have been told 1 to all 3. Thanks for your help

Beng, If you can get by without using all of your grooves, You can do as some other enterprising soul on this forum did and sell 'em:groner:
EW

Casting Timmy
03-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I have the Lyman 405gr and fill up all but the first lube grove. I just don't fill that one because I load the bullet out far enough it would be exposed lube if I didn't.

I would fill all of them if you can, or just a few if needed. You don't want to worry about dropping it on the ground and getting everything stuck in exposed lube.