PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks not fitting

PacMan
03-28-2010, 10:39 AM
I am new to casting and not sure if i ordered the wrong GC's or not. Received my LBT mould yesterday (.357 / 180 gr FN gas check) using wheel weights as alloy. Anyway i had ordered Hornady 35 cal. #7110 gas checks and they are to big.

Did i order the wrong size? After following Verals instructions and some trial and error i had the mould producing very good bullets. When i do things right the bases fill out perfectly but the checks are to big.

Any help is muchly appericated.

Dwight

RayinNH
03-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Dwight when you say loose I'm assuming you mean you don't have to push to get them on and not like .40 cal on a .35 cal packaged wrong loose :mrgreen:. Have you tried to run the boolit and check through a sizer to see if they'll crimp on? You could anneal a few to try if they don't crimp on tight. Just heat them with a propane torch until slight red and then quench in water. This should do unless Veral's mind was somewhere else when cutting the mold...Ray

PacMan
03-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Ray.
actualy the base of the bullet will fit into the check without any force.I have runthem through the sizer and if i apply enough preasure and sort of bump them up they will stay on but most of them will twist on the shank.

I will try anealing and se what happes.

Once again thanks for the info.
Dwight