PDA

View Full Version : High Point Pistols

Gary Carter
03-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Anyone familure with the High Standard line of handguns? My cousin is looking at one at the local gun shop, and we know nothing about the manufacturer. I believe he is looking at their 1911 model.

bobthenailer
03-28-2010, 07:56 AM
if your talking about ther 22 autos ? i have 5, and have owend 3 others . bought my first in 1976.

Kraschenbirn
03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
If it's an original High Standard...as in actually manufactured by the original High Standard company (Hamden or East Hartford)...and in good condition, it's most likely a darn fine piece. If it's a "Mitchell" High Standard, it's most likely a ***. So far as the guns from the "new" High Standard Manufacturing (Houston), they seem somewhat overpriced and I've seen mixed reviews on their quality.

So far as I can recall, I don't believe there's been a time since I bought my first HS target gun...a 5 1/2" "Military Citation"...in 1968 that I haven't owned at least one.

Bill

HeavyMetal
03-28-2010, 12:02 PM
The "Original" High Standard never made a 1911 platform.

This is a "private" label deal brought in from a maker in the Phillipines and marketed under the High Sandard and, I think, Charles Daly names.

Have your buddy pull the barrel and check the bore! Had a guy I worked with buy one of these. Parts were 1911 compatable but the barrel looked like a corn cob inside and leaded like crazy.

A new Bar Sto cured that problem and the gun has worked very well for him since then.

Base your need and price on the condition of the barrel!

Hickory
03-28-2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.highstandard.com/index.html

This is High Standards web site
They make all kinds of guns now.

9.3X62AL
03-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Hickory, THANK YOU for posting that link. The pricing on the 22 rimfire pistols isn't surprising, back in the 1970s the upper-end H/S target guns cost as much or more than a S&W M-41.

Gary Carter
03-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Sorry talked to him today, it's a Hi-Point not a High Standard. I probably got them mixed up due to the fact I had at least heard of a High Standard.

waksupi
03-28-2010, 06:29 PM
I was considering one of the Hi Points this last week ,as they were selling for $149.95 here. 45nut told me they go bang, ain't pretty, and shoot somewhere in the neighbor hood of where you are looking. They are by no stretch of imagination anything like a 1911. You get what you pay for, might make an ok tackle box pistol.

wiljen
03-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Anyone familure with the High Standard line of handguns? My cousin is looking at one at the local gun shop, and we know nothing about the manufacturer. I believe he is looking at their 1911 model.

Hi point and High Standard are completely different outfits. Which one was he looking at?

Firebricker
03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
My nephew bought a Hi-point in 9mm they are a little bulky but shot reliably. FB

Gary Carter
03-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi point and High Standard are completely different outfits. Which one was he looking at?

Its the Hi-Point, I misunderstood him at first.

thenaaks
03-28-2010, 08:08 PM
never heard anything good about hi-point guns. in the same category at jennings, lorcin, etc. save a little more money and pick up a nice used one.

RayinNH
03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
About 9 months ago John Taffin did a report on the high point .45ACP for Guns Magazine. He rated it pretty well. He said it was accurate. If one was low on funds but needed a gun for the bedstand he said it was a good buy. He said it wasn't a Texas barbecue gun, kinda ugly. It reminded him of a cordless drill with the battery pack attached...Ray

mooman76
03-28-2010, 11:15 PM
I had one in 9mm and 40. The both shot reasonably well for the money. Weren't pretty but do the job and I never heard of one jaming. Allot of cops get them as a backup throw away gun. They also have a liftime warantee. They aren't in the same catagory as a Lorcin, I owned one and they had a habit of blowing up. Never heard of a Highpoint blowing up and they are made in the USA.

scrapcan
03-29-2010, 01:21 PM
after seeing many in our basic pistol classes, the 9mm and 45 do pretty well. The 40 is another story. I have not seen a 380.

If you get a bad one you will know it. They can be difficult for new shooters as they are quite heavy and their feel in your hands are not like others. They are top heavy.

Freightman
03-29-2010, 02:51 PM
They have a Life Time guarantee! My bro in -law has a old 9mm and about every six or seven years he brings it to me to clean as it starts to misfeed. He will not clean it and said if it didn't work he would just throw it away and get another. He has had it for about 12 years and I have cleaned it twice.