PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Swede Prvi ammo

jumbeaux
03-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Looking at loading some cast with 10.5 grains Unique....most of my brass will be Prvi (once fired)....any experience with Prvi brass ?? Using a Lee Loader (basic)...anything I need to know about using this brass ?? Thank you for helping a real rookie...

jumbeaux

Larry Gibson
03-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Just camfer the case mouth and flair it with a tool that Lee sells or use a pair of needle nose pliars to slightly open the case mouth so lead is not shave off the bullet when you seat it.

Larry Gibson

geargnasher
03-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Prvi-partizan brass has the correct rim diameter compared to most manufacturers who use .30-'06-type rims for their Swede brass. Norma is also correct. Prvi also has the thickest case necks of any commercial brass I've found, usually about .014", which is very good for the oversized chamber neck areas of most military rifles.

In other words, "nny" 6.5X55mm brass is good stuff.

Gear

Tony65x55
03-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Second that completely. Privi brass and a little work just turned a 1.3" Tikka Super Varminter in 6.5x55 into a 1/4" gun.

I was using PMC brass before and getting incipient case head separations after four firings. All the North American 6.5x55 brass mics .473" on the case heads. I guess you can get away with it for factory loads but for serious handloading it plain sucks. After your first firing the case head will be out of alignment with the rest of the casing. Unless you're using small base dies, that condition is permanent and as you can imagine, accuracy suffers.

I still have about 250 Privi casings that I retired years ago after 14 firings. They're in great shape still and if I annealed the necks, I could probably put them back in service. Privi is excellent quality brass.

Stay with Privi, Norma or Lapua for 6.5x55 brass.

mtgrs737
03-28-2010, 10:26 AM
I have some Privi brass in 7.5 x 55mm but have not loaded it yet. It appears to be very well made brass. My load for the two Swedish Mausers with 130gr. group buy Lovern style cast boolit sized .268" cast of WW plus a little Lino thrown in for the tin is 11 to 12 grs of Unique. I seat the boolit so that the base of the gas checked boolit is flush with the base of the neck. I get no leading using the 50/50 lube but the next batch I load will have some of Bullshop's Speed Green in the grooves. Accuracy is as good as I can see so I can't really comment on that. I have been using Winchester and Remington brass but will soon be trying some Norma and Lupua brass that a member here sent me. I neck size my brass after the first firing in a set of Lee Collet dies altered at the factory to correctly set the case neck ID to the larger than normal boolit. The seater die was also altered to handle the larger boolit. I use a Lee Universal case neck flare die and a factory crimp die to just remove the small flare.

44mag1
03-28-2010, 10:46 AM
the stuff I have all has too small of flash hole, Ill get around to fixing it because it is good brass

Uncle Grinch
03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Privi is all I have used in my 6.5 Swede for many years. All my brass came from ammo I purchased at Roses department stores.

Nothing bad to say about it.

Four Fingers of Death
03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
I've bought Privi (sold as Highland Ammunition here) in 7.5Swiss, 8mm Lebel, 6.5Jap, 303Brit, 7.5French and probably a few others. Good stuff.

corvette8n
03-29-2010, 09:57 AM
I use the Privi 6.5 Cancano brass w/10gr of Unique as a plinking load for my sporterized Carcano. Never had a problem.