PDA

View Full Version : Rossi

Ajax
03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Any one heard or had a Rossi .357 snub nose revolver?
Are they any good ?
Would you recommend one?

Any help is appreciated.

Andy

spqrzilla
03-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Wouldn't recommend one, second tier manufacturer.

Trey45
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Andy I had one years ago that would lock the cylinder up after every shot, I had to open and close the cylinder to get it to cycle. If fired 38 specials just fine. There was no grit or debris or tooling burrs under the ejector star, it was just the way it worked, or didn't work. I sent it to Rossi for warranty repair, it was a brand new gun malfunctioning like that. I got it back and didn't fire it, I took it straight to a gunshop there in va. Beach and sold it on consignment. I will never own another Rossi again. I'd recommend you never own one either.

runfiverun
03-27-2010, 10:46 PM
i bought a 357 with 6" bbl about 20 years ago that has worked everytime all the time.
it's pretty accurate and has held up well to the mostly plinkin loads iv'e put through it.
it has had some stout loads and sems a bit more accurate with them.
but it is a true rossi not a taurus sub.

mooman76
03-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I bought a 357 not too long ago and a 44 special a little longer ago both with stubbie barrels. They have shot just fine for be I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy being a snubby. I haven't shot them extensively but have no complaints so far. I picked up the 357 because I was quite happy with the 44 and they were a good buy too.

kingstrider
03-28-2010, 08:17 AM
I don't know the model number but a few years ago I had the snubby 6-shot version in the chromed finish. Looked great, fit into a J-frame holster and shot well at 25 yards. I never had a problem but heard way too many stories about lockups so I traded it for a S&W 638 and never looked back. The last one I saw was used on a gun store shelf and it was completely locked up. If you are the type who buys a gun but seldom shoots it, this would make a decent choice. But if you like to shoot a lot or are considering one for carry purposes, there are better and more proven designs out there to choose from.

mooman76
03-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't know the model number but a few years ago I had the snubby 6-shot version in the chromed finish. Looked great, fit into a J-frame holster and shot well at 25 yards. I never had a problem but heard way too many stories about lockups so I traded it for a S&W 638 and never looked back. The last one I saw was used on a gun store shelf and it was completely locked up. If you are the type who buys a gun but seldom shoots it, this would make a decent choice. But if you like to shoot a lot or are considering one for carry purposes, there are better and more proven designs out there to choose from.

The one I picked up at a gunshow was a 6 shot nickle plated snubbie. I went around and around about getting it. Not because it was a Rossi but because I don't care for nickle and it was SS under the plating. I had just got rid of a Taurus that was SS and it gave me nothing but problems and allot of their SS models were giving people problems. I found out later that SS does give problems sometimes when machining. Anyway I got it and like it.

gon2shoot
03-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes, I've seen them. No, I wouldnt recomend them, at least not the one I saw.

45-70 Chevroner
03-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Taurus has been some what superior to Rossi and since Taurus bought Rossi the rossi line has emproved quit a bit. A friend bought a Rossi in 38 SP all steel 2" snubby. It works very smoothly and shoots fine. No hang ups what so ever. If money is not an issue I would personally buy a S&W. The S&W cost on average is about $100 more.

Crash_Corrigan
03-29-2010, 04:40 AM
I bought a Rossi 357 2" bbl 6 shooter some years ago on the internet. I paid about $200 for it. It was horrible. With factory 357 full house rounds the recoil was painful to say the least. Two or three shots is all you would want to fire. This was a SS model and it just was too painful to shoot 357's in. In .38's it was brisk but controllable and accurate.

The quality of the gun is suspect as it was rough with a lousy trigger and I doubt I would have kept it long. However it was stolen and I never looked back nor will I buy another. I have a Taurus revolver in SS in .38 and it a gem. I also have 3 Ruger single actions, a Taurus 1911, a EAA Witness 9MM and a Browning 9 MM.

These are all first quality guns reliable, accurate and a joy to shoot. The Rossi was in Class F compared to these Class A and B weapons.

Ajax
03-29-2010, 11:10 AM
cool may look at a couple of the used taurus' they had at the gun shop.

Andy

Trey45
03-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Andy,

Superior Pawn and Gun on Va. Beach Blvd, the one next to Krispy Kreme, the pistol case against the right wall all the way in the back has several Dan Wesson's in there, used or consignment guns, if memory serves me right they had a 6 or 8 inch Dan Wesson 357 magnum on the bottom row for either $350 or $370, somewhere in that price range. You can still buy factory new barrels for those, I have a DW 357 mag that 2 years ago I bought a brand new 2" barrel for from the factory. It might be a good idea for you to check it out before buying a taurus.

Throckmorton
03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Based on how my 12 year old Rossi .44special hiccups all the time,I'd say pass.A used 'smith beats a Rossi or Taurus any day if you can afford one.
My 'hiccup' is this ; somtimes the cyulinder will cycle all 5 shots fine,sometimes you can't pull the trigger with both hands,Timing ? I've lubed every spot I can get at,and no help.
Plentry of cylinder gap,no grit under star,etc.

44man
03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
SS is funny stuff. Parts that rub together need to be a different steel composition, hardness or they will stick, gall.
It is a tribute to modern gun makers that they have made it work so well.

excavman
04-03-2010, 11:42 PM
I have a Rossi Mod. 720 SS 44spl 3 inch, I couldn't ask for a nicer carry gun. It's a lot more reliable than the three Charter Arms Bulldogs I've had. Nice finish and never had a jam or misfire.

Larry

warf73
04-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Not sure about todays Rossi's but I had a 6" 357mag in the early 90's bought it new. I was going to us it for deer hunting and normal carry in the woods. I ran maybe 500 rounds of factoy 158 FN and HP rounds threw it, I was very happy with the accuracy.
Dad showed me how loose the cylinder was getting. He handed me his 686 wich had well over 2k rounds threw(his carry gun on the department) it and seen how tight it still was compaired to my gun. I sold the gun at a gun show for what I paid for the 500 rounds of ammo, if I can remember correctly.

missionary5155
04-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Good morning
I have a 3 shot 38 Rossi down here with me. It has never locked up, missfired or burped the wrong way. I carry it regular with Hip Grips on it. I shoot standard 38īs through it and carry it with my own lead +P loads. It does just fine.
Everygun manufacturer out there has lemons. I have seen S&Wīs fall apart at Steel shoots. Rugers that would be better as tomato stakes. Colts that had cylingers far to small for the barrel. So yea ya get a klunker now and then. Thatīs why you take it out and shoot it well before you need it bad.
Happy RESURECTION Day ! Commonly called Easter.