PDA

View Full Version : 223 wssm

Wayne Smith
03-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I posted this over on Reloaders Guide yesterday and got no responses. A friend has a .223 WSSM Browining A-Bolt and wants me to reload for him. He's descovering how much ammo costs. I've got my FFL06 and know the law. I have no experience with loading any .22 caliber and no experience with the short, fat cartridges. How much overbore is this one, anyway?

Any ideas or suggestions for powder/bullet combinations?

Yeah, I'm gonna load some for him, then teach him to do it for himself.

1Shirt
03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Haven't loaded for any of the short fat ones, and will probably never own one as I consider them to be more or less a marketing gimic. I do however load for hornet, K-hornet, 222,223,22-250 etc. No difference in loading for 22's than for anything else just a smaller blt. Suggest you go with Lyman manual recommendations for the most accurate load which is often not the hottest. Don't know about the overbore factor, but suppose it is. Good idea to teach him to load. Suggest you have him buy you the dies and then give them after you load a couple of boxes for him. Then give him the web sites for Mid South, and Midway. Have him sit with you for a couple of loading sessions.
1Shirt!:coffee:

mroliver77
03-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Check this site out Wayne.
http://wssmzone.com/main/default.aspx
.22 CF load like any other CF. It is just harder to hold on to the little buggers. I dont push the limit with mine as things can happen fast when flirting with max charges in big case with little hole.
Jay

Blammer
03-27-2010, 04:07 PM
I'd reference the new Hornady reloading manual, it has good load data for that cartridge.

Just watch what bullets you buy as some 22's have a max velocity you should not shoot them faster than, as they will come apart in flight.

MJR007
03-27-2010, 04:17 PM
I have a 25wssm in a Ar15. The only thing I had problems with was getting the shoulder pushed back enough when I first started. Out side the AR world I see no use for the wssm.

Good luck.

Wayne Smith
03-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Basically I just wanted to know if I needed to go with one of the very slow powders like 870. I have some 4831SC and will try that. Years ago I loaded a 25-06 and used 870.

Hank10
03-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Wayne, I've loaded this cartridge with 4895 and 4350 for a Win. M70. Both these powders produced excellent accuracy and velocity. This case holds about 1 1/2 grs. more powder than the 220 swift. Some shooters just use 220 swift data to start. A friend had one of these in Browning A bolt and we couldn't get better than about 5" groups with it. I picked up this m70 in a trade a few weeks ago,
heavier barrel, target laminated stock and was very surprized to see 1/2" groups
with 55 gr. Hornadys and either of these powders.
H10