PDA

View Full Version : zinc 22 boolits

44mag1
03-27-2010, 01:14 PM
seems to me if 22 boolits were made out of zinc they could be pushed hard. any boolit for that matter. Anyone tried this???

DLCTEX
03-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Use the search function for "zinc boolits", there is some information on this subject in the archives.

prs
03-28-2010, 02:20 PM
Now the berm scrap will be contaminated too.

prs

Tom-ADC
03-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Years ago many years ago I had about 75 pounds of kirksite which is mostly zinc, melted just fine but the bullets it produced were way light compared to the lead we were casting, ended up melting it for rock cod sinkers.

MtGun44
03-28-2010, 10:39 PM
NRA cast bullets of Zamak 3 many years ago with excellent results reported. This was in
the 50s, IIRC. Zamak is a die casting zinc alloy, IIRC. Read this decades ago, can look up
the article if anyone cares.

Bill

Tom-ADC
03-28-2010, 11:34 PM
NRA cast bullets of Zamak 3 many years ago with excellent results reported. This was in
the 50s, IIRC. Zamak is a die casting zinc alloy, IIRC. Read this decades ago, can look up
the article if anyone cares.

Bill

Bill so is kirksite, melts a little higher then lead but makes lousy bullets at least from my personable experience.

lwknight
03-29-2010, 12:15 AM
It don't take but a dab of zinx to make boolits really hard. Recently I posted about purposely melting some zinc in the lead. I had the oatmel dross and the whole works. I fluxed and poured the lead out from under the dross several times till I quit getting the floatie dross stuff.
After that I poured some puddles out onto the concrete that were various sizes about 1/8" thick. Next I bent 1 into a "U" shape easily with thumb and fingers.

A couple weeks went by and I picked 1 of the puddles up and tried to bend it. No go!!
I had to use pliers to bend the lead and it broke instead of bending.
So I learned that air cooled lead with a little zinc age hardens to very hard stuff.
It was not brittle at all and would not break from impact but required a full tight bend to break.

JeffinNZ
03-29-2010, 05:31 AM
The only problem I see is they will be really light and 'park up' very quickly.

goofyoldfart
03-29-2010, 05:47 AM
Jeff : What do you mean by "park up". I'm not familiar with that term?:?

qajaq59
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM
If we keep finding ways to make bullets from the various metals we can drive the antis totally insane. lol

yobohadi
03-29-2010, 11:43 AM
If we keep finding ways to make bullets from the various metals we can drive the antis totally insane. lol

Yep, they will try to get Zinc banned next... [smilie=b:

Would Zinc be too brittle at high pressures when trying to push the velocity limits and cause the bullet to break apart in flight?

sheepdog
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Now the berm scrap will be contaminated too.

prs

Exactly. If I catch anyone putting zinc in my berms they're getting a size 10 enema. Theres no shortage of lead out there, leave the zinc to the cannonballers.

JeffinNZ
03-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Jeff : What do you mean by "park up". I'm not familiar with that term?:?

Slow down.