PDA

View Full Version : Is this leading?

Humbo
03-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Hi fellow casters.
I recently bought a slightly used gun, and saw some marks in the beginning of the barrel. The marks make a similar pattern in all grooves around the barrel, and they're about half an inch long. They have the shape of a spear tip or something similar. Could the barrel be damaged somehow?

http://home.online.no/~kjel-phu/bilder/IMG_4226.JPG

243winxb
03-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Your tool marks on the lands look about normal for some makes of firearms. If you get a lead build up you can easly polish them out. Shoot the gun, see what happens. The marks in the grooves are what you talking about i guess, dont know about them?? You can see photos of leading and barrels here, about 5 or 6 pages of stuff. http://photobucket.com/joe1944usa

Shiloh
03-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Leading has more of a smear look combined with build up. Weird tool marks.

SHiloh

243winxb
03-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Your 2nd photo shows the marks better. They should not be there, but shooting with lead bullets will tell you if its a problem. If lead builds up in that area, it can be polished out i would guess. Accuracy would be another clue.

Humbo
03-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. I tried to srape out some lead with a sharp brass rod, but the barrel seemed clean. It actually seems like those marks are scratched into the barrel itself. What could have caused such a thing? The strange thing is that the marks are in every groove, and it looks almost identical all the way around.
If I want to polish it out, how do I do that? Unfortunately I don't have any ammo for this gun yet, still waiting for sizing dies. Factory bullets and ammo are not for sale here. So for now I can't test if it will lead or lead to accuracy problems.

Cowboy5780
03-27-2010, 10:40 AM
With the owners permission that link should be made into a stick tons of valuable pictures there

Scrapper
03-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Looks to me like the tool marks left from the rifling groove broach tool as they go in the direction the tool would scrape in. Just a thought but you could call the manufacturer and ask them.

Ohio Rusty
03-27-2010, 10:53 AM
They look like something that happened to the reamer at manufacturing. I'd call the company and tell them the barrel is mess up and see if they will replace it. Being it sounds like you are the second owner, they may or may not comply with your wishes.
Ohio Rusty ><>

243winxb
03-27-2010, 11:06 AM
First i would not do a thing till i know i have a problem like leading in that area. I have polished the lands but never the groove. Using "Pearl Drops" on a tight patch.Yes its tooth paste. lol. Google "fire lapping" or look at this link. http://www.davidtubb.com/finalfinish.html Some make there own home made.
What could have caused such a thing? Some one using the wrong tools like>
I tried to srape out some lead with a sharp brass rod,:rolleyes:

Marlin Hunter
03-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Looks to me like the tool marks left from the rifling groove broach tool as they go in the direction the tool would scrape in. Just a thought but you could call the manufacturer and ask them.

Yes, It looks like broach chatter.

Scrapper
03-27-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm glad to see you agree Marlin Hunter. It also looks to me like the barrel on that revolver is like new condition.....Nice Picture BTW Humbo.

montana_charlie
03-27-2010, 01:23 PM
What could have caused such a thing? The strange thing is that the marks are in every groove, and it looks almost identical all the way around.
If those marks penetrate into the steel, they must have been made by something quite 'hard', or applied with considerable force, or both.

It is the kind of damage I would worry about causing when using a home-grown fire lapping procedure...or when attempting to 'shoot leading out' with jacketed bullets.

However, in one of those cases, I would expect similar damage on the lands, as well.

CM

Bkid
03-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Try soaking the barrel in SHOOTER choice lead removal over night. Then in the morning clean it out if it is lead it will come out of there.

Gohon
03-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Shoot the gun first to determine if you even have a problem.

Humbo
03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Will shoot is as soon as dies arrive and see if there's a problem at all. Been waiting for dies from Magma for more than one month now, from now on I'll get my dies from other sources.