PDA

View Full Version : Wishing I'd never bought this *** RCBS Progressive

JSimpson65
03-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Hello All,

My time to vent, I suppose.

After reloading on an RCBS single stage for almost 2 years now, I finally decided to step up to a progressive press. I read all the Dillon, RCBS, LNL, etc. threads on this board and elsewhere until I was crosseyed, and finally decided to go with an RCBS Pro 2000 for loading handgun ammo.

Press was received a few days ago. I spent the first evening setting things up. Took my time so I could be sure things were done right. Second evening I got the dies (45ACP) adjusted up, powder measure set, loaded the primers into the APS strips and thought I was ready to go. Right off the bat, I managed to chew up the first APS strip somehow. Managed to get the APS strip out of the press, assumed it was operator error, and tried again. Got about halfway through the second primer strip and again it jammed up on me. Strike 2. At this point I'm assuming I'm not doing something right, start getting frustated with the thing, so decide to call it quits and start fresh the next day.

Day 3. Take my time, load about 100 rounds without destroying anymore APS strips. Realize the little bent wire piece that is supposed to eject the loaded cartridge won't stay in place more than a few rounds. Tighten it up. Stil won't stay in place more than a few rounds. Tighten it as much as I dare, and still won't stay in place. OK, I guess I'll just have to manually remove the completed round instead - not happy with this. At this point, I'm thinking I'm about finished with the learning curve and things will start to go smoother. I've now spent about 4 hours and have 100 loaded rounds and several destroyed APS strips.

Day 4. Time to load up 200 or so rounds to get the thing working smooth. First APS strip jams up, have to remove shellplate to un-jamb. Add one more APS strip to the trash pile. Now I'm starting to get pretty good at pulling the shellplate to clear the jambs. Load another APS strip, same result after 2 rounds. Remove shellplate again to pry the mangled primer out, manage to finally pull the APS strip out. Put the shellplate back in, take a deep breath, and go slowly to try to sort things out. Try to load first round, and notice that the plate isn't auto-indexing again. Try loosening shellplate to readjust, retighten, etc. Still no dice - won't auto-index anymore.

Now I've finished 4 days. have a whole handful of mangled APS strips. Did I mention the color-coding on the strips is all screwed up (some whites are small primer, some whites are large. same for all colors - mixed small and large). I've now loaded about 100 rounds in about 8 hours. Needless to say, I could have done it a little faster on the old single-stage.

I don't know if I should just ship it all back to Midway, or call RCBS support. I still feel like some of the problems are operator error, but nevertheless I'm running out of the primer strips, press won't auto-index, I have to manually eject loaded round. To top it all off, I have an order on the way for some extra shellplates and die plates as well so if I scrap the RCBS idea altogether I have lots of different stuff to return, from different vendors.

ARRRGGGGGHHHHH why did I ever do this!!!!!!!

Blammer
03-26-2010, 11:11 PM
call midway, tell them it sucks and you want a refund, if they don't, c all RCBS and tell them you want a refund, when you get it, order a dillon, you won't be sorry.

JSimpson65
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
At this point, I think you're probably correct. I expected a certain learning curve going from single stage to progressive, but this is way beyond what I expected. I'm almost thinking about just sending the whole thing back, along with all the accessories I bought from both Midway and MidSouth, and sticking with the single stage. If the RCBS is any indication of the problems that go with the complexity of a progressive, maybe I'll just keep it simple (but slow) on a single stage.

JesterGrin_1
03-26-2010, 11:39 PM
From the amount of ammo that you reload I think you will find the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press to be all that you really need. It is a great press. It is an auto index Turret press. It will only load 1 round at a time but with each pull of the handle moves to the next die. And this press can also be used as a single stage if you so wish. Do a search as many on this forum like myself use this press. And I am very happy with it. :)

Another plus is that the 4 hole turret heads are I think less than 10.oo each. So you can set up that turret as you like and can change out the turrets in just a few seconds. And did I mention the Lee Classic Turret press is less than $1OO.oo. :) I load the .38Sp/.357Mag .44Sp/.44Mag . .243/270/30-06/45-70 and soon the .35 Whelen.

Firebricker
03-26-2010, 11:49 PM
I would'nt give up quite yet I think I would try RCBS support first then if it does'nt improve return it. RCBS has a pretty good reputation for customer service and midway is good about returns. If you do return it a would go for a dillion 550 or a LNL. Once you get used to a progressive press there great. Hang in there FB

7of7
03-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I went from a single stage to a Dillon. (550B) My only dislike is that the handle doesn't pull itself, and the bullets and brass don't jump on by themselves...(I have to do something..LOL What do I expect for 130.00)
It have much of a learning curve to it at all. I think loading the primer tubes sucks, so I bought a bunch of them so I can load a bunch of them and have them ready for a loading session...
I found that the small magnetic parts bowl that Harbor freight tools sells work great as bullet trays. I don't have a strong mount so it is mounted to the bench, and the additional height of the magnetic base places it at a good height.
I can load 100 rounds of 45acp in about 15 minutes... No, that doesn't equate to 400 per hour, as you have to reload the primers, and if you don't have a bunch of tubes loaded with primers, it slows you down.

I really enjoy my Dillon. For straightwall brass, I use carbide dies, for bottleneck, I don't size on the dillon, as I check the trim length. RCBS X-dies will fix that in the near future...
I load 45, 38 spec/357 magnum, 30 carbine, 30-30, and 30.06. It is great... I found an adjustable tool head so I do not need two tool head setups for the 38/357, I just have to adjust the sizer die and change the powder bar..
It is easy to use, and I would definitely recommend it.

dromia
03-27-2010, 02:28 AM
I'd want to know why it isn't working, is it me, the machine or a fucntion of both.

So I'd phone RCBS first and try and talk trough the issue with their techies. If its my problem then find out what I'm doing wrong and learn from it, if its their problem they give them a chance to fix it.

I run an RCBS Ammomaster progressive, no longer made, and its been working flawlessly for 15 years and my Hornady LnL has been doing the same for 5 years.

The learning curve shouldn't be that steep as you ar familiar with the handloading process from using a single stage so it seem to me that its probably a problem with the press.

So me I'd ring RCBS before chucking it.

Southern Son
03-27-2010, 02:59 AM
J,
Mate, you must be frustrated. Like the other guys said, call the RCBS Support, see if you can't sort it. If it still ain't what you want, get a 550 Dillon. If you have trouble with that, then maybe winning lotto and buying factory ammo might be for you. :kidding:

7of7
Get the case feeder if you are loading Pistol ammo, 400rounds an hour is easy. In an hour and a half, I filled 2 x 2 liter icecream containers with .38Spls. I put the bullets (I am still using commercial cast bullets in the 686 S&W) in a cat/small dog feeder/waterbowl. The kind with a resivoir that fills a small bowl as you remove the food from the bowl.

357maximum
03-27-2010, 03:18 AM
I can still remember my ol man furiously unbolting and quite literally tossing his month old RCBS piggyback out the french doors...........I really enjoyed seeing his normally stoic self lose it for a change. :bigsmyl2: The piggyback FLEW that day.

He replaced it with a Dillon 450 and ALOT later upgraded parts to make his a 550 after he was over to my house one day and saw my 550 in action.

You will not hear me recommend another product over an rcbs product very often, Dillon progressive presses and hornady dies would be about the only times in fact.

RCBS will take care of you one way or the other. Their customer service still means what it says.

willk
03-27-2010, 11:38 AM
I've had a Dillon 550 for years. The learning curve is about 15 minutes. If you keep it clean and pay attention to the primer arm, you should have ZERO problems. RCBS has great customer service. However, you just sold me on getting another 550 and throwing the idea of a Piggyback out the door. Love the 550. Never a worry, the thing just works.

3006guns
03-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I had a very dear friend years ago (now deceased) that bought one of the first piggyback units brought out by RCBS.

After two days of struggling with it, he read me a letter that went something like this:

"Gentlemen,

"I do not know who does your research and development, but from what I have experienced with your new product (piggyback adaptor), I can assure you that they would be far happier in either the housekeeping or fast food industries."

"Never, in my many years of working with reloading equipment, have I ever seen a more poorly conceived, badly manufactured piece of equipment. The fact that it carries the RCBS name makes the situation all the more heinous."

"Myself, along with two friends, have struggled valiantly with your instructions to no avail. Between us we have two Ph D's, three AA's and one Master of Science degree, not to mention many years of reloading experience. We could not get this device to function as promised."

"I demand that you correct the situation, either by refunding my cost in full including shipping, or some other means that will be to my satisfaction."

signed

A brand new unit arrived at his doorstep three days later with an apologetic letter and a request to return the defective unit in the same box. A check was enclosed to cover the return shipping. I remember he used the new one for about a year then sold it to someone, going back to his single stage Hollywood. I still have a copy of the letter and refer to it when expressing my displeasure to the occasional non performing company.

Ford SD
03-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I have the piggy back press will try to post a picture of my home made shell extractor that will fix one of your problems

Bottom of shell plate needs to have no burrs and indent ball need to move up/ down no sticking

Charging battery in camera will try to post when charged

Ozark Howler
03-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Unfortunately.....advice sometimes comes a little late, but take a look at the RCBS progressive presses that they have obsoleted...there's a good reason. Then look at Dillon's track record....need we say more !

Lloyd Smale
03-27-2010, 01:59 PM
im a big fan of rcbs products but i too have to shake my head when it comes to there progressive presses. Youd think after they saw how well dillons sell and the hornadys have since they came out that theyd want to make a product that captures a part of that market.

StarMetal
03-27-2010, 02:24 PM
My best friend had a 4x4 RCBS progressive which I believe to be among the first ones and we loaded thousands of rounds on it with nary a problem.

Ford SD
03-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Here is my fix for the RCBS Case Ejector

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy89/Jhsfun/Rcbshomeimproved.jpg

Wire used need to be small enough to fit in hole with set screw 1/16"
and leg (that fits in hole is longer than RCBS one (7/8")
You only have to tighten set screw enough to stop up/ down movement (very light)
Just trial and error with a pair of vice grips (remove burrs)
the longer it is with a gentle curve the better
first one had only a single wire (like rcbs) but longer
but when using different cal would some times not work
I ended up with this version using the largest cal I load and getting no jams @ for the smaller cases popped out easy
In the picture it looks like it will hit the rivet on shell plate but sits above with lots of clearance so much that you can pop out the shell plate with out removing extractor/ejector

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy89/Jhsfun/Rcbsfactoryeject.jpg

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy89/Jhsfun/Rcbscomparison.jpg

A very light dab of grease under shell plate and shell plate bolt also helps but keep grease away from primer area (grease or use other lube where shell plate presses)on alum base

PS
I do not like the way primers get seated and no way to check got high primers
so single stage deprime
and use a hand primer to seat primers (and allow me to watch TV and hand primer you can work by feel)
changing primer setup is a pain on this press small-large and the one you want is never the one in it

2 presses one small primer and one large is the way to go

another fix the powder measure rocks a bit so added a pc of a pop can under uniflow adapter

Another PS Parts
Tried getting a spare adapter tube (Clear plastic ) and can not find one as well as other parts
as RCBS does not want me as a Customer
(Im in Canada and they do not have a office and they will not ship to Canada)

357maximum
03-27-2010, 04:29 PM
My best friend had a 4x4 RCBS progressive which I believe to be among the first ones and we loaded thousands of rounds on it with nary a problem.

:kidding:Joe...I have an RCBS piggyback, a maverick, a pinto, a few politicians, an AR7 and a winchester 100 to sell........ wanna make me a bid on a package deal? :kidding:

:kidding:Maybe you have a gift for getting use out of worthless things...opportunity knocks but once, heres your chance to shine. :kidding:

StarMetal
03-27-2010, 04:39 PM
:kidding:Joe...I have an RCBS piggyback, a maverick, a pinto, a few politicians, an AR7 and a winchester 100 to sell........ wanna make me a bid on a package deal? :kidding:

:kidding:Maybe you have a gift for getting use out of worthless things...opportunity knocks but once, heres your chance to shine. :kidding:

Well Mike, I didn't say it was a jewel, I said that it worked with no hang ups. Now here's what was the matter with it that I spoke to the RCBS engineer in charge of about fixing. First the ram head, which supports the case head indented .30 of an inch in just 3000 rounds of 5.56. I asked the engineer what that piece was made of and he said cast steel and heat treated. He wanted out ram head back ASAP and it was sent in and replaced and no further problems. The other area that wasn't engineered good was if you didn't seat a primer correctly, that is messed it up, you couldn't slide the case out the station because they didn't put that groove for a high primer to clear like in shell holders. He was told about that too and said they would correct it. With the new properly heat treated ram head we had no further problems. Indexed smooth, fed primers well, and we buzzed along loading ammo. Like the other poster mentioned what slows you down is running out of primers and feeding the dang thing cases.

Honestly, you have a Pinto? Nah, tell me it isn't true. [smilie=w:

quasi
03-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I had a Dillon 550 and a RCBS 2000 at the same time,used both of them for a while. I preferred the RCBS 2000 for several reasons over the 550. I sold the 550.

I have never had a problem with the primer strip system, are you perhaps loading the strips improperly?

JSimpson65
03-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Hello All,

I made a little progress this morning with the press. I started trying to sort out the indexing problem first as that seemed the most critical. I had already tried loosening and repositioning the shellplate a few times last night and couldn't get it to index. I had no problem with this on the initial setup and the instructions clearly stated to make sure it was installed in the right position. This morning, I found I could make it index manually if I throw the indexing pawl at the rear by hand. From there, I found that the vertical steel plate at the back (return cam?) that shifts the pawl to the left on the upstroke had shifted just enough that it wasn't moving the pawl enough to index. Loosened up the two allen screws, reposition, still not quite there. Loosen and reposition again, finally got the press to auto-index again.

Now I just need to get my primer problems resolved and we may be getting somewhere. Tried RCBS customer support this morning and the message said they're open something like 6:30am to 4:30pm West coast time, Mon to Thurs, which doesn't do well with my work schedule.

My problem with the primer strips seems to be in getting them started. Once I get going, I usually don't have problems. The first primer or two is usually where the problems are. On day 3 I loaded about 100 rounds, slowly and carefully without mangling any strips. Day 4 was back to the primer problem, then the index problem surfaced.

Looks like I may eventually get there if I can get a few more issues resolved.

Joe

Heavy lead
03-27-2010, 08:08 PM
It's too bad to spend that kind of money on something and have it not work. I struggled over the decision to buy the LNL or the 550, finally chose the LNL, and now have two and another on the way. I'm sure the 550 would be great, I'm glad now I thought the RCBS was too expensive, that is the only reason I didn't consider it although that primer strip system seemed like a good idea, I guess not.

357maximum
03-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Honestly, you have a Pinto? Nah, tell me it isn't true. [smilie=w:

Yep...got me a whole bag of em in the cupboard.....every one of em is worth more than the other pinto me thinks. My dad did have one for awhile and then my uncle added it to his yard full of em.......he liked them..........if you had about 12 of em you could keep one of em going long enough to go between work/home/ and auto parts suppliers apparently.

Sarg
03-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Send it back ... not worth fighting with a piece of equipment when you need to be watching other more important areas.

Cowboy T
03-29-2010, 04:59 PM
I agree, don't fight the gear, especially for what it costs.

Send it back and get a Lee Pro 1000. With the optional case collator, it's less than $200 including shipping. I was satisfied enough with the first one that I bought a second one, and I haven't regretted either purchase. Also, all that money you'll save will buy you a *lot* of components. :mrgreen:

Firebird
03-30-2010, 12:03 AM
I have a RCBS 2000, are you moving the press handle all the way back up and forward when you have priming problems? If I short stroke the handle, I ruin a primer strip when I go to seat the next primer. If I get the handle moved all the way up and forward so the current primer seats correctly and the strip ratchet moves the strip the entire way to the next primer I don't have any problems.

Doc_Stihl
03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Make sure you're inserting the primer strips in the correct direction. They only go 1 way.

Jaybird62
03-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I'll bet your indexing problem comes from advancing a case without a primer in place. That lets loose powder get under the shell plate and it gums up the process. I've used the APS strips, had them get frustrating, chaged to the primer tube and back again. Since yours is a new 2000 I'd guess that you have a mis-alignment problem with the little plastic gizomes that hold the strip once it advances. I've had my 2000 for about seven years and like it. I just finished filling a .50 cal ammo can with .45 ACP and getting ready to switch to .223. Give RCBS a chance to remedy your problem. They're good folks.

cheese1566
03-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Call RCBS and nicely tell them that everything you have tried isn't working and specifically what the problem is.

Suggest to RCBS (nicely) to "upgrade" your press to the optional primer tube style mechanism to see if it remedies your issue (and satisfaction!).

Here is a link to the optional primer mechanism upgrade: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=765442

quasi
03-30-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree, don't fight the gear, especially for what it costs.

Send it back and get a Lee Pro 1000. With the optional case collator, it's less than $200 including shipping. I was satisfied enough with the first one that I bought a second one, and I haven't regretted either purchase. Also, all that money you'll save will buy you a *lot* of components. :mrgreen:

A LEE 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? ???????????????

your kidding I hope.

JSimpson65
03-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Somewhat of an update.

It was obvious from Sunday that the auto-indexing wasn't working right. If I tighten the shoulder bolt for the shellplate snug, the press binds up. If I leave it slightly less than tight, it works, but will loosen the shoulder bolt w/ each cycle. Load one round, tighten bolt ... load one round ... tighten bolt. Not good. I think the indexing problem is related to the primer problem. Sometimes the press will index about 80% of the way to the next station and stop. I think this may be what was causing me to chew up the primer strips, but not sure. Hard to tell when so much stuff isn't working right at once.

Took off work an hour early Monday, went home to call customer support. Called 30minutes before they close, was on hold for 15 minutes. Finally got a service rep on the phone and explained what was going on. She put me on hold to check something, and about a minute later I was disconnected. Called back and got a recording that customer service was now closed, even though it was actually 10 minutes before closing time.

Not exactly helping their reputation in my mind at this point.

Called again today from work, explained the situation with the press, and told the service rep I was at work and not at the press so I knew it would be tough to sort out. He said something doesn't sound right based on my description, and told me to check the plate over the priming mechanism, below the shellplate. Said sometimes they aren't milled flat enough and can make the shellplate bind up when you tighten the shoulder bolt. He was nice enough to take my number and told me he would call me back tomorrow afternoon in case I had a problem getting through again after hours.

I did ask him what my options are if we can't get the press working to my satisfaction. He mentioned one option would be to ship it back to RCBS (at my cost) for them to fix/exchange it, or even for $ credit towards other RCBS products. I told him I wasn't happy about paying to ship a product that was defective from day one and he said I could send a note with the press asking them to refund the shipping back to me. I'm not sure now if I want to ship it to them to fix/exchange, send back to Midway for exchange/refund/buy Dillon, or what.

I'm going to check the press tonight based on the phone call today, then decide what I want to do.

Joe

Doc_Stihl
03-30-2010, 08:47 PM
I'd suggest sticking with the press until you figure out what's going on.

I've loaded on a few different dillon models, several Lee pro1000s, and the RCBS Pro2k. In the end, they're all complex(can be) machines that will each have their quirks. RCBS will generally fix the problem if given the chance.

Bradley
03-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I've been using a couple RCBS 2000 for years. Never had a serious problem. Not one. And their customer support is excellent.

Do you have the manually or automatically indexing version?

Would be really helpful to see digital pictures of the mangled strips as they are setting in the machine after you get the plate above them removed. Might be able to figure out what's wrong if I could see that picture.

Colorado4wheel
03-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Having talked to a RCBS owner the other day it obviously has some flaws. Send it back while you still can. BTW, he has a LnL now and is very happy. I'm a Dillon guy for now but the LnL is a good choice as well. Manual indexing is not as bad but the auto indexing is the worst then have.

Ford SD
03-31-2010, 12:29 AM
I have another fix got you that i just thought of that I had to do

I had the shell plate binding on me as well but only one of my shell plates need this fix

Do the Pop can fix cut a pc of metal from a pop can and punch a hole or 2 in it the size of the shell plate bolt if you do not have a punch try a pc of brass 9mm/38 and use a chamfer tiil get in side sharp
Put metal on the end grain of a pc of wood and punch a few holes( inside of washer)

Then cut small washers for the bottom 1 washer is all you might need but cut a couple so you have a spare

Will allow you to tighten down that shell plate bolt:mrgreen:

jeff423
03-31-2010, 07:26 AM
Why is it your responsibility to fix RCBS's engineering and manufacturing problems? Send it back, get a refund, get a Dillon. I have been very happy with all the RCBS equipment I have but I wouldn't buy one of their progressives.
Before I got a Dillon I had an early Hornady LNL. It had ejector problems that then caused indexing problems. After several days of troubleshooting, talking to customer service and even following a thread that showed how to make your own (better) ejector wire I said enough! Why should I correct their deficiencies?
I returned it, bought a Dillon and never looked back. Is the Dillon perfect - no. Is it the best I've seen - yes.
FWIW: I live in the central time zone. On the few times I've needed it, I have always been able to get Dillon's customer service on my schedule - they are also available on Saturdays.

Jeff

45 2.1
03-31-2010, 08:29 AM

Problem might be where ya'll was born..................:holysheep Michigan humor for Mikey.......... Hee hee

jbremount
03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
call midway, tell them it sucks and you want a refund, if they don't, c all RCBS and tell them you want a refund, when you get it, order a dillon, you won't be sorry.

Exactly what I would do........Get a Dillon 550b, Dillons have great reviews on numerous websites and posts, a no bull sh**t warranty for life. Like they say, everyone can't be wrong.

hogblue
04-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Hey fellas,

New here, found this thread on the 2000. Just set mine up, manual index and it started flipping primers upside down and some sideways. Was loading 45 acp. Called RCBS and they asked if the primer seat was fully centered in the shellplate hole. I told them it was just sitting to the outside edge of the hole.

They said that was the problem and would send a new shellplate holder assembly. This took 4 WEEKS. Installed the new part and it started flipping primers sideways again. It also broke the edge of the shellplate next to the priming hole as it did on the first one. Called RCBS and was on hold the normal 45 min. Multiple calls to RCBS, needless to say I'm not a happy camper.

Explained the problem to them and they sent me a return label for the whole press. It's at the factory now and I'm waiting to see what they are going to do. The APS sucks. If they will give me a refund I'm getting a Dillon.

mroliver77
04-03-2010, 06:46 AM
If you are wanting to load ONLY pistol ammo and want a true progressive I recommend the Dillon Square Deal. The 550 will do pistol or rifle but is a manual index machine. I love my SD machines! They will fly through a pile of brass rather fast and load some darn good shooting ammo. Drawback is that all the parts(even dies) are proprietary to this machine. Nothing Dillon is cheap. I have two 550 and two SD and have not had to use their warranty so far. I have a Lee pro 2000 that gave me gray hair. After several bouts with it I can load ammo on it. The primer feed sucks big time!! Actually primer feeding is the low point on most any press.I have found that cleanliness is a must on any progressive. Like Jay said(the other Jay) miss a primer and leaked powder causes havoc! I keep an air compressor close to my bench and blow clean any powder immediately.
I know how frustrating this can be. Sometimes it is best to fall back, take a breather(sometimes for days) and then slowly go back over everything from step one. I have had a few machines try to beat me but when I decided I was going to win and set my mind to it I did. Well, or I kilt it!
Jay

hogblue
04-03-2010, 08:04 AM
I've had a 550 and sold it because I was not sold on the powder measure. Thought the 2000 would be better because of the rotor on the powder measure. Had I known of the horrific primer problems the 2000 was going to cause me I would have kept the Dillon.

Also load 223 so a SDB is out of the question.

missionary5155
04-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Good morning
You have had more problems in a short time with that Green Monster than my Dillon 550 has given me in 20 years. I have no regrets I bought into Dillon. Had a Powder Measure Linkcage Break and they sent me a NEW Complete Powder Measure. Then the area where the Primer units slides on the frame wore and they sent me the hardened steel frame insert. Thats it... probably 40,000 rounds loaded happily and without much fuss ever. Be alot more but I am down here in Peru more than up there.
I still have my 1st GREEN single stage JR. press... I still use it for those little runs of unusual calibers (38-50 44-77 ) BUT if I need more than 50 pieces of regular ammo loaded the Dillon gets the call.

nicholst55
04-04-2010, 04:49 AM
While I'm generally an RCBS fan, this thread makes me so glad that I bought a Dillon! I had briefly operated one before, and saw how simple it was to operate. I did watch the instructional video before I set mine up, bit it was too simple to do. The learning curve was about 5 minutes long. I loaded 500 rounds of .45 ACP in the time it would have taken me to size 25% that amount of brass on the Rockchucker! I never looked back.

Like many others, I size rifle brass on my RC press, so I can clean the primer pockets and check to see if it needs to be trimmed. Then I do everything else on the Dillon. This also eliminates any problems caused by flexing shell plates on the Dillon - I've never experienced it, but I've read about it.

With outfits like the USAMTU and the U.S. Palma Team loading their ammo on Dillon machines, I figure that I'm not giving up any precision over a single-stage press.

Dan Cash
04-04-2010, 07:31 AM
I remember my first progressive, a Lee. Over a year's time it turned me from a quiet, reserved devout Catholic to a raging, profane heathern in posession of hundreds of loaded but unprimed cartridges, quantites of crumpled cartridges and broken parts.

My second progressive was a Dillon 550B in 1990 or there abouts. The Brown Truck brought it up the drive. One hour later I had 200 of the nicest .45ACP cartridges you ever saw. It only got better. I returned to my calm, polite, devout status, bathed, combed my hair and returned to normal society. A few years later, I bought a second 550B so one could remain set up for large primers and one for small primers and my wife could help produce ammo. As a result, I got a promotion at work, my health improved and even more sunshine came into my life.
Dan

JSimpson65
04-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Well, I thought I may as well update the status of my Pro200 problems in case others might go down this same path.

After several calls to RCBS, including the one where I took off work early, I have decided to pack the whole thing up and send the press and all the accessories back to Midway & Midsouth. RCBS seems to think there is a machining problem with the press that is causing the indexing problems, and that the indexing problems are causing the primer problems. At this point, I really don't feel like I should be out anymore time and money due to RCBS's poor product quality and just plain don't want to mess with the thing anymore. Even if it gets fixed, I'll always be wondering what other problems will be coming up.

It will probably end up costing me well over $100 to get rid of the thing by the time I pay 3 different shipping costs to me plus return shipping, restocking fees, destroyed components, etc. I bought the press and some extras from Midway, in two different orders, plus some more shellplates from Midsouth. Almost everything has been opened and I don't even have the original packaging for a lot of it. Midsouth says they have a restocking fee, etc., so I may try to send that stuff to RCBS for exchange for other merchandise. RCBS won't refund anything unless you bought it from them, and I sure as hell have no intention of buying another $700 to $800 in RCBS products anytime soon.

Once I get all the refund stuff done, I'm buying a Dillon 650, which I probably should have done in the first place. I can't tell you how much this has disappointed me. I've bought a lot of RCBS stuff in the past couple of years (13 die sets, Rockchucker and Pro2000, plus extras) and apparently wrongly assumed I was paying a premium price for a premium product. Now i feel like I bought a Mercedes only to find out it was a Ford Pinto with a cheap paint job and some fancy rims!

If my experience helps even 1 person from buying from RCBS, then I'll be happy. If I keep 1000 from making the same mistake, I'll be even happier.

Yep, I'm dissapointed.

Joe

JSimpson65
04-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Hey fellas,

Explained the problem to them and they sent me a return label for the whole press. It's at the factory now and I'm waiting to see what they are going to do. The APS sucks. If they will give me a refund I'm getting a Dillon.

Hate to tell you, but RCBS won't give you a refund, or at least that's what I've been told. They will only refund what was bought directly from them, otherwise they will just give you credit for other merchandise. Your experience is exactly why I've decided to cut my losses and try to get Midway to refund everything and go with a Dillon.

dverna
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
My first progressive was an RCBS Green Machine. Truly a Devil Machine.

I have not purchased another RCBS press in over 25 years. Since then I have owned 10 other progressives and I am presently down to 8 machines - 6 metallic and 2 shotshell.

I nearly bought a Grand but the memory of that Green Machine lingered and I decided to pass.

Don

Jared
04-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have had a pro 2000 for close to ten years. I have loaded well over 100,000 rounds through it with no problems. Several friends have them too and really like them. You must have got a bad one, I hate to hear that they wouldn't fox it for you.

In a side note a good friend has a Dillon 550 and has had a lot of trouble with it. Mainly with the priming system while using small primers. He has talked with CS several times and replaced several parts and is still having the same trouble. So it can happen with any of them.