PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 help

eka
07-08-2006, 10:42 AM
First the good news: I was testing some loads with H110 and shot a five shot group at fifty yards (iron sights) with four rounds making one ragged hole and the fifth just barely not touching the holes from the other four. This with 24 grains and a 240 gr. RCBS SWC. To say I was pleased was a huge understatement.

Now, the bad news: As I loaded five more into the tube and attempted to chamber one, the first round jammed tight coming out of the tube. I removed the lever and the bolt. I tapped the rim of the jammed round and was able to free it. I then removed the rest of the rounds. Now, the big problem. Upon trying to re-assemble the bolt and lever (first time / no instructions), I put the bolt back in and pushed it all the way closed. I think that was where I went wrong in not leaving the bolt partially open. Anyway, I then tried to install the lever. Now, the lever is stuck partially in and I cannot get it in or the screw hole to line up. I also cannot get the lever back out of the rifle. The bolt seems to be locked in the closed position. After tinkering for a couple of hours, doing some major league head scrathing, and drinking a pot of coffee, I come to you guys for some advice. Is it gunsmith time, or am I missing something simple?

Thanks for any advice,

Keith

StarMetal
07-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Keith,

First off don't get discouraged and force anything. If you can assure the bolt ISN'T locked and I assue the lever would have to be in the closed position to lock the bolt, I'd take a long rod, wood, brass, cleaning rod, and insert it in the muzzle and gently tap the bolt out. Use somekind of protection on the tip of the rod so you don't mar the face of the bolt.

Joe

9.3X62AL
07-08-2006, 11:18 AM
The "locking block" can prevent opening of the bolt. Once the bolt moves back just a taste, you should be able to wiggle the end of the lever and pull it free. Just go slow, and it should resolve itself without professional intervention.

Sounds a little like a mental health question when answered, doesn't it?

eka
07-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Ok, Joe and Al, thanks for the therapy.

I took my dowell rod pieces that I use for slugging bores and attempted to tap the bolt back. It will not move back more than a thousandth or so. Tried wiggling the lever, but I don't think I have the bolt back far enough yet. Any way to disengage the locking block in order to get the bolt back enough? Maybe I wasn't tapping the bolt hard enough, but I felt like I probably tapped hard enough that I would have gotten some movement if it was going to.

Thanks,

Keith

imashooter2
07-08-2006, 12:27 PM
The locking block will fall by its own weight if it isn't bound in its slot by pressure from the bolt or held up by the lever. How close is the lever finger ring to the receiver?

eka
07-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Success!!!

I ended up having to pull the hammer assembly to get the locking block down enough to be able to tap the bolt back with the dowell rods. I figured since I was almost there anyway, I may as well strip it on down for a major cleaning. Not exactly what I had planned on spending a half a day doing, but it was a learning experience. I had wanted to do that anyway, but was a little intimidated about the whole thing. So, now I know. I suspicion that a loose loading gate was the culprit in the initial jamb, but I don't know for sure. I also softened that sharp point on the lever cam with a file, so I can hopefully avoid the "Marlin jamb".

So, after major surgery, the Marlin is resting comfortably in it's assigned place in the safe. My finger tips are sore and my wife is a little annoyed that all I have managed to do around here all day is play with that gun.

Anyway, many thanks to you guys for bailing out a pal in a bind.

Thanks,

Keith

C A Plater
07-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Near as I can figure from the description, it may be that the lever is wedged against the bolt. I would give serious thought to removing the buttstock and trigger guard plate to get the lever and locking bolt out of the way. One picture being worth a thousand word, here is a link to an exploded drawing: http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/mar1894.htm

Oops, too late but the drawing may still be of use putting it back together.

Duckiller
07-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Have had similar problems with my 1894. Often came home from the range or hunting with the lever open and rounds in the magazine.Last time to gun store they said it was fixed. Bought a box of bullets and loaded it(clerk not happy) tried to rack out bullet. Jamed again. Shop sent gun to Marlin. Shot a bunch at range ,worked ok til loose part caught shell in magazine. Needed instructions on how to take gun apart. "Cowboy and Indian Store"in Anahiem/Santa Ana ph no. 714-210-2720 has a DVD on how to take apart and put back together. Approx $20.00 when I got mine. Not sure it will play on computer. Does play on TV. Very good, with appropriate cautions about parts that fly across rooms or drop on floor. Duckiller

eka
07-08-2006, 10:59 PM
C A Plater, thanks for the exploded drawing, it is much better than the one I was trying to use earlier.

Also, Duckkiller, I hope this is not a reoccuring problem. I must admit, I have had this rifle for twenty five or so years and had not shot more than a couple of boxes through it until I pulled it out of the moth balls to shoot cast in it. I have really enjoyed this new found friend. What I'm really working toward is a cast bullet deer rifle for my eleven year old son. I found some pretty detailed instructions by searching the net. The instructions were from a person called Rusty Marlin and they dealt with detailed cleaning of the Marlin. They worked anyway. Thanks again.

Keith