PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Questions

7br
03-26-2010, 08:57 PM
I was saving for an ar15 last year, but stuff came up. Wife said I could use some of the tax return to purchase a lower. I have a line on a Rock River Arms lower. I am assuming a Stag upper will fit with no problems. Am I correct? I want a 6.8spc with a 20" barrel and Rock River doesn't make one.

StarMetal
03-26-2010, 09:01 PM
I was saving for an ar15 last year, but stuff came up. Wife said I could use some of the tax return to purchase a lower. I have a line on a Rock River Arms lower. I am assuming a Stag upper will fit with no problems. Am I correct? I want a 6.8spc with a 20" barrel and Rock River doesn't make one.

Yes the Stag lower will fit. I'm not sure there are many 20 inch barreled 6.8's out there. Most I've seen are 16.

Personally I'd get the 5.56.

m.chalmers
03-26-2010, 10:29 PM
6.8's read here:
http://68forums.com/forums/index.php

Find the barrel you like and build your own. Also, look at the mags you will use. C-products cost the least
http://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1329
PRI mags take the longest OAL.
Barretts mags are the best, but you pay for it.

DPMS and Stag make 20 inch uppers.
Good luck!

GabbyM
03-26-2010, 10:39 PM
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/index.htm

They have 18" with 1-11" twist match grade stuff. I'm sure they'd build a complete upper in 6.8mm if you'd like.

dk17hmr
03-26-2010, 10:56 PM
My 6.8 barrel is from Bison Armory. http://www.bisonarmory.com/barrels.htm

.75 MOA groups at 100 with 110gr V-max and H322 powder.

7br
03-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Find the barrel you like and build your own. Also, look at the mags you will use. C-products cost the least
Good luck!

My typing skills are way ahead of my mechanical skills. How hard is it to build an upper? Any special equipment needed? Barrel wrench, Vise???

JudgeBAC
03-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Brownells and Midway have videos on how to build an AR and the tools you will need. Brownells even has a special section on building an AR.

GabbyM
03-27-2010, 11:04 AM
My typing skills are way ahead of my mechanical skills. How hard is it to build an upper? Any special equipment needed? Barrel wrench, Vise???

By the time you buy the tools you're money ahead to simply buy it complete. Unless you know someone who has the stuff.

Don't know what you plan to shoot but don't short change the 223 with 8" twist shooting the 65 Sierra SBT Game King or for targets the 69 and 77 grain HP MK bullets.

For deer or pigs the 6.8 would obviously have more lead on target.

I sent some Lyman 122 grain Loverins off last year to a guy to try in his 6.8 SPC but we never heard back as to how they worked out. On paper it looks good especially if you get a 1-11" twist barrel. 270 boolits are much easier to work with than those little 22's.

With that small case and 270 bore the extra barrel length out to 20 inches in theory would be less productive than with smaller bores. But I've never seen a ballistics caomparison.

danski26
03-27-2010, 11:57 AM
To complete a stripped upper you will need a barrel nut wrench, reciever holding fixture and several other job specific punches and tools. Just a guess.....i think less that $100 in tools. It might be more, i really havn''t priced out the tools in a while. I could get you a complete tool list if you need. The biggest tool issue is barreling the upper. No FFL needed to ship the upper and barrel anywhere. So if you know someone who works on AR's with the tools maybe ship the parts and have him put it together for you. We might be able to work something out if you were interested in having me help with the assembly. Otherwise buy the tools as needed and sell them after or see if some could be loaned out from the guys here. We could possibly work out a tool loan also. Always willing to hellp a fellow caster.

StarMetal
03-27-2010, 12:51 PM
If you're building an upper that is a flat top you don't require a receiver fixture to hole it. You just clamp it in your vice that has protective jaws and you clamp it with one jaw on the flat top and the other jaw on the flat both. All that is required then is a barrel nut wrench. I even made my own wrench. It's not true that you "cannot" build it cheaper then you can buy it, especially after you have the tools.