PDA

View Full Version : Hello from western Canada

Canuck Bob
03-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Hello from Alberta. A place where Moose are still a traffic hazard and a Grizzly might eat your lunch if you don't hang it in a tree!

Sorry about the bragging but I do love my country.

I'm a new member who has returned to shooting after 20+ years away from the sport. 56 years young with 2 girls 6 and 8. We adopted from China a few years ago.

I joined here to understand cast boolit shooting to save money, please stop laughing. My route back to shooting started with a flintlock rifle, the only firearm not regulated in my country. Apparently percussion muzzleloaders are a favored weapon of choice for drive-bys.

This week i ordered a Ruger #1 in 303 British, just 303 to us in the Commonwealth. I will be shooting lead as cheap as possible, after long searches that seems impossible. I also will be reloading for my .444 Marlin Moose rifle and round balls for the .54 Lyman Deestalker. Enough history, I've lurked enough to know you are a good bunch of fellows, hope I can add a little something to the group!

dubber123
03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Welcome aboard, you will have a great time here. Lots of great information to be had.

kodiak1
03-26-2010, 07:49 PM
What town do you hang your hat near?

I am from the Rimbey Area.

Ken.

littlejack
03-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the Castboolits.
Jack

hickstick_10
03-26-2010, 08:04 PM
So..............how are things back east?

Hello from British Columbia, (although I cant wait to get out of here to get back to Leduc!!)

That 303 will b e a fine rifle, if your in the Edmonton area be sure to check out the CHAS (Canadian historical arms society) range, some fellas there shoot some pretty good groups with cast on Sundays, very knowledgeable fellas.

Canuck Bob
03-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I live in Calgary and our office is in Red Deer, oilfield sales trash. I thought BC left Canada a few years ago!

BrianB
03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
If you need help with that moose issue, I'll volunteer to come help rid you of those pests!

dnepr
03-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey welcome aboard from another Canuck who also happens to shoot .303 ( ok no suprise there) .444 marlin and a .54 muzzle loader ,

Canuck Bob
03-26-2010, 11:03 PM
If you need help with that moose issue, I'll volunteer to come help rid you of those pests!

Well I've heard turkey hunting can be fun with a flintlock. I assume you might have a few of them around. Maybe we could work a swap.

Canuck Bob
03-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey welcome aboard from another Canuck who also happens to shoot .303 ( ok no suprise there) .444 marlin and a .54 muzzle loader ,

Wow, now that is a coincidence! Also you guys from Kenora qualify to be honorary westerners.

dnepr
03-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Wow, now that is a coincidence! Also you guys from Kenora qualify to be honorary westerners.

Thanks , it is a whole bunch easier to relate to folks from the western provinces than southern Ontario, they seem to think the province ends at Sudbury [smilie=b:. Then again I think the province ends at Thunder Bay ;)

Echo
03-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I live in Calgary and our office is in Red Deer, oilfield sales trash.

Been there (both places!) - and had a job in Rocky Mtn House!

(Mgmt consultant, & the co. sent me all over, including the three western provinces - loved it all)

303Guy
03-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Welcome aboard Canuck Bob. I 'know' a fellow by the name 'Alberta Canuck'. I started using the term 303 Brit when I joined the 'internet age'. It's a great cartridge with plenty history and readily available old Lee Enfields to shoot it in. In a Ruger #1 ...... that is going to be great! A nice long and heavy cast boolit will do just fine. Now, if lower volume shooting gets your interest, paper patching might just suite you. Heaps of fun there! (I have a few Lee Enfields, one chambered in 25-303).

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-563F-2.jpg:holysheep

Artful
03-27-2010, 02:23 AM

Wow - nice collection all I have is Mk4 No1 but I found a 314299 bullet mold in the sales/trade section - so hopefully that will work just fine. being you have all those toys (including suppressed) Do you have any load suggestion?

I'm sure Canuck Bob and myself could use some help -

Hey Bob, where'd you get a Ruger #1 in 303 - I've never seen that caliber before - custom barreled?

303Guy
03-27-2010, 03:01 AM
Well, that suppressed No4 has a two groove barrel. The bore is somewhat rust pitted throughout. That's not a bad thing!:shock: That gun is scary accurate with el-cheapo Highland j-words! The load I use in her is 46gr AR2209/H4350 under 180gr Highland's. There's no hope of shooting cast in her! But, all the others have five-groove barrels. The very short one looked like and old waterpipe before fire-lapping. Now it will pass paper patched boolits without leading. That one and the carbine above it will be shooting 208gr hollow point paper patched boolits over 18.1gr AR2205/H4227 and a dacron filler (tomorrow actually). This is in a heavy walled case.

I have shot 225gr smooth sided cast in my good barrelled gun over a charge of AR2208/Varget to produce about 1800fps. I'll have to look up the charge. This appeared to be a very accurate load. The boolits were dip lubed in molten 'waxy-lube'. Somewhere I have a pic of part of the group. I'll see if i can find that too.

I personally think the 303 Brit is a good cast boolit candidate because it was designed to carry a heavy boolit mostly ouside the case. My cast boolits were designed around the original 215gr boolit dimensions but got a little bigger in diameter to fill the throat.

P.S. You might have noticed I'm bit of a 303 Brit enthusiast.:roll: I'm real interested in that Ruger No1 303!:Fire:

Richard B
03-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi Bob

Welcome

I am from Calgary as well.

Richard

Alberta Separatist
03-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Hi Bob

Welcome:smile:

dragonrider
03-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Hey CB, welcom to CB's

Ron
03-27-2010, 09:08 PM
G'day CB,
A big welcome from one member of the Commonwealth to another. This a great site with a lot of 303 shooters, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

wistlepig1
03-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Welcome Bob, Western Canada is sure Gods country and good fishing!

kodiak1
03-27-2010, 10:11 PM
If Steady Eddie Stelmack keeps making booboo's like he has been GOD will be the only one who will be able to afford to live here.

Ken.

robertbank
03-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Welocme. I left the frozen ice cap in '87. Neither of us have much to talk about given Calgary and Edmonton are both out of the play-offs.:p I am presently chasing a 1" group at 100 yds with my scoped Longbranch. Maybe awhile but I will get there.

Take Care

Bob
ps BC politics are about the same as they always were. You can vote Liberal or NDP. Nice! Both are guaranteed to screw the Province into the ground. The Libs will take only a little longer.

Take Care

Bob

Canuck Bob
03-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Welocme. I left the frozen ice cap in '87. Neither of us have much to talk about given Calgary and Edmonton are both out of the play-offs.:p I am presently chasing a 1" group at 100 yds with my scoped Longbranch. Maybe awhile but I will get there.

Take Care

Bob
ps BC politics are about the same as they always were. You can vote Liberal or NDP. Nice! Both are guaranteed to screw the Province into the ground. The Libs will take only a little longer.

Take Care

Bob

Typical put two of us Canadians in a room and hockey comes up, eh. Calgary really underplayed this year, time for changes. Good Cup hunting!

WHITETAIL
03-28-2010, 07:10 AM
BOB, Welcome to the forum![smilie=l:

Ajax
03-28-2010, 07:16 AM
welcome to the forum Bob.

Andy

Tony65x55
03-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the forum Bob. I realize that I am an "Eastern B*stard" but don't let throw you. There are still some good folks here in southern Ontario. I cut my teeth on a .303 like every other Canadian kid did. I bought it at Canadian Tire in downtown Toronto and took it home uncased on the city bus. No one said squat back then. My, how things have changed! I moved out of the "Centre of the Universe" in the early 70's and I'm glad I did. So now I live in the "905" and avoid the Big Smoke like the plague. Like you, I spend a lot of my leisure time snuggled up to one of my .444's. Great guns!

Doc Highwall
03-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits.:castmine:

zuke
03-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Welcome from Northern Ontario!

Canuck Bob
03-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the forum Bob. I realize that I am an "Eastern B*stard" but don't let throw you. There are still some good folks here in southern Ontario. I cut my teeth on a .303 like every other Canadian kid did. I bought it at Canadian Tire in downtown Toronto and took it home uncased on the city bus. No one said squat back then. My, how things have changed! I moved out of the "Centre of the Universe" in the early 70's and I'm glad I did. So now I live in the "905" and avoid the Big Smoke like the plague. Like you, I spend a lot of my leisure time snuggled up to one of my .444's. Great guns!

Born and raised between London ON and the homestead in Alberta as a kid. Mom was from Parkhill ON, Dad was from Salt Prairie AB, NW of Lesser Slave Lake.

Canuck Bob
03-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Welcome aboard Canuck Bob. I 'know' a fellow by the name 'Alberta Canuck'. I started using the term 303 Brit when I joined the 'internet age'. It's a great cartridge with plenty history and readily available old Lee Enfields to shoot it in. In a Ruger #1 ...... that is going to be great! A nice long and heavy cast boolit will do just fine. Now, if lower volume shooting gets your interest, paper patching might just suite you. Heaps of fun there! (I have a few Lee Enfields, one chambered in 25-303).

Does my heart good to see so many 303's in one place. My family carried them honorable combat rifles in 2 world wars beside thier Aussie brothers (sorry that includes Kiwi's).

In this age of digitally guided ordanance its easy to forget how withering rifle fire can be from thousands of Canucks, Kiwis, Ozzies, and Tommies systematically unloading 10 shot clips accurately at long combat ranges for the era.