PDA

View Full Version : need help here, what do i do?

gray wolf
07-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Just got a mold it's Alum. two Cav. it's stamped MM WP 505.

It drops a .505 white power punch bullet. Great just what I wanted.
But it is a gas check bullet. I don't want to use gas checks, but when i try to size the base gets all goop-ed up with lube ( the sizer thinks there should be lube there) how can I size my boolet without this happening? can it be done.
I was going to have my machinist open the base of the mold to .505 so that the gas check divot would fill out.
I size to .503 and .504.
What do you think?
Also was pre heating the mold on the kitchen stove. then using a Coleman stove
pot and ladle. cast about 75 boolets could not get one to fill out all the way.
the metal is pure lead. (roofing lead) I am thinking cold mold but it just would not catch up with itself. FRUSTRATED I was going to by a lee bottom pour today.
I no this could make things easier but My gut tells me it's not the whole answer.
sorry for the two part ?
Oh the bullet is a 465 grain a biggy and the mold is two Cav.
HELP

Gray wolf

SharpsShooter
07-08-2006, 09:06 AM
If you want to modify it to plain base, contact Buckshot on the board and he can fix you up. Pure Lead is difficult to cast. Add a Small amount of tin to the alloy and your problems will likely go away.

BTW, I use a Lee 20 pound bottom pour and cast boolits that weigh well over 520 grains. They are a great deal for the money.

SS

gray wolf
07-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks, I will ask Buckshot what he thinks.

G W

omgb
07-08-2006, 10:04 AM
Ditto the Buchshot advice. He's done some really fine work for me. Now as to the bullet and mould fill-out. First, please don't pre-heat your mould on the stove. Eventually you're gonna warp that sucker. Just dip a corner into the melt and let it sit there for five minutes or so. Much safer that way.

Pure lead is going to give you fits uless you cast very hot, in excess of 800 degrees or so. Now unless you're shooting a muzzloader, pure lead is not the best option. For what you say you are doing, try this. To a 10 Lb. pot of pure lead add 1/2 of a spool of 50/50 lead/tin solder. That will give you a bullet that will bump up if needed upon fireing and it will cast beautifully. You may even get buy with as little as 1/4 of a spool. Try it and see what works for you.

gray wolf
07-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Yes buck shot was a lot of help.
yes I am casting roofing lead and it is for a muzzle loader, a white Ultra mag.
the bore is .504 my boolets drop at .506 and I size to .5035. white rifles use what is refered to as a slip fit, that is no sabots. it is a 1-24 twist 26" barrel.
it is made for 450 to 600 grain lead trash cans. the bullet loads with finger pressure and the ram rod helps it to the powder. Bumps up when fired. Velocity is about 1300 f,p,s, with a lot of energy. 80 grains pyro. p or 777. max is 140 grains.
it has three breach plugs 209's, musket caps or #11 caps.
It puts down what it hits and can be used to re arrange some land scape if needed.
My mold was not hot enough and my melt was to cool. I will have the gas check shank bored out to .506. this will give me a .060 solid base and keep the 4 grease grooves. I think a little tin in the mix is a good idea. what would give me 2% for a ten pound pot? Thanks for all the help. sorry about being so mouthy. The targets were with open sights.
Gray Wolf

omgb
07-08-2006, 08:40 PM
2% of 10 lbs? Figure there are 16 oz in a pound. 16 times 10 equals 160 oz. 160 oz times .02 equals 3.2 oz. So, 3.2 oz of tin to 10 lbs of lead will get you a 2% mix.

gray wolf
07-08-2006, 08:53 PM
great
thank you
G.W.

montana_charlie
07-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Another way to figure your tin...

There was that advice to add half of a roll of 50/50 solder to 10 pounds of lead.

That roll weighs a pound, and half of that is tin. Half of a roll would be 1/4 pound of tin...or 4 ounces. That's pretty close to the 3.2 ounces in a 2% mix.
CM

omgb
07-08-2006, 10:20 PM
MC, you are absolutely right. However, this other way, I got to show off my wonderful math skills.:drinks: