PDA

View Full Version : Waiting Period??

klcarroll
03-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I realize that this might be viewed by some as a naïve question; …..But I am just now considering getting into swaging, and my practical experience is virtually non-existent.

I want to start by making .224 diameter projectiles using .22LR brass for the jackets; …and I have been reading up on the subject on this forum.

I keep reading about people who have waited 9 months and longer for dies and equipment: ……Is it possible to buy a die set for .22LR “recycling” without the extended wait??

Kent

Sarg
03-26-2010, 11:37 AM
It's "possible" if you find one on Ebay or some other area like that. Swage dies can go from $80-$200 a die with sets going for about $600 from the top makers. That is for the steel versions ... carbide is about 4x that amount. It's not for the faint at pocket book unless you make your own tools. That being said ... the tools retain their value very well - if not increase in value.

Sarg

ANeat
03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
My experience is similar to Sarges, Im close to a year waiting. Its something Ive wanted to do for years so I figured I would get in line, a year one way or another. It would be nice if things were more readily available but I think right now were at a high demand time with limited suppliers

Linstrum
03-26-2010, 01:58 PM
If I had to wait up to a year I'd use the money for the swaging tooling to buy a lathe instead, learn how to use it, and make my own. That wouldn't take a year! When you are done you still have the lathe PLUS your dies. Once you own a lathe you will wonder how you ever got along without it!

I have made quite a few of my moulds and all of my swaging and sizing tools from the get-go back in 1964 when I started this foolishness and became seriously addicted to shooting.

rl765

ANeat
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Thats kind of what Im in the middle of, I started making the press first though ;)

Houndog
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
A case derimming die, squirt die, and the core seating die are fairly easy to make, but a point up die is a whole different story! I still screw up a point up die occasionally, not so much with the others, and the smaller the bullet the worse they are to make. The fastest die turn around I know of is C&H, Corbin, or Larry Blackmon, and you will still wait a good while. If you are wanting a "cadilac" set of dies like Neimi, Dietch or one of the other premium makers, be prepaired for a year wait at minimum and at least $3500 cost, but if you are in bullet making to stay, they ARE worth it! If you come across a set of steel dies made by Ross Sherman or Ferris Pendell, grab em! They are some of the best ever made.

freddyp
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
My wait was not so long. Ordered a Walnut Hill press from RCE and received it in about two months. The dies are on their way, so about four months for the set. Perhaps it was good timing on my part.

klcarroll
03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
If I had to wait up to a year I'd use the money for the swaging tooling to buy a lathe instead, learn how to use it, and make my own. That wouldn't take a year! When you are done you still have the lathe PLUS your dies. Once you own a lathe you will wonder how you ever got along without it!

rl765

Well, ...I already own a 13" Logan Powermatic, .......And while I feel that I could follow in some of the "footsteps" documented here to produce the De-Rimming Die, the Core Forming Die, and maybe even the Core Seating Die; .......The stuff I have read about making the Point Forming Dies scares the krap out of me!!! (I just don't know if I'm that good!)

Kent

Dframe
03-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Waited 8 months for the press. Now at at 10 months and still waiting on dies

DukeInFlorida
03-26-2010, 04:45 PM
This is why MOST of us are OLD guys... We're used to waiting......

:groner:

KTN
03-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, ...I already own a 13" Logan Powermatic, .......And while I feel that I could follow in some of the "footsteps" documented here to produce the De-Rimming Die, the Core Forming Die, and maybe even the Core Seating Die; .......The stuff I have read about making the Point Forming Dies scares the krap out of me!!! (I just don't know if I'm that good!)

Kent

Just go ahead and give it a try. Even thought my point forming die was a failure I consider time used for making it well spend. Now I know what works and how to make my next dies. It will take time, but when you make it work........[smilie=w:.

Kaj