PDA

View Full Version : New screws for old blocks

Echo
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Yo;

I picked up a couple of old Ideal SCRB blocks at the gun show for $5 each - they have the sprue plate, but not the sprue screws, and Lyman doesn't have those old things anymore. I checked @ Ace, and a #8 is too small, and a #10 is too big. Anyone out there got a couple they would sell? I would like to put the blocks back in service.

RayinNH
03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
If you can't find any just drill and rethread to #10...Ray

Echo
03-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Well - Criminy - Why didn't I think of that? Duh...

Mk42gunner
03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
From what I remember, those take a real oddball screw size. You will probably be time and money ahead to use Ray's suggestion.

Robert

Echo
03-28-2010, 12:48 PM
#10 wouldn't clean up, so had to go to #12 - see any #12 screws lately? (I saw #10 screws, a long time ago...). And it needs a step to work right. Tried splitting some brass tube to slide over as a bushing (standard sizes don't fit close enough) - one layer not enough, two layers too much. I am about to use the Biblical Solution, and say "To H... With It!"

If I had a lathe, I could make a couple of bushings to just fit. That will be my mission, should I choose to accept it - find someone with a lathe to make a couple of little bushings.

RayinNH
03-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Echo, if you have a drill press and vice you have a lathe. In the vice put a center drill if you have one, if not whatever drill you need for the appropriate size hole. Set the drill as close to straight up as you can. In the drill press chuck up the material for the bushing, 1/4" rod would probably do. Now eyeball the drill to hit center as best you can. Lower the drill chuck slowly until the bit creates a dimple in the material. The drill will find the center of the material if you eyeball closely. Once you have a drilled tube just cut off a piece with a hacksaw with the chuck running...Ray

montana_charlie
03-28-2010, 09:13 PM
#10 wouldn't clean up, so had to go to #12 - see any #12 screws lately?
What does that mean?

Did you drill and tap for a 12-24 or 12-28 screw?
Or, did you drill a hole with a #17 or #15 bit?

If you're already out to #12, a quarter inch isn't that much further.

There is also the possibility of putting a #10 Heli-coil in the #12 hole if hasn't been threaded yet...and if it wasn't drilled with a #12 bit.

CM