PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Piggy Back Press

willk
03-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Has anyone used this press. Am wondering how difficult it is to change calibers. Are there any other issues. I would use it primarily with .44 magnum and .45 Colt.

My reason for asking is that my reloading space is limited and I have been able to make really good use of the RCBS base plate. A Rock Chucker with the piggy back would be great because I could get it out of the way when I have other projects to complete.

If space was no issue, I would just purchase a second Dillon 550 and may well do that anyway. I would have to give up my utility table that is next to my reloading table. It is predrilled for a strong mount anyway so must just decide.

Thanks

cheese1566
03-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Unsure when putting the piggyback on and off to use the single stage. Should just be the ram adapter and threading it out of the large threaded top of the Chucker.

But, I have big brother, Ammo_Master 2 Auto (same concept and mostly the same parts). Caliber conversion on it is better than my Hornady Projector. Scew out/in dies, adjust powder drop, change shellplate, switch over primer carriage if needed to go from big to small. Changing powder weight takes the longest of anything.

If I ever come across an inexpensive one, I would no doubt buy it for my Reloader Special 3.

Ford SD
03-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Has anyone used this press. Am wondering how difficult it is to change calibers. Are there any other issues. I would use it primarily with .44 magnum and .45 Colt.

My reason for asking is that my reloading space is limited and I have been able to make really good use of the RCBS base plate. A Rock Chucker with the piggy back would be great because I could get it out of the way when I have other projects to complete.

If space was no issue, I would just purchase a second Dillon 550 and may well do that anyway. I would have to give up my utility table that is next to my reloading table. It is predrilled for a strong mount anyway so must just decide.

Thanks

I have 2 of the piggy backs presses one rock chucker ,caliber changes with the extra top plate , are not too bad (longer because i end up doing a clean up under the shell plate

3 top bolts and the top plate come off (allen key)
2 small screws and the indexing rod comes off
1 shell plate bolt and shell plate comes off (allen key)
clean below and reverse procedure with caliber change

piggy back press comes off the main press by
removing a ram extension app 2" long (goes on the same as a shell holder)
loosen / unscrew large nut that holds piggy back press to rock chucker

screw rock chucker adapter back on press and you are set up for single stage

ps
i size/ deprime single stage (allows inspection of brass and easy dicarde of rejects.)
prime using a hand prime unit (not the best press for seating primers)

have a hole in work bench so i can put piggy back standing up right when not in use

Picked 2nd piggy back on ebay cheep so (30 sec cal change for most used caliber)

any other questions ??