PDA

View Full Version : How to do it?

walker77
03-25-2010, 03:21 PM
I have a lyman 429421 mold. Would i be able to use that? Its dropping at .429 - .430 If i remember right, my barrel slugged at .430 So where do i go from here? I looked, i didnt see a sticky on paper patching. Hopefully this would solve my leading problems in my S&W 629.

Nobade
03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I tried paper patching for a revolver, and it was less than impressive. Not any more accurate than normal loads, and the bore wasn't all that clean afterward. With those guns it seems a better course of action is to get a mould of the proper size and shoot grease grooved bullets. In rifles, however, it works great!

Old Coot
03-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Walker most revolvers lead because the cylinder diameter is smaller than the groove diameter of the barrel. Check your cylinder throats and slug your barrel. You may have to have the cylinders bored out. If that is the problem patching won't help much because the bullet won't fit the barrel.

walker77
03-25-2010, 10:58 PM
I just got it back from being bored out. I havent tried it yet. But my bullets are still dropping the same diameter as the barrel.

pdawg_shooter
03-26-2010, 08:11 AM
My time of trying PP in handguns came to a end when I figured out there way no advantage. My lubed bullets shot just as good as my PP ones did. If the bore is good and the size is correct you can take WW bullets over 1300 without leading. In rifles PP can give you jacketed performance.

RugerFan
03-26-2010, 09:47 AM
I just got it back from being bored out. I havent tried it yet. But my bullets are still dropping the same diameter as the barrel.

I assume you mean your cylnder throats were bored. Try beagling the mold. Go here http://www.castpics.net/ and click on "Member Articles" and then click on "Mould Enlargement."