PDA

View Full Version : Model 94 Scope questions

Jeffery8mm
03-24-2010, 11:46 PM
I have a Win 94 30-30 TOP eject. AS of now I have one of the funky side mount scope rigs on it. It works ok but is strange. Also is a PITA to adjust the scope since you have to rotate the scope 1/4 turn for the casings to clear it when ejected!!. Is there another option of mounting a scope on these rifles?? Say a scout mount type deal?? I would appreciate all advice and photos!!
Thanks
Jeff

Lead Fred
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/c-261-94.aspx

This is what I have, and I think the only thing you can get now a days.

Its off set, dont have to turn anything

NickSS
03-25-2010, 01:06 AM
As far as I know no one makes a scout mount for the 94 top eject but I really have not researched it as I like 94 with receiver sights. However, adjusting a scope that is rotated 90 degrees to the left is not a problem. The new top turret L is Down and R is UP and the new left turret U is left and D is Right. Not a real big deal at all. The only thing I never liked about the side mount is that I needed a lace on cheak pad to position my head correctly. I really do not like scopes on lever guns and none of mine has one. If I want a scoped rifle I carry a bolt gun.

Lead Fred
03-25-2010, 04:19 AM
If I want a scoped rifle I carry a bolt gun.

Or buy a Marlin :drinks:

Newtire
03-25-2010, 08:44 AM
I would get a Marlin for the scope and put a receiver sight or a Tang sight on that '94.

jlchucker
03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I would get a Marlin for the scope and put a receiver sight or a Tang sight on that '94.

Tang sight or Williams Foolproof. Most 94's that you find available these days were drilled and tapped for a receiver sight at the factory, unless you have one that's quite old.

Larry Gibson
03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Burris makes or made a very nice one piece scout scope base for the top eject M94 Carbine. I have one but it is not on my M94 now for a picture (no, it is not for sale as the Burris scout scope will go back on the M94). It replaces the rear sight and the front band is D&T'd (I also D&T'd into the barrel for a more solid mounting). With low rings the Burris scout scope sits low with the occular lens over the front receiver ring as it is supposed to so the eye simply loks right through the scope when the rifle is shouldered. It makes for a very fast handling carbine, especially with older eyes.

I do not know if Burris still makes this mount but a little research might find out. It is the perfect scope mount set up for a M94 top eject.

Larry Gibson

O.S.O.K.
03-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Speaking of Burris - you may consider their new Fast Fire reflex sight (very small) mounted in a mid-barrel adapter mount (Turnbull makes this). This avoids all of ejection issues.

I personally leave my 94 Winnys scopeless. Some of my Marlins have scopes though - the 30-30 AI and 356 Win rechambered ones.

59sharps
03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
I have a Win 94 30-30 TOP eject. AS of now I have one of the funky side mount scope rigs on it. It works ok but is strange. Also is a PITA to adjust the scope since you have to rotate the scope 1/4 turn for the casings to clear it when ejected!!. Is there another option of mounting a scope on these rifles?? Say a scout mount type deal?? I would appreciate all advice and photos!!
Thanks
Jeff

Ive got a 94 w/ the scope mounted on the barrel infront of the ejector. this 94 is an old 32 spcl ive had it for 45 yrs now. not sure how old it was when my dad picked it up for me as my first dear rifle. my son started using it 3 yrs ago and loves it. mount is an old redfield and the scope is a 2 power redfield. all you need where we hunt. when i find a photo will add it.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-25-2010, 09:01 PM
There was a Redfield scout mount made perhaps 25 or more years ago which also included an iron sight provision. It was a nice steel, turn on mount base. I actually sold a new one here a year ago. One of the Ken Waters, pet loads articles in the big thick book covering all loads, shows on the 30-30 aritcle a picture of it. If you can get the nomenclature right, you can start looking for one. I never installed one as for me the side mount was a bit more practical.

BvT

pietro
03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
[As far as I know no one makes a scout mount for the 94 top eject]

XS Sights does - One of the 25-odd LeverScout mounts.

I put one on a .450 Marlin Model 94 Timber w/o any issues.

The XS rails for a Model 94AE will fit a top-eject - but the receiver top will need two holes drilled & tapped for the rear support.

03-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Ask and ye shall receive.
I put this together in 1966. Very handy, useful combo. A Redfield product for the M94 Win. The scope tube is 3/4" and is 2X designed for this mount. The optics are excellent. The mount is the Redfield M294 and has the adjustable blade if the scope is taken off. The mount and scope were designed to be unique to each other so you'd have to have both, if you find them. Redfield made two variations of this system. Both use the same M294 base. One used a regular ring mount with a tapered rail that fit into the dovetail in the base. The other used a tapered rail integral to the scope that fit into the dovetail in the base. The pics are of the "ringless" type where the tapered rail is integral to the scope.

Jeffery8mm
03-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys for all the good info. And 405, thanks for the photos of that sweet rifle!!!
Jeff

scb
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0012852224749a.shtml

Don't know how well it works. Looks like you'd have to drill and tap a couple of holes.

Trailblazer
03-27-2010, 10:22 AM
405, I assume you have to drill and tap the barrel? How many holes? Or does it just use the rear sight dovetail slot to attach to the barrel?

03-27-2010, 10:50 AM
405, I assume you have to drill and tap the barrel? How many holes? Or does it just use the rear sight dovetail slot to attach to the barrel?
That gun is a pre-64 Win 94. The Redfield system required two or three (optional) holes drilled/tapped into the barrel. A system that would use only the rear sight dovetail may work but would surely lack strength and wouldn't be stable. A system that could use the rear sight dovetail and not require drilling/tapping would need a contoured base for tight fit on the barrel then could be JB welded for strength. That would be least destructive to an older, collectible gun.

Bottom line- the decision to drill/tap depends on the owner. Today I would not do it to a good condition pre-64 Win. Of course the old side mount systems required drilling/tapping the receiver. I see a lot of those guns and it really hurts collectible value- bad for the folks trying to sell them but good for the folks wanting to buy an old Win. shooter. For me, the best alternative sight system for the more valuable, older Winchesters is either a tang aperture or side mount receiver sight where the factory holes are already there. I have several Win lever guns so equiped.

Trailblazer
03-27-2010, 11:39 AM
The reason I ask is because I would like to use a scope on a Model 64 for load development. I wouldn't leave the scope on it and I don't want to drill and tap it. I have been looking for a way to make a temporary scout mount. After looking at different mounts I think the way to go is what you describe. Use the dovetail to hold a close fitting base to the barrel. I think I will wax the barrel and epoxy the base to the barrel. Make a part to fit in the sight dovetail with a close fitting stud into the base. That should hold well enough for temporary use.

03-27-2010, 01:40 PM
I think that will work. I have done lots of those type things with different guns. The hardest part is matching the barrel contour to the scope base. If you can get close enough then it's just a matter of securing it to the barrel. One way to secure using the rear sight dovetail is to get a tight fitting dovetail blank. Drill and tap the blank. Insert the blank. Drill and countersink a hole thru the scope base to accomodate a screw to attach the base to the dovetail blank. Apply some JB to secure the base to the barrel and screw the base to the dovetail blank. That should be plenty secure for mounting the scope without drilling/tapping extra holes in the gun. For removal just heat the base to release the epoxy and unscrew from the dovetail blank. The epoxy residue left on the barrel can then be removed without damage to the barrel. The worst case would be some loss of bluing.

JDL
03-27-2010, 04:25 PM
405, Now you've gone and got my curiousity up. How does that mount/scope effect the handling of your 94?
JDL

03-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Handling? A subjective but valid question :)
Seriously, that gun has been set up that way since 1966. It covered lots of mountain hunting miles but has been retired to more mundane target and range use for quite a while now. While the photos don't show the size relationship very well, those 2X Redfields are really fairly small, light and slender with the 3/4" tube. With the scope attached, gun remains very slender in profile, light weight and easy to carry. I'll try to take a pic showing that.

Trailblazer
03-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Eureka! I have a Weaver #92A base for the TC that looks about perfect to adapt to my Model 64 barrel. The TC barrel measures .810". The Model 64 barrel is also .810" just behind the rear sight dovetail. I will have to take the forend off to measure the barrel taper accurately but it looks like a .02" or .03" shim under the forward end of the base will level it up. Then a little Devcon plastic steel to fill the gap and there it is. Then I just need to make a stud to fit in the dovetail slot.