PDA

View Full Version : RCBS dies & set screw problem

Jal5
03-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Ihave two old sets of RCBS dies and have had problems with the ring set screw galling the rings or something like that. They mess up the threads on the rings to the point that it is very difficult to move the rings at all. Not rusting but definitely messing up the rings right under the spot where the set screw puts pressure on the die itself.

The newer set of dies has a brass set screw a softer material, where the older dies have a different screw material at least on mine.

Anyone else see this problem?

Joe

rayzer
03-25-2010, 12:23 AM
I usually put a couple of pieces of #6 lead shot in the holes before I install the set screw. the lead gets sandwiched between the threads of the die, and the setscrew. this way there is no galling of the threads on the die. also the lead shot keeps it really locked down tight, so you have no movement at all.

captaint
03-25-2010, 02:35 AM
I threw out the original lock rings and got the ones Sinclair sells. I forget who makes them. The ring is split and the bolt goes through the split instead of bearing on the die threads. The lead shot idea is good though. Mike

timkelley
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
I use Lee rings on all of my dies.

Dale53
03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I have a couple of Dillon 550B's. I use Dillon's later model rings (they are smaller hex rings and allow a bit more room between dies on the Dillon die plate). Further, they work perfectly with Dillon's die wrench. I have changed most of my die lock rings to these. Dillon sells them in groups at a lower price.

For original die rings, the suggestion to use lead shot under the lock ring set screw works fine. Some of my original dies came from the factory that way (I have some die sets nearly sixty years old).

Here's a tip for the "lead under" set screw dies - after they have been tightened, the ring doesn't want to move (even when they are loosened). A single, quick "rap" with a plastic hammer head directed at the set screw after it has been loosened (directly towards the screw at right angles to the die body) will loosen them perfectly so you can turn them by hand).

FWIW
Dale53

BPCR Bill
03-25-2010, 11:04 AM
I have some old RCBS dies that originally had the aluminum lock rings. I discarded those for steel. Much more robust.

Regards,
Bill

Tom-ADC
03-25-2010, 12:43 PM
What Dale53 does, I like the Dillon rings.

monkeymt
03-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I have gone to Forster rings. They are also split and there is no damage to the threads. They are very easy to loosen and tighten again.
Mark

AZ-Stew
03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Here's a tip for the "lead under" set screw dies - after they have been tightened, the ring doesn't want to move (even when they are loosened). A single, quick "rap" with a plastic hammer head directed at the set screw after it has been loosened (directly towards the screw at right angles to the die body) will loosen them perfectly so you can turn them by hand).

FWIW
Dale53

Well, there went my contribution to this thread.

Regards,

Stew

BCB
03-25-2010, 05:47 PM
I throw the allen type set screws away and use brass bolts of the appropriate size. I let them stick out about an 1" so they will tighten in the ring and not catch on the nut in the press. I do put a pellet of shot between the bolt and the threads of the die. With the brass bolt, I can use a regular flat screw driver and don't have to worry about rounding the allen set screw. What a junk setup...

Good-luck...BCB

RayinNH
03-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Just take a set screw to the hardware store and look through the little bins. Match the screw to a like brass version. Might cost 10-15 cents apiece...Ray

largom
03-25-2010, 07:14 PM

Same here! No set screw and no wrench needed.

Cherokee
03-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Steel split rings. Stay put and easy to unset and move.

cheese1566
03-26-2010, 08:51 AM
I found some 10-32 x1/4" Brass set screws from smallparts.com a year or so back when I was ordering some other stuff. Otherwise the little buggers are hard to find. I am sure RCBS would send some for nothing.

Currently a bag of 10 run around $3.50.

Jal5
03-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Looks like RCBS is going to send me some new rings, good customer service considering these were used dies I bought.
Joe

Daddyfixit
03-30-2010, 01:06 AM
What Dale53 does, I like the Dillon rings.

I like the new 1" dillon ones on my 550B too, but on my single stage I use the split rings to keep the ajustment when changing dies. Putting lead shot with the set screw style workes good.

Jal5
04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
RCBS customer service is great! I received two of the die rings plus a bunch of the set screws with shot to try on the old rings. All for free, and these were old dies I bought from guys online. Not sure the old rings are usable anymore but I will play around with them and see. Will probably switch out the other old type rings to newer ones with the brass set screws.

Joe

Freightman
04-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Me also! the set screw rings drive me nuts. Ha that is a lie as I was born NUTS.

WallyM3
04-08-2010, 09:11 PM
A set screw that locks against a steel thread should have a cushion of softer metal if the set screw is also steel. Lead has been recommended, and that is a good plan.

However, I use copper. I snip a short bit of copper conductor from some Romex (usually 12 ga. works fine) and drop it into the female threaded hole and compress it with the set screw.

It's more durable than lead, just about as readily on hand and works.

6bg6ga
10-11-2014, 07:43 AM
I emailed RCBS asking about the 10-32 brass set screws and was told I could order them at no cost. I have no problem ordering them if I could simply find them to order. Considering that I have purchased a dozen or more RCBS die sets over the years it has me wondering why customer service couldn't be bothered to send me out a set considering the fact I included my name and address. I guess it was easier to tell me to order them than it was to simply do their customer service job and send them out.

EDG
10-11-2014, 07:59 AM
That happens when you use lead shot under the set screw in the old rings.
When you over tighten the set screw it bulges the soft aluminum ring and galls the threads.
To fix it remove the set screw and knock out the lead shot.
Chase the set screw threads with a 10-32 tap. If you can find a 7/8-14 tap chase those threads.
If you cannot find a 7/8-14 tap run the lock ring over a die body to make sure it will spin on and off.

Finally find a small nylon ball. Any thing from .125 to about .160 will do. If you cannot find a nylon ball get a 6-32 or 8-32 nylon screw and cut about .125 off and drop the piece in the set screw hole. Then install the set screw and tighten only enough to lock the ring. Do not crank down hard on the set screw and it will work fine.

Ihave two old sets of RCBS dies and have had problems with the ring set screw galling the rings or something like that. They mess up the threads on the rings to the point that it is very difficult to move the rings at all. Not rusting but definitely messing up the rings right under the spot where the set screw puts pressure on the die itself.

The newer set of dies has a brass set screw a softer material, where the older dies have a different screw material at least on mine.

Anyone else see this problem?

Joe

BCB
10-11-2014, 08:09 AM
I emailed RCBS asking about the 10-32 brass set screws and was told I could order them at no cost. I have no problem ordering them if I could simply find them to order. Considering that I have purchased a dozen or more RCBS die sets over the years it has me wondering why customer service couldn't be bothered to send me out a set considering the fact I included my name and address. I guess it was easier to tell me to order them than it was to simply do their customer service job and send them out.

I just get brass machine bolts that size at the auto parts. They might even have brass set screws...

I get the screws and I can use a slotted screw driver on them. If you get the screw long enough, you won't need to grind the head a bit smaller so it will allow the die to turn into the press...

Set screws are nothing but a problem as far as I'm concerned...

Good-luck...BCB

MT Chambers
10-11-2014, 11:02 PM
All my dies get Forster die rings for use in the Co-ax press, I'd avoid the Lee ones, the O-ring make consistency all but impossible.

EDG
10-12-2014, 12:30 AM
Very true but I think staight case pistol shooters do not know that the silly Lee rings cause those problems on bottle neck rifle cartridges.

I'd avoid the Lee ones, the O-ring make consistency all but impossible.

6bg6ga
10-12-2014, 06:06 AM
I just get brass machine bolts that size at the auto parts. They might even have brass set screws...

I get the screws and I can use a slotted screw driver on them. If you get the screw long enough, you won't need to grind the head a bit smaller so it will allow the die to turn into the press...

Set screws are nothing but a problem as far as I'm concerned...

Good-luck...BCB

I checked all the hardware stores and no one stocks 10-32 just 10-24. The auto stores don't carry set screws either and I'm not going to buy something cut the head off it and try to make a slot in it.

I still believe the guy at RCBS is dropping the ball. It shouldn't be too hard for him to pick up his phone and call their parts department and get some coming my way. I am told that RCBS should send them out free but I am willing to pay for them. They do not list them in their catalog otherwise I would order a dozen of them. Even a little problem like this have me thinking RCBS may have just lost a good customer. At least Dillon will take the time to take care of my needs and RCBS seems to have lost sight of customer satisfaction. My next set of dies will probably not be RCBS at this point in time.

For those tempted to mention Lee.... I bought one set of Lee dies and I will never repeat that again. Lock rings without set screws are totally stupid and do not stay set.

BCB
10-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Whatever you think…

I’ve purchased them at Trader Horn if you have one of those stores in your area…

I doubt any of the auto parts stores that are “chain stores” have them…

Go to an old-fashioned auto parts—the kind from many many years ago--they have all types of nuts, bolts, etc…

You don’t need to cut a slot in the brass screws you buy, it’s already there. If you purchase ones that are ¾” long, you don’t need to grind the head a bit smaller in diameter…

I know that I get rid of all those damn hex wrench set screws—can’t see them for the most part. The slotted screws are right out in the open—easy access…

But then again, there are the split rings and they are the worst thing ever invented. When screwed down on the press and then the screw tightened, the die is difficult to unscrew and sometimes the ring has not been compressed enough to hold it in place on the die when it is loosened…

I too have 7/8x14 tap and dies. I clean my dies and the press threads as needed. It sure helps smooth-out putting them in place…

Just my thoughts—solved my problems with the damn set screws…

Good-luck…BCB

6bg6ga
10-12-2014, 06:34 AM
Whatever you think…

I’ve purchased them at Trader Horn if you have one of those stores in your area…

I doubt any of the auto parts stores that are “chain stores” have them…

Go to an old-fashioned auto parts—the kind from many many years ago--they have all types of nuts, bolts, etc…

You don’t need to cut a slot in the brass screws you buy, it’s already there. If you purchase ones that are ¾” long, you don’t need to grind the head a bit smaller in diameter…

I know that I get rid of all those damn hex wrench set screws—can’t see them for the most part. The slotted screws are right out in the open—easy access…

But then again, there are the split rings and they are the worst thing ever invented. When screwed down on the press and then the screw tightened, the die is difficult to unscrew and sometimes the ring has not been compressed enough to hold it in place on the die when it is loosened…

I too have 7/8x14 tap and dies. I clean my dies and the press threads as needed. It sure helps smooth-out putting them in place…

Just my thoughts—solved my problems with the damn set screws…

Good-luck…BCB

A Google search shows Fastenal has them for $1.40 ea. I am willing to pay that to get the correct set screw. I do not have room/clearance to have a portion of the screw sticking out. I want them as designed with the set screw recessed as it should be. I suppose I could make some if I had too but then again I want the allen head and not a slot.

6bg6ga
10-12-2014, 06:41 AM
I'm a stickler for having things correct. I don't like to cobble something up. You do what your comfortable with. You get by with a portion of the slotted set screw sticking out and in my case the turret doesn't allow me much room. I don't have much clearance between the die rings of the dies when the turret is full of dies. I can wait to get what I want because the turret is the back up machine that process only what is left over from setting up the Dillon 650. I have probably 20 or less 9mm cases in various stages waiting to be finished and like I said these are left overs from the 9mm set up on the 650.

6bg6ga
10-12-2014, 06:46 AM
There are no old fashoned auto parts stores or hardware stores here anymore. They all went to the way side years ago otherwise the first and last stop would have been my hardware store because they would have carried it.

dikman
10-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Yep, those "old-type" stores are long gone here, they're all part of some chain or other. I have a set of RCBS dies that came with the lever gun I just bought. They have the little brass screws, and one was so tight it had damaged the thread on the die!! Once I got the nut off I had to smooth out the thread with a file. I promptly cut some small bits of lead to put in.

6bg6ga
10-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Yep, those "old-type" stores are long gone here, they're all part of some chain or other. I have a set of RCBS dies that came with the lever gun I just bought. They have the little brass screws, and one was so tight it had damaged the thread on the die!! Once I got the nut off I had to smooth out the thread with a file. I promptly cut some small bits of lead to put in.

I also like a piece of lead shot or a piece of plastic to guard the die body threads. My problem is someone stripped out the allen head which leads me to believe stupidity was at play. I purchased this set used so I'm not the one responsible for the set screw damage.

I miss the old parts stores where you could go in and purchase carb parts or rebuild kits or floats. The old days are gone and its not a good thing either. We used to have a hardware store that started out when I was probably 5 years old and continued to just a few years ago. They either had it or they could get what you needed but mostly they stocked it.

BCB
10-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Rounding the hex part of an set screw is another reason I don't like hex heads. I only have them in dies that I seldom use. Otherwise, they are removed and brass screws replace them...

Concerning brass screws damanging the threads of a steel die, I can't imagine that as brass is much softer than steel...

Steel set screws--maybe...

Good-luck...BCB

6bg6ga
10-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Rounding the hex part of an set screw is another reason I don't like hex heads. I only have them in dies that I seldom use. Otherwise, they are removed and brass screws replace them...

Concerning brass screws damanging the threads of a steel die, I can't imagine that as brass is much softer than steel...

Steel set screws--maybe...

Good-luck...BCB

Brass is used because it causes less damage to threads. What they should have done was drop in a piece of lead shot and then install the brass set screw and yes brass is softer than steel.

BCB
10-12-2014, 08:24 AM
I have put a 7 1/2 or 8 shot in a couple of mine. It helps, but sometimes can make the lock ring a bit hard to turn. Still it is a safety move to help keep threads from getting damaged...

dg31872
10-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Hornady Sure Loc die rings.
I remove the rings on my dies and put the Hornady on. They are not cheap but are solid and dependable. Keep the old rings and if you sell or trade the dieset, remove the Hornady and re- install the originals.
No damaged threads, no galling, no working loose like the Lee.
Solid as a bank vault.

6bg6ga
10-12-2014, 09:00 AM
The picture below shows an older RCBS die next to the newer die. The old ring did not damage the threads on the die. The newer one with the brass set screw is not as good.118910

Johnny_V
10-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Hornady Sure Loc die rings.
I remove the rings on my dies and put the Hornady on. They are not cheap but are solid and dependable. Keep the old rings and if you sell or trade the dieset, remove the Hornady and re- install the originals.
No damaged threads, no galling, no working loose like the Lee.
Solid as a bank vault.

Hornady Sure Lock die rings (http://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Sure-Lock-Ring-Pack/dp/B001OPTMU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413143445&sr=8-1&keywords=hornady+lock+ring). Absolutely the BEST lock ring on the market. All steel, split rings, with wrench flats - these will not slip. You will not regret using them. Personally, I think they are priced competitively.....

UNIQUEDOT
10-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Hornady split lock rings are great and inexpensive to boot. I have or have had lock rings from every manufacturer and the only ones that I would never buy again is the Dillon rings. The Lee rings work just fine if you tighten the heck out of them. I prefer the Lee rings on dies that are often changed though like universal decappers. It's hard to beat the Hornady or Forster split rings.

dikman
10-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Those Hornady rings look good. I'm aware that the brass, being softer, shouldn't be able to damage a steel thread but it did! One of the problems we have here with replacing them is that you Yanks use your own peculiar thread system - we use Imperial and Metric, which are easy to get screws for. Your stuff isn't. I'll probably end up re-tapping them to Metric if I have problems.

6bg6ga
10-12-2014, 07:17 PM
I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here as I need some simple brass 10-32 set screws not $4 a piece Hornady rings. Being that the dies were used I was expecting some possible wear but surely that I didn't need an act of God in order to obtain set screws that should cost no more than $1.00-1.50 ea. Hornady rings yes they are nice but I don't need them since once the dies are adjusted and set I will no longer need to adjust them unless I change reloading presses.

Johnny_V
10-12-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here as I need some simple brass 10-32 set screws not $4 a piece Hornady rings. Being that the dies were used I was expecting some possible wear but surely that I didn't need an act of God in order to obtain set screws that should cost no more than $1.00-1.50 ea. Hornady rings yes they are nice but I don't need them since once the dies are adjusted and set I will no longer need to adjust them unless I change reloading presses.

I know it sounds like we're all trying to re-invent the wheel, but you can get caught up in what your passions are......

Here's a link to Mcmaster Carr. Best place to purchase any type of hardware...

Brass set screws (http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=u4in1p)

Brass tip set screws (http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-tip-set-screws/=u4in36)

troyboy
10-12-2014, 08:08 PM
I'd just contact RCBS customer service again then wait till the mail brings your screws. Evidently you talked with the wrong individual.

6bg6ga
10-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I'd just contact RCBS customer service again then wait till the mail brings your screws. Evidently you talked with the wrong individual.

I sent them another email letting them know that I couldn't find a PN in which to order the brass set screws. Hopefully this email will fall into the right hands and someone will do their customer service job.

UNIQUEDOT
10-12-2014, 10:03 PM
They may already be in the mail. When I was told by an rcbs rep that a part could be ordered free of charge I replied and asked for a part number he replied and said he'd already ordered it for me and it was in the mail.

6bg6ga
10-23-2014, 05:49 AM
I did get brass screws and small brass plugs in the mail from RCBS. Installed the new parts and the lock ring does its job. After using the little soft brass plugs I came to the conclusion that they work very well with very little pressure from the set screw required to have the ring lock up.

10mmShooter
10-25-2014, 07:30 PM
funny, I always remove the set screws, I simply don't use them, I remove them from my Redding dies too. I don't mind the extra minute or two it takes to setup the dies :) I remove them for exactly the reason you describe I refuse to chance damaging my dies, just to save a minute or two.

6bg6ga
10-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Well, with over 40 years of reloading I've never felt the need to remove the set screws from any of my dies. I don't however crank the snot out of them or use the wrong size allen wrench on them either like the previous owner of the dies set I purchased. As I mentioned..with the little brass plugs RCBS also sent me you can get a good lock with little pressure from the allen set screws. There was no damage to the die threads on the die bodies just some minor thread chasing needed before I installed the new brass set screws. Common sense really does go a long way here and I personally will not remove the set screws but then again I feel no need to crank on them line a 500 lb linebacker either.