PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Press

Circuit Rider
03-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Am purchasing a used Square Deal B, anything in particular I should know about it? Is it typical Dillon, reliable? Have used a Lyman T-Mag 2 for 10 years, Will I have much of a learning curve? Thanks, Circuit Rider:castmine:

sargenv
03-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Square deal B uses proprietary dies only made by Dillon, otherwise it's a nice little press.

jforwel
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Used or new, it is guaranteed for life!

machinisttx
03-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Square deal B uses proprietary dies only made by Dillon, otherwise it's a nice little press.

And it only loads pistol ammo.

RobS
03-24-2010, 10:49 PM
The presses are reliable and Dillon service is for life. One issue as already stated is the dies. The Square Deal does not used standard dies so a person will have to purchase Dillon dies for the set up. Also this press is designed for only pistol rounds.

Tom-ADC
03-24-2010, 10:51 PM
If your buying new try and upgrade to the 550B I've loaded everything from .380 to 45-70 uses standard dies also. That said the Sqare deal if your only doing pistol in one or two calibers its a great press also.

jmorris
03-24-2010, 11:17 PM
I have two of them and a few 650's/1050's with bullet and case feeders. They work fine but are for specific pistol ammo. If it fits your bill it will work just fine

warf73
03-25-2010, 03:10 AM
Am purchasing a used Square Deal B, anything in particular I should know about it? Is it typical Dillon, reliable? Have used a Lyman T-Mag 2 for 10 years, Will I have much of a learning curve? Thanks, Circuit Rider:castmine:

As said the dies are a dillion only deal on the square deal.
Yes its very reliable.
I would think you would have minamule learning curve.

It will server you for your life time Dillion will make sure of that.

Pitmaster
03-25-2010, 06:43 AM
I learned how to use one pretty easily and I'm mechanically disinclined. Great press for loading pistol. I've since moved on to a 650 and that was primarily because I got such a great deal on the 650. I sold the SD's which more than paid for it.

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2010, 07:08 AM
great little press and a fast one to boot. I used to own 5 of them before the fire and loaded well over a millon rounds on them. they have there little quirks as does any progressive but there good presses. Id buy a spare parts kit for it. Dillon will give you the parts for free when it breaks but you will be out of commision till they arrive. If you buy the spare parts kit you can fix it imediately and then replace the parts in your spare parts kit when dillong gets them to you. the major thing with just about any progressive to keep it running smooth is to keep it clean and when somethng doesnt feel right stop imediately. Dont try forcing it or something will break.

AZ Pete
03-25-2010, 09:07 PM
I bought one used several years ago. I already had a 550b. I use the SDB to load almost all my pistol ammo, 7 calibres, the switch over from one to another is no big deal.

I did have a problem with the primer feed a while back, called Dillon, and they explained that they had revamped the primer feed, and sent me a complete new unit. Now if I change from large pistol primers to small, I just unbolt one feed and bolt in the other. Simplifies things.

Dillon puts out a good product, with wonderful customer support. You will be happy.

Circuit Rider
03-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Gents, thanks for the info. Circuit Rider

sargenv
03-29-2010, 12:56 AM
One reason I don't like the 550 is that it doesn't have auto advance. The SDB and 650's do. I've seen two or three guns blown up due to double charged fast burning pistol powder loaded on 550's.

jsizemore
03-29-2010, 04:36 PM
One reason I don't like the 550 is that it doesn't have auto advance. The SDB and 650's do. I've seen two or three guns blown up due to double charged fast burning pistol powder loaded on 550's.

Sargenv, If the bullet is seated in the next station after the powder drop/case flare, then you don't have a place to put a new bullet. So you know you haven't advanced the shellplate, right? It can't be any simpler then that.

220swiftfn
03-30-2010, 02:59 AM
Jsizemore- I'm willing to bet that 90% of the double loads are caused by distraction. I remember someone saying that if they *HAD* to step away from the machine with a loaded shellplate, they'd leave the press on the down stroke so they couldn't forget what was going on. BTW, it seems like it's the simple things that get us into the most trouble... (complacency maybe???)

Dan

Southern Son
03-30-2010, 05:54 AM

I have a case feeder on mine, if you don't advance the shell plate, you know that something is wrong very quickly.

Lloyd Smale
03-30-2010, 06:33 AM
anyone dumb enough to double charge with a 550 is the type that will eventually do it some other way anyway and just shouldnt be loading to start with.

Dan Cash
03-30-2010, 08:55 AM
+4 or +5 on what Lloyd says.

cajun shooter
03-30-2010, 09:04 AM
That is the reason that ladders have caution stickers from the top to bottom now. Some clown will fall off the very top step while standing on one foot and overreaching his limit and fall. Guess what ? The ladder is bad and the company should be sued!! Any piece of equipment is only as good as the person who is using it.

BruceB
03-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, ladders are a perfect example.

At work, we have a step-ladder with precisely TWO steps. On the second step is a brilliant-yellow sticker, which says "Do not stand on this step or higher. Serious injury or death could result." So, by these terms, our "step ladder" gains us about eight inches of height above the bare floor....but SIXTEEN inches runs the risk of "death or serious injury". Riiiiight!

The Dillon 550 has been used by (probably) hundreds of thousands of handloaders by now. It's an excellent machine, and I have high regard for mine. Handloading in and of itself carries some risks. PAY ATTENTION! The world is not our babysitter, and we must take responsibility for our own actions.

Again: PAY ATTENTION.

mike in co
03-30-2010, 11:37 AM

double charges are cause by(in my opinion) stupid people too cheap to use a powder that fills a case 50% OR MORE.
doing this one step eliminates the possibility of a double charge.

again in my opinion...just plain stupid and has nothing to do with what ever machine is used.

mike in co

warf73
03-31-2010, 03:28 AM
double charges are cause by(in my opinion) stupid people too cheap to use a powder that fills a case 50% OR MORE.
doing this one step eliminates the possibility of a double charge.

again in my opinion...just plain stupid and has nothing to do with what ever machine is used.

mike in co

Agree 100%