PDA

View Full Version : Guess I am an old wimp!

Dogg
03-24-2010, 04:22 PM
In my younger days I wanted everything to produce the biggest BANG I could get. Flash forward 30years or so. Took out my .454 Casull Ragin Bull today to try some reloads of 360 gr RD ( big thanks FROZONE!, supplied me with these bullets) over 21.5 gr. of LIL Gun. Was more accrate than I could hold, from a bench over a sand bag. But d_mn did that load torque my right elbow! Must be getting soft. Loaded up some more but backed off .5gr., kinda bet it is still going to torque the elbow but.....
Don't have a chrono, anyone have an idea bout how fast these would be going out of a 5" barrel?

Ekalb2000
03-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Elbow-torque-twisting fast.

Sorry I just had to.

S.R.Custom
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
"Old wimp?" Nah.. How 'bout... "Finally got some sense."

Years ago I had a thing for handguns that fired the biggest chunks of lead the fastest. Then I discovered something that changed my life forever. It's called a "rifle." I haven't looked back since. :D

missionary5155
03-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Good evening
Old Wimp is a rather stiff way to crunch yourself.... I bet iffen there was a nasty mastadon charging down on us you would bravely jump in with that hand cannon and drill it severly numerous times and never notice the elbow twist one bit.

454PB
03-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Fun ain't it!

I use Lil'Gun behind a 330 gr. Lyman 452651.

I'm guessing your velocity is around 1300 fps.

44man
03-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Bench shooting is bad. Try a .475 or .500 from bags and your wrist will take the twist.
I shot the .500 JRH with one hand from Creedmore the other day and my arm was straight up. I almost lost the gun with each shot. I have determined it takes three hands to hold the gun. :bigsmyl2:

Whitworth
03-25-2010, 06:57 AM
Not wimpy at all -- you're just calling it like it is -- bench shooting is no fun with a hard kicker period!

dubber123
03-25-2010, 07:23 AM
The double action grip shape of the Taurus also ensures you get ALL of the recoil. Hard kicking D/A guns certainly can be painful to shoot.

44man
03-25-2010, 08:18 AM
I am going to make a standing bench so it raises both arms. Have to get the elbow off the bench for the hard kickers. Might not be able to hold as steady, have to try it.

Doc_Stihl
03-25-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm a big fan of magnum handguns and the I don't consider the 454 at all pleasurable. Those super redhawks in 454 just seem to want to twist out of my hands.
Full house 44, and 500SW have plenty of harumf and seem alot less punishing on me.
I wouldn't volunteer to shoot hot 454 loads, but I enjoy shooting encore 375hh and 500SW pistols. Weight really helps there.

NHlever
03-25-2010, 10:40 AM
The rumor around the shooting industry when Tarus was testing the Raging Bull in .454 , that the place they tested it was nicknamed "The Torture Pit", and it was rumored that anyone that did something wrong was sent there to put 100 rounds, or so through the test guns. :D

Dale53
03-25-2010, 11:02 AM
When shooting a hard kicking hand gun off the bench, I use a Sinclair rubber bench rest pad (made for the purpose) under my elbow. It completely solves the "banged elbow syndrome".

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5302/s

44man's mention of building a standing rest has merit. Elmer Keith suggested that for hard kicking rifles, too.

The summer after I got my .375 H&H Magnum, I fired over 1000 rounds of full house loads off the bench. I quickly learned that you wanted to be upright behind the gun (not hunched over leaning into the rifle).

The worst recoiling pistol I ever shot was my TC Contender with a plain, unadorned (no muzzle brake) .444 Marlin. I realized that if I kept shooting that one, I would end up with serious wrist problems. It was nearly unmanageable. I got rid of that barrel.

However, my .375 JDJones, is quite manageable. It has JDJ's muzzle brake and a two powered scope. The combination (mostly the brake) greatly minimize's the muzzle rise. It doesn't do much for the "straight back" recoil but by limiting muzzle rise, it eliminates the twisting force that wants to tear the pistol out of your hands. It becomes completely controllable. That pistol drives a 270 gr bullet at nearly 2000 fps and it is a SERIOUS handgun.

The past few years I DO find myself more interested in .45 ACP's and .44 Specials for general shooting (along with my VERY pleasant .32's:drinks:).

Dale53

Whitworth
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
The rumor around the shooting industry when Tarus was testing the Raging Bull in .454 , that the place they tested it was nicknamed "The Torture Pit", and it was rumored that anyone that did something wrong was sent there to put 100 rounds, or so through the test guns. :D

I feel even more sorry for the poor SOB that was tasked with testing .454 Super Redhawks.......:veryconfu :bigsmyl2:

Dogg
03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Hope all of this means I am not as big a wimp as I thought. I know that the whack I get from it sure as h_ll must be a lot better than the whack that bullet must give. I really like that 360gr RD bullet, anyone have a set of molds for it they would like to get rid of......

Thanks for all the responses,to be truethfull I was thinking I was getting soft. I shoot .22 a lot 9mm, 40 and 45acp a bit. But haven't been shooting bigbore revolvers very much over the last 30 years. BIGGGGGGG difference.

Whitworth
03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Hope all of this means I am not as big a wimp as I thought. I know that the whack I get from it sure as h_ll must be a lot better than the whack that bullet must give. I really like that 360gr RD bullet, anyone have a set of molds for it they would like to get rid of......

Thanks for all the responses,to be truethfull I was thinking I was getting soft. I shoot .22 a lot 9mm, 40 and 45acp a bit. But haven't been shooting bigbore revolvers very much over the last 30 years. BIGGGGGGG difference.

Naah, you're normal.......

dk17hmr
03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I shoot a 370gr SWC out of my Ruger 454 with 23gr of H110....thats a handful but its fun.......for the first 12 rounds.

Southern Son
03-26-2010, 02:50 AM
While I was at Broken Hill I got to fire heaps of silhouette pistols and revolvers. The only one I ever regretted shooting was a 4 inch S&W Model 29, with a light profile barrel (made before they called them mountain guns). It had hard wood grips that were poorly designed for big boomers (would have been fine on a .38), and the bloke who loaded the ammo lived life on the edge in mores ways than one. When I fired the first round, it felt like my hand had been hit, right in the web of my thumb, with a well swung ball pane hammer. I went to hand it back to the guy who owned it and he said "Nah mate, you still have four rounds to go."

Dogg
03-26-2010, 07:54 AM
dk17hmr, I agree with that, 10 roiunds off sandbags and I had had enough. Afraid that it was going to inflict a 'flinch' factor that I did not need!
Southern Son, I had a 3" .44mag S&W that would do the same thing. Got 3 .41 mag, 3" guns that were wayyyy more shootable. Do regret that i sold all of them but one .41, they were good packing guns when I was in Montana