PDA

View Full Version : Lost my shell plates

JDFuchs
03-24-2010, 03:44 PM
I moved at the end of last summer. Got most of my stuff out of the rental i was living in. Had about one car load of reloading stuff and tools left in the house. The landlord thought I had abandoned it and through the stuff out (not going to get into that hear). Now that I've finally gone through my things the big reloading things I'm missing. My RCBS singe stage, cam lock bullet puller and collets, all my sizing dies for my Lyman press except the one that's in it. and All my shell plates except the one on the machine....

So now with about $200 in shell plates missing I'm debating getting a new press. The hornady projector I have has been great, but has many bits about it that frustrate me. I have a good number of calibers to reload, and that number only grows over time.

If I spend the $ and get new shell plates I can get it back up and ruining and get a new LnL when I have the $ to spend.

Or I could go for a Dillon. I'm just afraid that ill be spending a lot more on caliber conversions and other new parts over time then if i stick with the red press.

Dale53
03-24-2010, 04:36 PM
I originally bought my first Dillon 550B because of the overall cost being reasonable (you have to factor caliber change cost, etc) along with the fact that it does rifle cartridges, also (including the LARGE magnums).

Those original reasons still hold water along with the fact that the Dillon is user friendly and works, and works, and works. Add to that the best and I mean BEST customer service in the business makes me a Dillon fan. I have several different brands of tools gathered over the years and use most of them for different purposes. Dillon is heads and shoulders above them all.

Dale53

sargenv
03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I can't say enough good things about the Dillon line either.. and if I were to have that choice today, I'd likely re-buy a Dillon 650. If I were going to process a LOT of brass that needed the primer pocket reamed, I would very definitely consider the 1050, but unfortunately that specific press only has a 1 year warranty since it is treated as a commercial unit. I have had umpteen parts break over the years in my 650, usually due to my fault, and every one of those parts has been promptly replaced by Dillon gratis. Not to mention that the shooting sports I compete in, Dillon is usually at the forefront for sponsorships.. Gotta love a company that stands behind their product and adds to the different competitive sports also.

Doc Highwall
03-24-2010, 06:24 PM
The only complant I could have with the Dillon is changing the primer size from large to small and back to large. I came up with an excellent fix for that, I bought another Dillon and have one 550 set up for large primers and one 550 set up for small primers and a 650 also along with four Rock Chuckers.

No_1
03-24-2010, 07:05 PM
May I suggest you place a WTT/WTB advertisement here for the shell plates you need. Never know what may turn up.

OR

Offer your press for sale in the Swapping & Selling section then use the proceeds to purchase the LnL.

Robert

Firebricker
03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I would go for a dillion 550 but I hear a lot of good thing's about the LNL's too. FB