03-24-2010, 05:27 AM
Hush Puppies

2 Eggs, well beaten
1 CP. white cornmeal
½ CP. Self Risng flour
Pinch each of salt, pepper
2 Med. onions, chopped fine
Sweet or buttermilk

Mix all the dry ingredients and onion. Add the eggs and enough of the milk to make a batter thick enough to drop from a spoon. Drop by teaspoonfuls into hot fat, cook until done. Don't overload the ccoker, and don't let the temperature of the grease drop!
-These hushpuppies should float to the top of the grease and turn themselves over.-
This batter works even better if mixed several hours prior to cooking. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Enjoy!

Triggerhappy
03-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Trapper,

Thanks for the great recipe. Used to make these all the time but haven't made any in a couple of years. Guess it's time. I used to make the batter with a little more cornmeal than flour, then put in some whole corn, garlic, sliced green onions, shrimp and fish cut into chunks. When fried it was a great meal you could easily walk around with. Everyone loved them. Have to do that again sometime soon.

TH

markinalpine
03-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Looks like a good recipe.
I like to add some cayenne pepper.
Mark :coffeecom

trapperP
03-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Trapper,

Thanks for the great recipe. Used to make these all the time but haven't made any in a couple of years. Guess it's time. I used to make the batter with a little more cornmeal than flour, then put in some whole corn, garlic, sliced green onions, shrimp and fish cut into chunks. When fried it was a great meal you could easily walk around with. Everyone loved them. Have to do that again sometime soon.

TH
Them's not hushpuppies - them's wampus bread! And boy, is that something good! I'll throw my recipe at you for this too!

Wampus Bread

2 CP. self-rising corn meal
2 CP. self-rising flour
1 large onion
2 medium baked potatoes, diced
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
½ TSP. pepper, or to taste
3 large eggs
1 CAN stewed tomatoes
Salt to taste - about 1 Tsp or so
Vegetable oil for frying

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Add beaten eggs and stewed tomatoes, beginning with the meat of the tomatoes and adding the juice as needed to obtain dropping consistency. Dough should be wet enough to fall easily from a large spoon but not so wet as to break up when tested in the hot oil. Fold in the potatoes and you are ready to go.
Drop the batter by spoonfuls into the very hot oil (400 degrees), filling the fryer until the surface is covered. Brown on both sides and drain on absorbent paper before serving.
That is my favorite way of fixing this but you can also pan fry it if you don't have q cooker or deep fat available. Spoon it into a skillet - cast iron is my pick - and mash them flat. Turn over when brown and brown on both sides. You can now pick it up and eat it like a sandwich!

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Trapper,

There is no "meat" listed in the recipe "list" but mentioned in the directions . . . how much, and what type/size?

SciFiJim
03-26-2010, 10:55 PM
123, The "meat" of a can of stewed tomatoes is the stuff that ain't liquid. Its the tomatoes themselves.

Old Goat Keeper
03-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Trapper dat be bout the same recipe I uses. I do add some garlic powder to taste and some fine chopped green pepper. Time ot get the deep fry pot out an hav eme some catfish 'n hush puppies!

Tom

frankenfab
03-29-2010, 10:48 PM
trapperP's recipe sounds great. I have to confess I havr never made hushpuppies. Has anybody ever heard of putting Sprite, 7UP, or Club Soda in hushpuppies to make them fluffy? But, that's what the beer does, isn't it?

:drinks: