PDA

View Full Version : New Gripframe for my BFR

DanWalker
03-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Hey guys. Looking to replace the dragoon style gripframe on my bfr454.
Would this work? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=446153
I like the slimmer profile of the regular blackhawk gripframe. The superblackhawk style just seems too chunky for my hands.
Thanks,
Dan

tek4260
03-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Is your BFR a DM or JT? I have heard that if it is a DM the Ruger frames will match up, and if it is a JT, they won't. (JT BFR's serial #'s start with JT)

If you are wanting to test, I'd buy a beater aluminum XR3-Red rather than paying Midways price for that frame. The aluminum frames come up for sale all the time on Rugerforum.com for around $25-$40, and are the same as what you are looking at except they are made of aluminum.

Reguadless, it's gonna be a handful with that small frame!! I have a 475 en route to Clements to be shortened to 4 5/8. When It comes home I'll be whittling on the topstrap to make it closer to the Ruger profile. Heck, I might even slap an alloy grip frame on there and let the 500 Smity shooters feel what recoil really is!

Heavy lead
03-25-2010, 09:24 AM
The Bisley frame fit on my JT just fine with a little work and I'm not particularly talented in that field.

DanWalker
03-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Is your BFR a DM or JT? I have heard that if it is a DM the Ruger frames will match up, and if it is a JT, they won't. (JT BFR's serial #'s start with JT)

My serial number starts with LM. After comparing it side by side with my blackhawk, I really can't see any difference between them. If the gripframes swap, are there any other parts I'll need to change along with the frame? I realize I'll need different grips.
Thanks,
Dan

bobke
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
check out this modified/lengthened bfr gripframe. really nicely done by mr. harton:

http://singleactions.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sas&action=display&thread=3362

i'm starting to make plans for my bfr, as the grip has been something of a challenge as well. modified my uncle mikes grip to take some off the backstrap and deepen the area behind the trigger guard and round up the bottom back edge, but this harton/huntington mod is really nicely executed.

buck1
03-26-2010, 01:31 PM
I have heard the angle under the cylinder frame was different.