PDA

View Full Version : Lee 358-158-RF questions

Mark
03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
I read through some old posts about the Lee 358-158-RF. I have been thinking about purchasing that mold to make bullets for IDPA. I see the usual complaints about Lee quality. I have purchased Lee molds in the past and I am ready to take that chance. The bullet will be used in a S&W 66 and/ or S&W 686. My questions are:
1. What kind of accuracy can I expect at the velocity of 800 fps?
2. How large is the meplat? Is it small enough to facilitate a fast reload?
3. I am looking at a 2 cavity but if it all comes around, I may want a six cavity. Is this one of Lee's designs that differ in design from a 2 cavity to 6 cavity?

Any other experiences with this bullet in the 38 case would be appriciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

cabezaverde
03-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Funny, I was just playing around with that bullet tonight in conjunction with my first ever Smith.

My throats are about .3565 - the mold casts about .360. When I size down to .357, I wipe the crimp groove out. My 6 cavity has a small crimp groove - it would be a problem with this application.

Other than that, I really like this bullet once I had the bevel base removed.

gasboffer
03-23-2010, 09:00 PM
I use that bullet in a T.C. .357 Max and a FA83 .357 mag. 7.5 gr Bullseye in both. Shoots great. I wouldn't shoot that load in a Smith, maybe a Ruger, but would work up to it.
Clyde

Marlin Hunter
03-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Funny, I was just playing around with that bullet tonight in conjunction with my first ever Smith.

My throats are about .3565 - the mold casts about .360. When I size down to .357, I wipe the crimp groove out. My 6 cavity has a small crimp groove - it would be a problem with this application.

try using brass case lube instead of alox before sizing. There is a difference. That is if you use the Lee sizer. You can wash the case lube off in hot soap and water. then add alox.

lwknight
03-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Lee 6 cavity molds cost about double the 2 cavity price but you get a lot better mold for the money with exception to the handles not included in 6 cavity. 2 cavity molds are IMO "cheezy" at best.
I use that mold and love it. The meplat is about 1/4" and does work pretty good with speed loaders. Also that bullet design drops out of the mold very well compared to some others.
As for accuracy, I cannot tell a difference from commercial SWCs or Lee SWC 158s.
I'm not a great shooter but can get 1" groups at 25' easy enough. I can't say if its the boolit or the shooter that can't do better if not both.

Blammer
03-23-2010, 10:12 PM
IMO no, it's not good for fast reloads, it has a pretty big meplat. I'd go for a round nose of some sort.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/DSCN5973.jpg

lead Foot
03-24-2010, 02:48 AM
Lee 6 cavity molds cost about double the 2 cavity price but you get a lot better mold for the money with exception to the handles not included in 6 cavity. 2 cavity molds are IMO "cheezy" at best.
I use that mold and love it. The meplat is about 1/4" and does work pretty good with speed loaders. Also that bullet design drops out of the mold very well compared to some others.
As for accuracy, I cannot tell a difference from commercial SWCs or Lee SWC 158s.
I'm not a great shooter but can get 1" groups at 25' easy enough. I can't say if its the boolit or the shooter that can't do better if not both.

I concur with Iwknight..For me it is the best pistol boolit I have apart from the RCBS 35-200-FN. The LEE 158RF I have drops out at .3585 and is the roundest at less that 1/4 thou outta round. It shoots as good as my RCBS 148swc in my Smith 686.
And it's ok with speedloaders. The catch is with buying a two cavity ~ you don't know how good it will shoot so you go with the two cavity ~ I should have gone with the 6 banger. It cuts holes in paper just as good as wadcutter's.
Lead foot;

Mark
03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
IMO no, it's not good for fast reloads, it has a pretty big meplat. I'd go for a round nose of some sort.

Most round nose molds that I see have a "lip" on the outer edge (such as Lyman #358311). Lee has a true round nose without the lip but it is only @150 grains. That extra 8 grains is a lot in IDPA Minor and the 38 Special.
Thanks for the advice all,
mark