PDA

View Full Version : Stainless pots for smelting??

Hackleback
07-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Is there any reason why a one should not use stainless pots (cheap and plentiful) for smelting? I know that the Alum pots are not strong enough when they get hot. Cast iron is the material of choice, but they are harder to find.

Thanks

SharpsShooter
07-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Stainless will work and there are many that do use it. Try Harbor Freight for the cast iron stuff. IIRC, they had a 4 quart dutch oven for about $14 last time I looked.

SS

Shepherd2
07-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I bought a 4 or 5 quart dutch oven at an outdoor store for $13. It was kind of a junior Cabela's type place. Guns, fishing, camping etc. If you have something like that in your area they probably have cast iron pots.

44woody
07-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Hackeback if you want a cheep place to but one go to the good will store I paid like $3.00 for mine they have alot of casting stuff they just don't know it like the cornbread cast iron mufin pans shaped like a ear of corn I got a few of those there real cheep and they make good ingots :castmine: 44Woody

Buckshot
07-07-2006, 01:59 AM
..............A big stainless salad bowl was my first mega melting pot, using a COleman 2 burner as the heat source. Be advised though, if you run a good fierce flame and allow the lead level to drop the side of the bowl above the lead will get red hot which = weak.

Of course that depends upon how thick the stainless is. I think the one I used would hold about 60 lbs + of alloy. Whatever, it was a bunch to pick up. One rainly day when the wife was at work I decided to do some casting indoors. I was successfull in collapsing the electric eye on the stove!

................Buckshot

Marshal Kane
07-08-2006, 11:07 AM
..............A big stainless salad bowl was my first mega melting pot, using a COleman 2 burner as the heat source. BuckshotWould trust in a stainless steel pot but a salad bowl???? Thank goodness nothing came of it. Hope you have moved onto something more substantial.