PDA

View Full Version : homemade freechex type maker

edsmith
03-22-2010, 11:34 PM
I made a crude freechex type check maker for 45 cal, it works good,not the quality as the real deal,but it will make checks,I used the following, a 7/16 drill,29/64 drill,17/32 drill,a section of 3/8 black steel pipe about 1in. long, a section of 1in.steel round stock 1in.long, a peice of alu. round stock 3/8 tall,1/2in. o-ring.every thing I used is stuff I already had on hand,this can be made with hand tools if you are careful,a drill press is a lot better. to start I drilled a 17/32 hole in he 1in. stock about 2/3rds deep,then I drilled a 29/24 hold the rest of the way.then I cut a slot with a hacksaw 3/16" up from the step in the body.cut it right to the edge of the hole.that finishes the body of the tool,for the disc cutter and punch rod guide,use a 1" section of black pipe,ie-3/8 nipple, the od is close enough,then drill the id of the nipple with a 7/16" drill,also use the drill bit for the punch rod.then make a collar out ofthe alu. peice,you will have to drill a 17/32 hole in it,then put a peice of flashing in the slot,put the punch/guide rod in the ole,measure from the top of the die body to the top of the punch/guide rod,subtract 1/8th. tha will be the collar height,use a thin 1/2" o-ring,it goes around the guide and under the collar,insert flashing in slot,place punch/guide rod in hole,put on o-ring,put on collar,wack with plastic mallet,insert 7/16 drill bit in guide rod point up,tap with mallet,you have check.

edsmith
03-22-2010, 11:36 PM
photo

edsmith
03-22-2010, 11:39 PM
the reason there are threads on the guide/punch rod is because that is the only peice of 3/8 black pipe I had,don't use the threads.

edsmith
03-22-2010, 11:48 PM
another photo

edsmith
03-22-2010, 11:49 PM
will try another photo

uncleskippy
03-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Great work and idea. Can you show a finished gas check?

Thanks

WILCO
03-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Great work and idea. Can you show a finished gas check?

Thanks

Ditto for me Ed.

rbuck351
03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
I really like it when I see the different ways people have of beating the system. Good work. Buck

rvricaforte
04-27-2011, 08:49 PM
I made a crude freechex type check maker for 45 cal, it works good,not the quality as the real deal,but it will make checks,I used the following, a 7/16 drill,29/64 drill,17/32 drill,a section of 3/8 black steel pipe about 1in. long, a section of 1in.steel round stock 1in.long, a peice of alu. round stock 3/8 tall,1/2in. o-ring.every thing I used is stuff I already had on hand,this can be made with hand tools if you are careful,a drill press is a lot better. to start I drilled a 17/32 hole in he 1in. stock about 2/3rds deep,then I drilled a 29/24 hold the rest of the way.then I cut a slot with a hacksaw 3/16" up from the step in the body.cut it right to the edge of the hole.that finishes the body of the tool,for the disc cutter and punch rod guide,use a 1" section of black pipe,ie-3/8 nipple, the od is close enough,then drill the id of the nipple with a 7/16" drill,also use the drill bit for the punch rod.then make a collar out ofthe alu. peice,you will have to drill a 17/32 hole in it,then put a peice of flashing in the slot,put the punch/guide rod in the ole,measure from the top of the die body to the top of the punch/guide rod,subtract 1/8th. tha will be the collar height,use a thin 1/2" o-ring,it goes around the guide and under the collar,insert flashing in slot,place punch/guide rod in hole,put on o-ring,put on collar,wack with plastic mallet,insert 7/16 drill bit in guide rod point up,tap with mallet,you have check.

I'm really interested in fabricating a gas check maker. Unfortunately I couldn't view the pictures. Could you kindly post it again? Thanks.

MBTcustom
04-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Hey there edsmith, I'm really interested in your check-maker but your verbal instructions are very hard to follow without a picture. No offense intended what so ever.
The first place I got hung up was step three, where you made the cut with the hack-saw. you say you cut 3/16 up from the step in the body. What step? do you mean the step on the inside of the 1" bar that was created when you drilled it out with the 29/64 drill?

cheese1566
04-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Here is a link to his more current detailed instruction book on making the gas check makers...

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-c7a0815b.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=101816

edsmith
04-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Goodsteel, use the 2 stroke drawings in the above check maker book, it will explain on how to get your measurements, just subistute square stock for round stock, some of the measurements don't have to be spot on, there is some leeway, depending on your boolit, I don't have the photos any more but I will look to make sure. after reading the booklet, ask any questions you may have. Ed