PDA

View Full Version : Un-Freeze 20# Lyman Bottom Pour

Viper225
03-22-2010, 08:49 PM
My Lyman 20# production pot has been setting for a few years. The bottom pour has frozen up. I had it on for a couple hours today dipper pouring bullets. I figured it would turn loose after a while. I was mistaken.

Wondering if one should remove the lift handle and get it out of the road, Heat up the Pot, and turn the plunger with vice grips to break it loose.

Any better plans?

Casting Timmy
03-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I had problems with my 10lb pots in the beginning. I turned them on and then drained them through the spout. Then I was able to clean them up and get them working.

I would suggest dipping it all out and then see what's the matter down there. I wouldn't suggest wrenching on it heavy full of lead. Get it empty and cool before trying to mess with it too much.

Muddy Creek Sam
03-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Heat Gun or torch, Bent Metal paper clip to put up from the bottom be sure to use pliers.

Sam :D

Triggerhappy
03-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Viper,

Heat the pot up then apply a propane torch to the spicket down at the bottom. Mine does that all the time.

Hope that helps.

TH

Triggerhappy
03-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Sam's right, I also use a piece of wire coat hanger to stick up the spout and clean it out after using the torch. Usually doesn't take much.

TH

Viper225
03-22-2010, 09:46 PM
I will try that tomorrow.

I tryed to take the screw out of the Lifter handle a while ago. Twisted it off. Looks like a trip to the shop to drill it out and re-tap it for a new screw. I will take my ingot moulds and ladle to the machine shop with me to empty it out completely. Probably has 3 pounds in it now.

Greenhorn44
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Empty out the pot, pull the rod stopper.
Now take of the bottom so you can get a drill bit at the bottom. Drill it out. Put everything back together. I overboard mine. It pours better than it use too. and little stuff dont gunk it up no more.

Hardcast416taylor
03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
After the pot is empty I turn it upside down, then I apply heat from a MAPP gas torch directly on the spout area. I then start using Allen wrenches in order of size starting with 1/64" and work up in size. These wrenches are tempered meaning they don`t twist and bend like a piece of smooth wire might, I use vise grip pliars to hold onto the wrench. I`ve also cut the "L" end off the wrench and chucked them in a drill motor to ream out the hole.Robert

dominicfortune00
03-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Mine 20# Lyman bottom pour would freeze up when i lowered the temp to low; turn it up a bit and it defrosted fine.

jsizemore
03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Put on the leather gloves, grab the pot, pour ingots till empty. Stand the pot upside down on a couple of bricks so the operating mechanism is free to move and use a panel nail/drill bit/allen wrench small enough to fit the spout hole and clear out the junk. Bang the pot on the bricks upside down after you scrape the sides and your good to go for another 500-600lbs of boolits.

doubs43
03-24-2010, 01:30 PM
I had the same problem with one of my RCBS Pro-Melt bottom pour pots after it sat for probably 7 or 8 years. I have 2 and used only 1 for years. I used a propane torch to heat the spout until it ran OK. It required numerous applications of the torch but now it runs as it should every time.