PDA

View Full Version : 6.5mm 170 gr. "Cruise Missile"

wizard93
03-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey, guys! I was finally able to take advantage of the beautiful weather here Sunday afternoon and fired up the ol' lead pot. I threw a bunch of wheel weights and lead pipe pieces (and a lead pipe joint) into the pot, kind of a "hodgepodge" alloy. I used the 2-cavity Lee 6.5mm bullet mold I ordered from Midsouth over a month ago. I did my usual Lee mold prep ( I always follow Lee's instructions to the letter), and after an hour or so later, I used up a whole 10-pound pot of lead in the production of the "cruise missile". ;)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/tburdette303/Miscellaneous/IMG_0121.jpg

I water quenched these bullets by dropping them from the mold into a bucket of cold water. I haven't counted how many I have yet, but it's heaping over a cake frosting container.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd282/tburdette303/Miscellaneous/IMG_0125.jpg

These missiles are measuring out at .267-.268" diameter and the weight is averaging 177 grains. I've always gotten heavier bullets from Lee molds than what they advertise, but then again WW alloy is heavier than #2 alloy.

...Now to find a sizer, top punch, and some gas checks...

wizard93

Crash_Corrigan
03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
The only problem I have with those is that they are so long that I have difficulty in running them thru my Saeco Lubricizer. It doesn't raise the bar enuf to clear the boolit. I have a whole coffee can of boolits that I cannot size at all.

218bee
03-22-2010, 04:16 PM
I've got a Swede and would like to know how they work for ya. What kind of load data ya gonna use? Keep us posted

bruce drake
03-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Crash - send a note to Buckshot. He makes a great push through sizer. He'll make it to the specs you want for cheaper price than Lee's custom sizing dies.

bkbville
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Lubrisizer is hard, but pan lubing is harder - they fall over...

1Shirt
03-22-2010, 08:39 PM
This blt shoots well in both my Swedes. Checking and lubing is not a problem in either my RCBS or Lyman lube sizer. I lube ALL lube grooves by the way, and know that there are some for which this is taboo. However, mine go in the rifle from the box, and not from the ground where grit can get to the lube. Besides, lube on all multi groove blts including Lovern style just looks right to me, and I don't run out of lube when shooting.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

JeffinNZ
03-22-2010, 08:59 PM
I am with 1Shirt. My Lyman 4500 processes them just fine. I size and lube the entire bullet.

Incidently, a fantastic and free bullet holder/tray for the 6.5mm bullet is a shotgun primer tray. The GCed bullets fit perfectly into the primer holes.

largom
03-23-2010, 09:36 AM
This blt shoots well in both my Swedes. Checking and lubing is not a problem in either my RCBS or Lyman lube sizer. I lube ALL lube grooves by the way, and know that there are some for which this is taboo. However, mine go in the rifle from the box, and not from the ground where grit can get to the lube. Besides, lube on all multi groove blts including Lovern style just looks right to me, and I don't run out of lube when shooting.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

+1 I do the same.

dualsport
03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
OK guys, how about sharing your recipes? This cartridge and/or boolit is very interesting to a lot of us, must be a lot of Swedes out there. I love mine. There's a young lady that shoots one as issued in a milsurp Sil. match I go to that whips everybody. She's knocking down a lot of rams at 500m with hers, hardly ever misses. It looks ordinary enough to me, not a tricked out match gun or anything.

rattletrap1970
11-04-2010, 11:24 AM
What sizer and top punch, I just got one of those molds too.
Anyone have any suggestions about loading?

BABore
11-04-2010, 12:08 PM
The only problem I have with those is that they are so long that I have difficulty in running them thru my Saeco Lubricizer. It doesn't raise the bar enuf to clear the boolit. I have a whole coffee can of boolits that I cannot size at all.

You should be able to drill another hole in the handle, closer to the grip, to raise the up position slightly. When I made a clone of the Saeco sizer, I increased the stroke length and leverage.

Long boolits like these are best sized in a nose first push-through then later lubed in an oversized die. Never found bent boolits to shoot that well.[smilie=b:

geargnasher
11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
That's interesting, Wizard. My Cruise Missile mould casts .2715" at the bands with clip-on wheel weights. It won't chamber in either of my Swedes unless seated so the gas check is 3/16 back into the case. Maybe Lee has gone back to the original "Oldfeller" dimensions?

Would you mind telling me the nose diameter of this mould, 1/8" forward of the first driving band?

Gear