PDA

View Full Version : montana powder compression die

RICKLANDES
03-22-2010, 08:40 AM
I found the above die and insert on sale at Cabelas. I thought good some thing I want on sale BEFORE I go and buy it. I rec'd this in the mail and it will not work for my .45-120. I thought I could add a simple nipple on the top with a nut to extend the length of the die body. This was a no go as a 7/8 14 thread is not too readily available at our small local hardware store.

I went to the shop and turn out a brass tube of 1 3/4" length that the case will easily inser into and with an OD of that just under the minor diameter of the die threads. I now slip the brass tube over my case, charge it and palce the veg wad in place. I put the case and brass tube into the shell holder/press and compact the powder. I measured the amount of compression I wanted and used the depth gauge on the dial caliper to check the compression depth and all were spot on.

I had to play a bit with the die setting depth; starting shallow and then deeper.

In effect what happen is I have lengthen the die to work with the longer powder compression die. The only option I saw otherwise was to buy an expensive Vickerman set up.
I thought you all might like to know if you were in the market for such a thing.

Inciddently I shot my best groups so far by adding this compression die set step into my loading proceedure. I shot a three shot group at just over 1 1/4" at 100 off a two bag rest. :)

This tube will work for 45-90 on up. It may have to shorten a bit, but the result will be the same. I piece of plastic PVC will do the same or a simple pipe nipple if you cannot turn down some stock to meet your needs.