PDA

View Full Version : pistol grip vs. straight grip

pmeisel
03-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I expect to have a few extra dollars in a month and am starting to shop for a deer rifle.

It will probably be a lever action (although I have occasionally been tempted by single shots), and probably off a used rack somewhere.

I would like thoughts from anybody who cares to share what they like about either a pistol grip or straight grip configuration.... I have a little experience in the distant past with both but it's been a long time.

crabo
03-21-2010, 01:13 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=69095&highlight=crabo

stubshaft
03-21-2010, 02:16 PM
FWIW - I have both and also prefer a straight grip.

Doc Highwall
03-21-2010, 03:09 PM
I have both and prefer a pistol grip especially for hard kicking calibers like 45-70 with a 400+ grain bullet at 1700+ fps.

Eutectic
03-21-2010, 03:19 PM
I like the straight grip on lever guns as well as shotguns...... And I don't care how hard they kick! Of course, Ive used my hands all my long life..
I have a Winchester Model 64 in .25-35 and it feels fairly decent... If it wasn't worth so much I'd probably straighten it out!

Eutectic

gon2shoot
03-21-2010, 03:26 PM
I have both, but prefer the straight grip (both for looks and feel).
Dont hesitate to get what feels best for you ,I may snicker, but I'm not shooting your gun. :wink:

Lead Fred
03-21-2010, 06:18 PM
I have both in 30-30, the straight is lighter, and said to have more recoil. The pistol is heavier and said not to have as much recoil.

I use the same ammo in both, see no recoil difference. The straight is lighter and easier to handle.

Personally I like the look of the straight better.

Other than that, they are the same to me.

pmeisel
03-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the link and the thoughts. I will be playing with this for a couple months while I haunt the gun and pawn shops. I won't even ask about calibers.... I have read enough caliber threads....

NickSS
03-22-2010, 06:44 AM
I have both and it does not matter to me at all as far as a general use rifle for hunting and informal target shooting but when it comes to formal competition my rifles all have pistol grips mostly for control of recoil for multiple shots for a long string of shots.

Dutch4122
03-22-2010, 11:12 AM
I prefer the straight grip. That being said, you should pick the style that is most comfortable for you. After all, it's your money, not mine. :)

pdawg_shooter
03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Straight grip for me.

358wcf
03-22-2010, 12:07 PM
I've had both, and far prefer the straight stock. I just feels natural to me, and the "look" is classic. I feel the same about shotguns, as well. This really limits my choices in shotguns, with virtually all the classic shotguns having straight stocks and high price tags. Interesting thought, there- how come ALL the classic high dollar double shotguns have straight (english style) stocks? Looks better, is more natural, and is lighter.
Thinking about handling recoil better, what's the recoil like in a classic 12ga side/side that weighs only 5 1/2 lbs? Lots- and they all have straight stocks!

My money, lots of it, goes to the straight stock--

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

txbirdman
03-22-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm in the "straight grip" camp. I like it because I can slide my hand down the straight grip to insure that the pad of my trigger finger is perfectly situated on the trigger. I believe this helps me to shoot the rifle more accurately. Maybe that's all in my mind but confidence is a key factor.

Ekalb2000
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
One more for the straight grip.
It makes a lever, a lever.

Four Fingers of Death
03-24-2010, 07:41 AM
Traditionally, the straight grip is for offhand, instinctive shooting. The pistol grip is preferred more for aimed shots. Apart from how the two setups feel to you the intended use might also guide your choice. generally the pistol grip stock will give you a better hold for aimed stocks, but for walking through the bracken patch and taking quick stocks, the straight stocks win out. That is why most of the older bolt military rifle have straight or straight-ish stocks and those sniper rifles had more elaborate stocks.

The shotguns made by the better makers feature both types, but the straight is preferred for upland game where quick .

Usually what happens is that we buy the one thats on the shelf when we have the money! :D

Richard B
03-24-2010, 08:14 AM
I have a Marlin 336 with a straight grip in .35 Rem made in 1960 and a Marlin 336 in .32WS with a pistol grip made in 1961. I like both rifles but have a slight preference for the striaght grip which probably has as much to do with the look of the rifle rather than the function.

jh45gun
03-24-2010, 11:49 AM
I prefer the straight grip

BarryinIN
03-24-2010, 01:16 PM
I have some of both, and prefer the curved grip.

As you can see, opinions vary on this but you might have noticed that almost everybody does have a preference. Very seldom do you hear anyone say it doesn't matter to them.

I've used both on bolt rifles too, and I like the straight grip better on them than on levers. My current favorite bolt action is a Steyr Scout and it has a curved grip, but it's a gentle curve. I think Steyr calls it a semi-pistol grip, which is probably fair. I like that a lot.

45r
03-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I like both but a 30-30 Texan followed me home recently and it has a great feel to it.My PG 35 rem is getting cut to 16 1/4 inchs,it might feel better.I've taken a real likening to short barrel Marlins.If you ever run into a Marlin Marauder buy it,you'll love it.I can't ever find one but the Texan is making me real happy now.I wish Marlin would bring back the Marauder.

03-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Interesting thread. I'll be one of the odd men out and say I prefer the pistol grip on the lever guns. Just a bunch more comfortable for me. As fas as the notion that the straight grip being the only "true" lever gun style??... I think Winchester offered the pistol grip as at least a more expensive option since the 1870s with some models as pistol grip only.

doubs43
03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
This past Saturday we had a "Lever Action & Revolver" match. One of our shooters liked my 1895 Marlin Cowboy rifle and bought one new. Then he showed up with it and a stainless Marlin 45-70 with laminated stock. He now wants to sell the CB rifle, new and unfired, because he doesn't like the straight grip. He'd even added a Marble's tang sight. The stainless Marlin has a pistol grip and that's what he's going to keep because it feels better to him.

Straight or pistol grip, it's all a matter of personal choice. I don't have a problem with either.

jh45gun
03-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Then he showed up with it and a stainless Marlin 45-70 with laminated stock. I just cannot get to like the looks of them guns but to each their own. I like Blue steel and Walnut. Guess I am a traditionalist.

Four Fingers of Death
03-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I used to poo poo them until I actually handled one, they are a nice handful. Sorta like the BFR, I didn't like the look of them until I actually saw one up close.

Firebricker
03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm in the straight grip crowd I only have one Marlin lever gun with pistol grip and will eventually make it straight when I can find the part's. It's all personal preferance though.
Best to look at both styles side by side to help make a choice. FB

6pt-sika
03-24-2010, 09:12 PM
I have no less then 16 Marlin's in 444 , two more in 45-70 , one in 375 and an old original 1895 in 38-56 !

Out of these 7 are PG and the other 13 are straight gripped !

Doesn't really make a whole lot of difference to me . Shoot one about as well as the other !

6pt-sika
03-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I just cannot get to like the looks of them guns but to each their own. I like Blue steel and Walnut. Guess I am a traditionalist.

I had a complete collection of ALL the XLR rifles they brought out up until this year .

They all shot and handled well enough , killed deer with most all of them as well ! But they don't grow on you so to speak like the older 444's and 45-70's !

So now the newest Marlin I own is my 1980 vintage 375 !

Except for my 1897 vintage 1895 in 38-56 all my 444's and 45-70's were made from 1965 to 1978 !

jnovotny
03-24-2010, 10:53 PM
I have a number of lever guns, both straight grip and pistol grip doesn't matter to me! Heck I like em all.

Lloyd Smale
03-25-2010, 07:16 AM
i much prefer the looks of a straight grip and most of mine are that way. But when it comes to serious 4570 loads a pistol grip handles the recoil much better without rearanging your fingers.

357maximum
03-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Not too long ago I owned 2 pre micro 336's in 35 rem. One was straight one was pistol gripped. After substantial use with full house loads in both............I sold the straight grip and you would have to beat me down to near death before I would part with my pistol gripped 336SC. They were both as accurate as one another but the pistol grip version carried the recoil better...FOR ME.

I also parted with a straight stocked custom 444 that hit me too hard also...I liked that gun alot better before the conversion.....so I gues I am in the pistol gripped camp.

Dan Cash
03-25-2010, 08:31 AM
It will depend upon your hands but the pistol grip will not knock the knuckle of your middle finger like a straight stocked HEAVY RECOILING gun. A 30.30 does not kick that much so the choice there is for the prefered visual effect. .444 and .45-70 and likely the .338 in a straight stock will likely build an arthritic spur on your knuckle and a flinch.

danny.k
03-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Bought a guidegun a couple years ago and used it ALOT when hunting hawgs and had the gun spitting out boolits at full throttle....but i didnt like smashing my middlefinger against the lever when speedshooting:Fire: the rifle. My right hand kept goin forward for each shot fired...
So i traded stocks with a guy wanting the classic straight look and got his pistolgripped one. I also remade(enlarged) the lever-loop. Man does it feel better "speedshooting" those heavy loads:mrgreen:.

Still like the look of the straight ones better though...