PDA

View Full Version : wheeler fat wrench

Firebricker
03-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Has anybody here used one of these and checked for accuracy ?
Thank's FB

smoked turkey
03-21-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't know how to check for accuracy. All I know is it seems to work so much better than the "farmer tight" method I used to use. Last night I used mine to check the synthetic stock screws on my 300 mag. The chart calls for 40 in-lbs for this application. It may not sound like much but it is tighter than one might think. I believe that my scope bases, rings, etc are much better now that I use the FAT tool.

Doc Highwall
03-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I have not checked mine yet but I do not think it is important like we were making something to go to the moon and back. I mean if you set it for 35 inch pounds and it torques 37.5 inch pounds and it will always repeat with the same error I can live with that. After all it is not a $200.00 tool that is under metrology control with certification stamps to be rechecked every 180 days. I would recommend this wrench to any body.

bdbullets
03-23-2010, 11:35 PM
I got one about a month ago and it works great. I torqued the ring screws on my AR sighted it in, took it off and put it back on with the same torque setting and checked zero it was perfect.

Firebricker
03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Thank's for the responce's that help's. I'm going to get one.
FB

sundog
03-24-2010, 10:48 PM
I've had one for quite awhile, and I like it. In the Army we had calibration tags on measurement kinda stuff, like torque wrenches, and they had to be recalibrated on schedule. For you and me at home, that purdy much ain't gonna happen unless we start breaking of screws and discover something is very badly wrong. Anyway, I see two advantages to having it. First, convenince, b) no more broken screws, and lastly evenly distributed torque. I guess that's three, but who'd counting. I like the tool.