PDA

View Full Version : Ramblings from winter walkabouts..

NHlever
03-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Spring is slowly coming to the north country though we sure have had a nice week. Off, and on during the winter I have been walking the trail on the ridge behind my house. It's a two mile loop, or so, and goes through some brushy, and rough country. I'm not in great shape, and have been undergoing treatments for the past couple of years that don't help that, but I sure have had fun by taking my time. Each time I go out, I have taken along a different gun, or two loaded with my cast boolits. Around here there are coyotes, and sometimes wild boar along with the usual small stuff.
I've come to some conclusions, and some stray thoughts along the way, and wonder if others have done the same. Short is good in rifles on snow. Muzzle up, long barrels take snow from branches, and muzzle down on a sling it's impossible to kneel, or adjust snowshoes, etc. without getting snow in the muzzle. There is seldom a place to rest the gun when it is needed either. I've found that my .357 Marlin carbine is about right, and my 20" barreled Ruger long action ultra light is about as long as I want to go. Caliber seems less important, but again, the .357, or .44 seem good, and I expect one of the bolt action carbines in 7.62x39 would be good too........ or maybe even .308 with cast. Heavy is not good in my case either, and I find 7 1/2 Lbs. to be pretty much the most I really like lugging when in those conditions. Again that points to the same direction in firearms.
Handguns are fun to take along too though most are really too heavy to be lots of fun when you really don't expect to shoot anything, and the big bad bears are all sound asleep. My 26 Oz. Ruger SR-9 is about ideal in weight, and size, but I wonder about it's usefulness on anything too tough..... like a pig. I've carried my 44 Special flattop some, but that is about the limit as far as comfort goes. Perhaps a bandolier type holster would change that. I'm kind of stumped here for calibers. Yes, a lighter .357 works, but beyond that, what? A 45 ACP maybe, or a .40 S&W? My .45 Colt is noticably lighter than my .44 Specials, and I have carried that some. It is closer to the edge size wise though. I have a "CAT" canvas vest that has a pocket designed for a small clipboard I think, and it is nice when a handgun fits in that. My SR-9 does, a 4" 357 will if it is a K frame, or Security Six, or that size gun in general. My little Smith 422 goes there too, and is very light.
Any thoughts along these lines? Have any of you banged around the woods with one of the Ruger Compacts, or CZ 527 carbines, or something similar. If so, how do you find the short stock on the Ruger?
Anyway, it would be nice if we could push this around a little while we are between seasons........

jwhite
03-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I too have been doing a lot of woods rambling this winter/spring. I work a 3 weeks on/3 weeks off schedule and spend most of my off time wandering around looking for shed antlers and chasing bunnies & squirrels. This time off I have been using my marlin 25-20 loaded with 257420 boolits with 11grs of Data 68 for about 1550fps. This is good load, flattens a bunny and shoots accurate enough to head shoot a squirrel. My last time off I used a Ruger compact in 7.62x39 for my primary walk around gun, this is handy little rifle that shoots really well. I was using a variety of cast boolits with light loads of unique for my light loads and always had a few 123gr V-Max's loaded up to factory velocities with RL-7 in case I needed to reach out a little further. I also have a Charles Daly mini-mauser in 7.62x39 that carries and shoots well but I have been using the Ruger more, though I must say I wish the Ruger had a 20" barrel like the mini mauser, really makes a difference on the ears. The other complaint I have about the Ruger is it's matte finish, it scratches real easy and does not seem to be real rust resistant. The 7.62x39 is a great woods bumming cartridge, can be used for squirrels to deer with proper load selection, I would be hard pressed to choose between my little marlin 25-20 and one of my 7.62x39's for a favorite. The Marlin carries better and is a little easier on lead and powder, but the little bolt guns in 30 Russian are more versatile and I like the fact I can use a Lee collet neck sizing die which makes loading a little quicker not having to fool around with lubing the cases.

JW

NHlever
03-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks JW,
I had a Marlin 25-20, but though I tried for a long time I just couldn't get it to shoot cast. I kept the dies, just in case I get another chance. A 32-20 would be good for the same reasons, but of course the 7.62 x39 can be the same thing. I handled one of the Ruger compacts yesterday, and really liked how handy it was, but like you I kind of wish it was an inch longer on both ends.

Crash_Corrigan
03-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Check out a CZ Model 527 in 7.62 x 39. They are light, accurate and with a single set trigger a joy to shoot.

jwhite
03-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks JW,
I had a Marlin 25-20, but though I tried for a long time I just couldn't get it to shoot cast. I kept the dies, just in case I get another chance. A 32-20 would be good for the same reasons, but of course the 7.62 x39 can be the same thing. I handled one of the Ruger compacts yesterday, and really liked how handy it was, but like you I kind of wish it was an inch longer on both ends.

The short barrel would definitely not keep me from buying another one of the Ruger compacts, I wish it was a little longer but over all it is a great rifle. I would like to have one in 35 remington, what a deer rifle! I have a LBT 165gr LFN mold that was cut for my mini-mauser but works fine great in the Ruger, just needs to be seated a little deeper, and this boolit works great on deer. I have soft pointed this boolit and loaded to just shy of 2000fps it kills way out of proportion to its size. I got in on the group buy for the 311440 and look forward to trying it out when they arrive, should be another good deer boolit for the 30 Russian.

Too bad your little Marlin would not shoot cast, mine will shoot just all well with cast as it does will jacketed. If I had every bunny and squirrel that rifle has taken it would make quite a pile. I have had mine since '93 and refinished the wood twice and the receiver is looking a little gray from where my hand is wearing the blueing. I originally mounted a small 1-5x scope on it when I first bought it, could not hit a thing with it, pulled the scope off in disgust and at my father in laws prodding put on williams peep sight and never looked back, I did eventually install a smaller ivory front bead up front.
JW

Jack Stanley
03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't have a woods or a ridge to bum on but I can see the neighbors woods from my place . I got fields and overgrown fence rows to walk around and it seems my choices for walking around are down to three . A marlin .357 carbine loaded with LBT hundred eighty-five grain bullets in a thirty-eight case . Another choice is the Browning model fifty-three in 32-20 , I normally save this one for decent days and days I remember Grandpa . When the woodchucks are moving in the spring and still have sleep in their eyes I'll carry a Remington 597 chambered in .22 magnum . The expensive Winchester hollow points really put them back to sleep quick . I tried carrying a flat top AR for chuck use but it's really to heavy for my likeing at least when I need to walk around . The story reverses quite a bit when I can sit still and watch the field .

This summer I think I will be spending a little more time with the Browning , I have a bunch of empty cases to fill . I've always loaded a low velocity cast bullet in it and I'm thinking about boosting the spped up to about fifteen hundred or so . Time will tell how much the plain base lead will take . In the fall just before deer season if the red squirrels are bad I've been out back with an old Remington outside hammer double and trap loads to thin the population some .

About the only handguns that gets out for real work is a four inch model twenty-nine Smith . Loaded with two hundred ten or two hundred forty grain cast and mid range velocity . Normally that's only when I've got the chain saw out and the neighborhood "sightings" of the cougar ( or black panther or bear that's the marvel of the gossips for the week ) are up . Overall I don't use handguns near as much as I used to I didn't start shooting them again untill my nephew graduated police school . The Smith , while heavy rides pretty well party due to the nylon duty belt I wear it on . I use keepers to hold that belt to the pants belt . A bandoleer or shoulder hoslter might be a better way of doing it , just haven't got to trying it out yet .

I enjoyed your post tremendously , thanks .

Jack

6.5 mike
03-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Always liked my 4" 29. Can't remember the last time I fired it, but it was with cast. Used it as a back up gun in the kettelman hills before kommyfornia.

NHlever
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
The short barrel would definitely not keep me from buying another one of the Ruger compacts, I wish it was a little longer but over all it is a great rifle. I would like to have one in 35 remington, what a deer rifle! I have a LBT 165gr LFN mold that was cut for my mini-mauser but works fine great in the Ruger, just needs to be seated a little deeper, and this boolit works great on deer. I have soft pointed this boolit and loaded to just shy of 2000fps it kills way out of proportion to its size. I got in on the group buy for the 311440 and look forward to trying it out when they arrive, should be another good deer boolit for the 30 Russian.

Too bad your little Marlin would not shoot cast, mine will shoot just all well with cast as it does will jacketed. If I had every bunny and squirrel that rifle has taken it would make quite a pile. I have had mine since '93 and refinished the wood twice and the receiver is looking a little gray from where my hand is wearing the blueing. I originally mounted a small 1-5x scope on it when I first bought it, could not hit a thing with it, pulled the scope off in disgust and at my father in laws prodding put on williams peep sight and never looked back, I did eventually install a smaller ivory front bead up front.

JW

The best my 25-20 ever did with cast was about 2 1/2"at 50 yards on a really good day. The chamber was a bit on the sloppy side, and the rifling had some defects (tool chatter marks, and a gouge) so eventually I gave up on it, and sold it to a guy that was collecting them, and not shooting them. I agree that a nice light bolt gun in .35 Remington would be a great gun to have! Remington does them through the custom shop, and I wish they would make at least a short run of them for everyone.

KYCaster
03-21-2010, 10:43 PM
I have a CZ527 in 7.62X29. The only complaint I have with it is the five round magazine sticks out right at the balance point and makes it very awkward to carry. With a three round flush mag conversion it would make an ideal walk-about gun.

Jerry

excavman
04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
My favorite sidearm for packin' in the woods is a Rossi mdl. 720 44spl. It's a three inch barrel 5 shooter and weighs in around 20 oz. You can still find one now and then on Gun Broker for less than $400.

Combat Diver
04-27-2010, 02:33 AM
I've got three woods roaming guns, 20" Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag, 14.5" M4ergy (built same as what I'm used to except .5" longer flash hinder and no happy switch to make me legal) and a M1 Carbine. All three weigh in around 6 lbs. On my hip I like my old Charter Arms 3" Bulldog in .44 SPL, Smith 58 (when carrying the Marlin) or M1911. I do miss my 4" K frames and looking for another when I get home. I'm also thinking of a 6.8 SPC upper for my AR.

As far as winter and snow in the muzzle I use a piece of electrical or duct tape to keep snow/rain/mud out. When in the field for the Army always kept a muzzle cap on the end of my M16/M4. The gases will blow it off before the bullet does. For a sling on the M1/M4 Carbines I just like a two point side mounted sling. When carried across the chest, muzzle down, its quick to shoulder and doesn't get in the way of anything. Can easyly take a knee if needed (done thousands of times patrolling).

Bret4207
04-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Charter BullDog, Smith Airwieght Bodyguard or my Smith 22 Kit Gun all work great for field work- my version of woods walking. For a rifle it's pretty hard to beat my approx 6 lbs 6.5x257 Arisaka. It's one of those ugly, $100.00 bubba guns that you can bet on a little without much worry. My FR8 is more cast friendly, but weighs more. Best of all is my Rem #4 32 S+W Long but it needs a barrel. 4 lbs of 32 caliber fun right there!

StarMetal
04-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Charter BullDog, Smith Airwieght Bodyguard or my Smith 22 Kit Gun all work great for field work- my version of woods walking. For a rifle it's pretty hard to beat my approx 6 lbs 6.5x357 Arisaka. It's one of those ugly, $100.00 bubba guns that you can bet on a little without much worry. My FR8 is more cast friendly, but weighs more. Best of all is my Rem #4 32 S+W Long but it needs a barrel. 4 lbs of 32 caliber fun right there!

Bret,

Did you mean to say your Arisaka is a 6.5/.257 or is it indeed a 6.5/.357. That has me scratching my head.

redneckdan
04-27-2010, 11:11 AM
I use the tape method. Medical tape seems to work best.

Bret4207
04-28-2010, 07:52 AM
Bret,

Did you mean to say your Arisaka is a 6.5/.257 or is it indeed a 6.5/.357. That has me scratching my head.

yeah, fat fingers and a 1 year old running around don;t help with clarity!

9.3X62AL
04-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I REALLY like the Ruger 77RC I have in 223 for desert walkabouts. It weighs well under 8 lbs with scope (Leup Compact 3x-9x), and can drive tacks with loads it likes. It did OK with cast 55 grain Loverin look-alikes from a now-departed NEI mould, and I recently poured some RCBS 55 grain SP in Lino that will get a test-drive shortly. The therapeutic breezes gotta back down under 20 MPH for that, though.

The Marlin 94s I have in 25-20 and 32-20 are other walkabout rifles I enjoy for jackrabbit rehab. These have really "come around" with castings after 500 j-words and about 1000 poured boolits each. Neither is a benchrest rifle, but jackrabbits are DONE at 125 yards, sometimes a mite further out. I keep thinking about a CZ-527 in 22 Hornet for this kind of thing, but the 223 with castings will likely scratch that itch nicely.

If I'm on walkabout in edgier areas--closer to the Mexican border--the Mini-14 gets the duty. 'Nuff said.

Sidearms are kinda secondary for me if I'm carting a rifle around, unless I'm near the border. Mostly, I have a Ruger 22/45 along. GREAT pistol, and it feeds anything--and shoots even bulk-box ammo pretty well. A little Colt Police Positive x 4" in 38 S&W I bought last year has gone along lately, and the #358477s at 725 FPS drop jacks very capably. Close to the border, it's the S&W 686 x 4".

StarMetal
04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Usually around the farm, or when I take the ATV up the mountain, Yeah Allen..you guessed it, I take one of my 30 Lugers!

Bret, I have one of those 22 S&W Kit guns too. Was my dad's. I had bought it for him and got it back when he passed on. I find myself shooting my S&W 617 more. Actually that 617 is the only 22 revolver that will give my target bull barrel Ruger Mark I trouble. My carry around 22 pistol is my Walther PP...another amazingly accurate little devil.

Al, My Sako Mannlicher Carbine in 7mm-08 only weighs 7 lbs scoped, slinged, and fully loaded.