PDA

View Full Version : TiteGroup in rifles?

NHlever
03-20-2010, 08:23 PM
So what about Titegroup in rifles. It measures better than Red Dot, and 700x, and is just a little slower burning. It isn't position sensitive, and doesn't seem subject to unpredictable pressure spikes. I got the idea when I saw a load of 3.1 grains listed under a 55 fmj in the Hodgdon manual. Hmm. Anyway, I loaded up some with my 22596, and 225415 cast boolits in .223 cases, and gave them a try. ( I have quick load so used that to get some idea of what I was doing) Six grains of Titegroup with 225415 shot five rounds into 3/4" at 50 yards...... Now I have some loaded up for my 257 Roberts, and some more loads to try in the .223. Any thoughts, or concerns?

BTW, I shoud be right around .22WMR velocities with that load, and no pressure indications at all. I probably could go to 11 grains safely.

RKJ
03-21-2010, 06:40 AM
I saw in the new Handloader Mag an article about Titegroup, of course I can't find the magazine right now. I got it off the newsstand at walmart though and I'm sure there are others that have a copy.

44mag1
03-21-2010, 01:10 PM
I use it all the time for rifles.

35remington
03-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Only with quadruple charging! It's so dense that it doesn't take up much airspace.

NHlever
03-21-2010, 09:40 PM
35 Remington, "only with quadruple charging" ? What? Not position sensitive? I'm trying to learn about this as there is little documented info on it. I need to know the things that Quickload doesn't tell me. I know it takes up little space so maybe it's much better suited to nothing larger than the .223 case? The 257 Roberts should show me any problems there. I'm all ears to anything others know.

35remington
03-21-2010, 10:00 PM
The response was to "any thoughts or concerns."

My only concern is that it is so dense that it's hard to see if the case is charged or not, and multiple charges can disappear in the case, unnoticed unless you're vigilant to guard against such things.

I tried weird stuff like loading it quite lightly, and it is indeed pretty position insensitive. Accuracy wasn't necessarily the best, but then it rarely is with the fast powders in what I'm using it for in rifles.

No matter.....it does work for reduced loads. It's just super dense and the dark color makes it disappear in the case quite readily.

NHlever
03-21-2010, 10:25 PM
OK, thanks for the clarification 35 Remington. I've been loading for nearly 50 years now, and I still charge one case, and then seat the boolit before charging another case. Slow, but that strong habit has kept me out of trouble so far. I do appreciate that concern, and the caution. Six grains with the 225415 produced 3/4" five shot groups at 50 yards with a couple of groups having 4 shots in 3/8", or so....... pretty muddy at 100 still, so it shows promise accuracy wise in that gun.