PDA

View Full Version : marlin 35 rem and lead boolits

Deputy Dog
03-20-2010, 07:55 PM
I am new to computers I asked this question and Iknow its somewhere on this forum. I want to know if any one has had good results with micro-groove barrels and lead boolits I have just bought this marlin and was wandering if it was worth my time to try and shoot lead in it.

454PB
03-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes. I have a 336 Marlin with microgroove barrel in .35 Remington, and it shoots great with the RCBS 200 gr. FN sized .358".

izzyjoe
03-20-2010, 09:14 PM
:grin: yes you can,and vey well in some cases. you can shoot pistol boolits to. you need to size them +.001-.002 over bore size, but they make for fun shoot'n. do some look'n back in the old threads you might find what your look'n for. oh' and welcome aboard, but be careful this is habit forming!:Fire:

Deputy Dog
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the insight I was told that it did not like lead . Guess I have to order another mould. Also heard lead wheel weights are by law being replaced by zinc better get what you can while they can be had. Iam down to about150#andabout 50# of linotype.

Newtire
03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Deputy Dog,
So far, I've been able to get both of my micro-groove Marlins to shoot cast wheelweight boolits just fine. One is a .30-30 and the other is a .444. Just make sure the slug is big enough in diameter. (We have beat that topic to death around here so won't go into it.)

I have a .35 Remington 336 with 24" barrel but it's not micro-groove. It likes a 12 grain charge of Unique and a 190 grain plain-based boolit for a plinker. For a heavy load, I use H-335 and the 190 grain Ranch Dog. I would bet the RCBS made for that round works great too, judging by what their bullet for the .32 does in my .32 special.

jlchucker
03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the insight I was told that it did not like lead . Guess I have to order another mould. Also heard lead wheel weights are by law being replaced by zinc better get what you can while they can be had. Iam down to about150#andabout 50# of linotype.

The first time I tried Lyman 204 gr cast boolits in a 35 Remington (microgroove) I fired a 3 shot cloverleaf, off a bench, at 50 yards. I tried it at 100 and got a sub-one inch group, using a scope. No further load development necessary. I've since sold that mold, replacing it with an equally accurate RCBS 200 grain one. I've since loaded for several microgroove Marlins (I myself own two--one with scope, another with receiver sight) and have always gotten excellent results with boolits shot from these rifles. I never even realized there was supposed to be a problem with microgroove barrels using cast boolits until I started seeing articles in the gunmags about this. Solution? I stopped reading gun mags and started reading this website instead.

Newtire
03-21-2010, 06:29 PM
I stopped reading gun mags and started reading this website instead.

Kinda like saving one who has gone astray, makes me a little choked up...hah hah...

Deputy Dog
03-21-2010, 06:34 PM
The first time I tried Lyman 204 gr cast boolits in a 35 Remington (microgroove) I fired a 3 shot cloverleaf, off a bench, at 50 yards. I tried it at 100 and got a sub-one inch group, using a scope. No further load development necessary. I've since sold that mold, replacing it with an equally accurate RCBS 200 grain one. I've since loaded for several microgroove Marlins (I myself own two--one with scope, another with receiver sight) and have always gotten excellent results with boolits shot from these rifles. I never even realized there was supposed to be a problem with microgroove barrels using cast boolits until I started seeing articles in the gunmags about this. Solution? I stopped reading gun mags and started reading this website instead.

Good idea talk to folks that have been there and done it. I will order that rcbs mould and give it a go.

jlchucker
03-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Kinda like saving one who has gone astray, makes me a little choked up...hah hah...

Hallelujah!!! I was saved a couple of years ago. Blessed was the day!!

jlchucker
03-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Good idea talk to folks that have been there and done it. I will order that rcbs mould and give it a go.

You may as well get yourself a can of 3031, WW748, Unique, or, like Newtire says, H-335. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, an old RCBS Cast Bullet handbook, Or the Lyman Reloading Handbook if you don't already have any of these. And while you're at it, find the guy who told you that cast boolits don't work in microgroove Marlins and slap him upside of the head with a rolled up copy of one of those gunmags that he must read. Then, come deer season, go out and drop a 10 pointer with one of those 200 grainers you're going to cast. Just one ought to do it just fine. Good Luck. :Fire:

GabbyM
03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
That RCBS is a great mould. I'd hate to pass up an opportunity to show off my 205 grain from Mountainmolds dot com. It's about 12 grains lighter as cast from the same alloy. The RCBS is 200 grains as cast from Linotype so yields just short of 220 grains from most alloys we use for expandable hunting bullets.

Cast from an alloy of around 2% antimony 1 ½ % tin then heat treat at 420* F for 15 minutes then water quench. Or just cut wheel weights by half with pure lead and forget the tin. I'd use 400* for the no tin alloy as it will be potentially harder and more brittle.

Even in a 30-30 you can potentially produce the best hunting bullet you can shoot with careful casting technique. With a 35 caliber your error tolerance is very much enlarged. Just holding one of those big fat slugs between your fingers common sense will tell you it's got to put the hurt on at over 2,000 fps.

Here is a photo of the RCBS 35-200-FN on the left and my 35-205-FN on the right. So now you know what the RCBS bullet looks like. RCBS as shown weighs just under 220 grains.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=503

Deputy Dog
03-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Gabby Ijust ordered a Lyman 358315 from gaff. I loaded 10 rounds 9.0 unique and a 158 semi wad cuttershot a quarter size group over the hood of my truck at 50 yds.

helice
03-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Ain't it sweet to be able to log into this group. Advice, encouragement and wisdom (ie. "Been there - done that - bought the mould.") Helice

Engineer
03-22-2010, 06:18 AM
G'day all. I'm new here and have been sniffing around on a couple of occasions. I like what I read and see. I've been casting projectiles for many years mainly using wheel weights and pure lead for my percussion rifles.

Saw this query on the Marlin 35 Rem. I have one and it shoots really well with 200gn wheel weights in the micro groove barrel. For hunting pigs, I like to use 158gn jacketed pistol projectiles ... they really upset these Queensland pigs out west no end.

It's going to take me the rest of my life to read all that's on offer here. Great site.

Terry

Nobade
03-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Just shot my new 35 for the first time yesterday. That RCBS 200gr. unsized, no gas check, tumble lubed, over a case full of Trailboss put 10 into a quarter sized hole at 50 yds. The same boolit, paperpatched over a full load of VV N133 held 2 inches at 100 yards. Yep, them microgroove barrels are just fine with cast.

Deputy Dog
03-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Nobade
I would like to learn how to paper patch CAST BOOLITS would like to hear more about it.I have a little knowledge on it just was sceard to venture into it:violin:

izzyjoe
03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
:Fire:deputy dog,8-) good to here you got your .35 shoot'n well. man that's a great catrigde, short&stout. but like you was say'n about zinc ww it's just a matter of time all them lead'n ww will be all gone.:( but then we'll prob'lly make'em out of somet'n else.

35remington
03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Kinda funny how all the microgroove .22's Marlin makes shoot lead bullets just fine yet rumor says it won't work with centerfires!

This past year I accounted for a deer with an enlarged 225 grain RCBS clone made on one of the group buys here and beagled to optimize the dimensions to make sure the bore ride portion bore rides.

With 35.5 grains IMR 3031 it groups just fine, much to my 10 pt. buck's regret, at 2050 fps. The heavy bullet carries the freight for whitetails!

I prefer .360-.361" if I can manage it. My RCBS 200 FN casts to .3595" out of wheelweights and weighs about 214 grains gaschecked and lubed. It shoots pretty durn well despite being a little smaller in diameter than my preference.

Blammer
03-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I sorta like this one

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits%20fun/DSCN7697.jpg

and this one but in a 35 whelen. :)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits%20fun/DSCN7757.jpg

and a few more..

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/DSCN7523.jpg

not sure if all will work in the 35 remington

testhop
03-22-2010, 09:09 PM
G'day all. I'm new here and have been sniffing around on a couple of occasions. I like what I read and see. I've been casting projectiles for many years mainly using wheel weights and pure lead for my percussion rifles.

Saw this query on the Marlin 35 Rem. I have one and it shoots really well with 200gn wheel weights in the micro groove barrel. For hunting pigs, I like to use 158gn jacketed pistol projectiles ... they really upset these Queensland pigs out west no end.

It's going to take me the rest of my life to read all that's on offer here. Great site.

Terry

TERRY
welcome from across the water :cbpour:

tom

Engineer
03-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks Tom for the welcome. Great place to be and so much info to digest ... but I'm getting there.

Terry

ammohead
03-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Nobade
I would like to learn how to paper patch CAST BOOLITS would like to hear more about it.I have a little knowledge on it just was sceard to venture into it:violin:

There is a forum here just for paper patching.

ammohead

O.S.O.K.
03-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Didn't read all replies complete - just skimmed down but I'll just add and recommend a few things:

Lyman No.2 or Wheel Weight alloy is fine for rifles up to 2000 fps - will even expand some for hunting...
I recommend gas check designs and I personally use the Lee sizer dies
Size the boolits .359" and use two coats of Lee Liquid Alox (comes with the sizer die kit)

I have the RCBS die but you may try a Lee die first- the ones that I have are very good and only $25... including the handles.

JFE
03-26-2010, 05:40 AM
Does anyone know whether Group Buy NOE 360180 feed and cycle in Marlin 35 Rem leverguns when loaded to the crimp groove ?