PDA

View Full Version : Finally: Reliable Ignition In My Dixie Flinter

Maven
03-20-2010, 05:28 PM
On the first warm day we've had in a long while, I took my Dixie .50cal flintlock to the range for some "exercise." For a change, ignition was perfect: Instantaneous & reliable. No hangfires or flashes in the pan. I couldn't ask for more. However, these stroke of good fortune didn't just happen, but was the result of several things, not in the least of which was having Waksupi reharden the frizzen. In addition, I used FFFFg priming powder, which I purchased from Dixon's in PA last week, and added a T/C agate flint that I've been itching to try (expensive, but very durable & "sparky"). To say I was overjoyed would be an understatement as that rifle had always been temperamental when using the flint lock, but 100% reliable with the cap lock and drum.

As pleased as I was, I also noticed the rifle was shooting several inches low @ 25 yds., which I think was due to the faster ignition mentioned above. Then too, I changed to a spit (saliva) patch (without wiping) as recommended by Roger Fisher in the March "Muzzle Blasts," and had no problem with fouling or seating the RB at all. Clean up was easy too. In case you're interested, the load chain was:

50 grs. Goex FFFg + Dixon's FFFFg priming powder

.490" RB (T/C mould) + .018" pillow ticking patch

Lube = saliva; patch was wet as per Roger Fisher's recommendation with NO additional bore wiping

Vent liner = Dixie

Next time I'll try a .495"RB diameter with both .015" and .018" pillow ticking patches to see if I can raise the ball's impact without filing the front sight.

missionary5155
03-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Good Afternoon
Except for the BEST quality flintlocks I make it a habit to Kassenite all my frizzens before trying to shoot them. I have been to often un-nerved by a nice flinter that just fizzles a bare minimum.
I have yet to have a problem with a kassenite treated frizzen IF the hammer is properly aligned and the flint is knapped. 3F will reliably fire a flinter also... give it a try.

waksupi
03-20-2010, 07:07 PM
I love it when a plan comes together!

10 ga
03-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Try 85 grains of the Goex or go to 75 gr. of Swiss. That should "raise" the POI some. 10 ga

northmn
03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Usually up close increasing the charge will not make "several inches" difference. Always settle on an accurate load before adjusting the sights. Use of any liquid for lube is going to be more self cleaning. One individual experimented and found water to work. I never liked spit as on hot days I kind of ran out in a shoot. LHV lube is a favorite. Grease lubes, like Bore butter are best used for hunting applications where the gun is carried a while. 50 grains of 3f is an old standby, but I knew one indivdual that shot 70 grains on everything from 25 yards novelty shoots to deer. It was his most accurate load. Swiss will also foul a little less. Your change in impact may be due to less fouling. When I chronographed different calibers I found that the first shot out of a clean barrel was always slower. It required a couple of shots for things to get consistant. If you want even better ignition see if Waksupi can install a White Lightening vent liner.

Northmn

waksupi
03-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't see Paul saying he had bad accuracy, just that he has a different point of impact. If already shooting the most accurate load for the rifle, all that will happen with changing the load, is to make it not shoot as well. A simple sight adjustment takes care of the problem.
I see people at shoots using different powder charges for different ranges. This is foolish. Find your best load, and use it for everything, target and hunting. I have never seen a load juggler in the winners circle.

Maven
03-21-2010, 11:37 AM
All, As Waksupi mentioned, accuracy wasn't a problem. At 25 yds., I got several touching offhand and from a "rest" (elbows on the table + wadded up bath mat). They were low, as I mentioned above, but accuracy was excellent. Also, the Dixie rifle is limited to 70 grs. FFg by the manufacturer (Miroku/Dixie), so I'm not willing to push much harder than that. Lastly, since I had some green MMP .50cal./.429" sabots with me, I decided to try try them with the same 50 gr. FFFg charge. The CB was the RCBS 250-K (plain base). While this combination is very accurate in my inline with a 1:28" twist, it wasn't so in the Dixie with its RB twist. Recoil was a nastier than the RB load too.

pietro
03-21-2010, 03:57 PM
My .50 rocklock, an A&H Mountain Rifle, likes Goex FFFg also - I use it in the pan to simplify matters, w/o any issues.

The ignition is virtually instantaneous - MUCH faster than any of my caplocks - surprizing me greatly the first time I fired it.

I've never had to do anything, other than ensure it was fed good quality flints, with a good edge.

I'm sure you now find your Dixie satisfying, as well.

northmn
03-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I used to change loads for different ranges and won a couple of shoots or so, (one was a state championship). Some rifles are not all that finicky about loads. Had a 58 that liked two loads, 70 grains of 3f and 110 grains. Sometimes the difference in accuracy isn't all that great either.
When you bench rest you may be wise to place your hand under the forearm? A good way to resharpen those TC flints is to get a Silicon wheel (I ahve one for a dremmel) and sharpen with them as they really do not knap very well. The wheels are green. Wear a dust mask.

Northmn