PDA

View Full Version : Why did this Swede m/96 sell for $580?

Dutchman
03-20-2010, 05:27 PM
This Gunbroker auction closed just a few minutes ago @ $580 for a seemingly ordinary m/96. Its a clean rifle, meaning its not beat up. But why did it bring $580?
(yes, I know).

1915 is the year of highest production.

I should also say that it was not a mindless bidding war.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160923473

Dutch

StarMetal
03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Dutch,

I did a double take on the stock that rifle wears. Looks like a twin to my Swede. Only thing I can guess is they wanted it bad. I've seen some nicer ones go on the Gunboards a lot cheaper.

Dutch, not a Swede, but a G98/40 JHV ring a bell with you? I got one coming.

Dutchman
03-20-2010, 06:05 PM
jhv is the nazi code for FEG (Femaru) factory in Budapest, Hungary.

Its a slightly awkwardly functioning bolt action similar to the Danish Madsen in that the bolt handle is further forward and locks in front of the rear bridge. It was one of the rifles the nazi pondscum drafted into service of the 3rd Reich and put their mark of the devil on.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?163216-WTS-G-98-40-jhv-44

Dutchman
03-20-2010, 06:06 PM
What's the serial number of your Swede?

StarMetal
03-20-2010, 08:52 PM
I'll have to look at the number on my Swede and get back to you. You are correct on the G98/40 JHV except that it's a Mannlicher action with a box magazine. Dead ringer for it in fact. They are pretty rare actually and very underrated and unappreciated of all the German WWII rifles. They are also very well crafted.

atr
03-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Dutchman.....in my opinion the prices I see at gunbroker are inflated. In fact I would venture to say that most gun prices today are inflated. Still there are individuals who have the $$$ at the inflated price, and until they wise up I suspect the prices will remain in the "I dont belive it" zone

izzyjoe
03-20-2010, 11:16 PM
atr, i'll have to agree with you on that statment. as my ole'granddad used to say a fool and his funds will soon part ways. don't know bout yall' but i own nuff' guns so i save my money for powder,primers and the main thing, LEAD!!!!:veryconfu

Dutchman
03-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Nope, you guys are off on this one. This rifle sold for about it's fair market price. Knowledge is power!

This 1915 Carl Gustaf has a maple stock. Maple was used only in 1915-1916-1917 and the numbers were very small. While this particular maple stock has very faint fiddleback it was strong enough that somebody else noticed it wasn't beech like the seller thought. Maple and mahogany are the two most scarce stock woods used on Swedish Mausers. Most mahogany gets mistaken for walnut but we do have two verified examples of mahogany.

You can't lump together all m/96 rifles and say they're all worth the same. That's not the way it works. To advanced collectors the incidence of spectacular stocks greatly increases value and accordingly, price.

This maple stocked m/96 could be called spectacular. If this rifle today is actually worth $580 to the m/96 collector's world what would this one be worth? The same? (no way!). How much more would ultimately be decided by the buyer. Could you find another rifle with a stock like this? Maybe not. The sheer numerical odds would say no. IMO, you couldn't find a better example of exhibition grade maple on a Swedish Mauser. If I was asked to assess this rifle below I'd put $850 on it. Those of you who think this is outrageous are simply out of touch with the market today. It is very competitive. Ultimately, this rifle below would probably sell for $1,000 or better. Out of half a million m/96 made 1915-16-17 -- how many of this grade maple survived?

http://images54.fotki.com/v552/photos/2/28344/1676633/mas2a-vi.jpg

http://images9.fotki.com/v449/photos/2/28344/1676633/mas3a-vi.jpg

http://images41.fotki.com/v9/photos/2/28344/1676633/mas4a-vi.jpg

NVcurmudgeon
03-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Dutchman.....in my opinion the prices I see at gunbroker are inflated. In fact I would venture to say that most gun prices today are inflated. Still there are individuals who have the $$$ at the inflated price, and until they wise up I suspect the prices will remain in the "I dont belive it" zone

atr, couldn't be more in agreement with you, however one can game the system. I recently sold two firearms on GB. First I watched identical offerings to what I planned to sell attracting bids short of "reserve" prices for several weeks. The auction would end and the same gun would be immediately relisted and predictably not sell again. I set my starting price at an amount I would have settled for, my "buy it now" for what my research indicated was about all the market could bear, and NO RESERVE. I sold the firearms for my buy it now in one case, and almost that much in the other case. Did I get top (improbable) dollar? No. but I got decent prices where were just enough to buy one new rifle and one used rifle that I had been in lust with for some time. IMO, I kept my eye on the ball and sold a bullseye pistol that I haven't used for eight years and a lovely shotgun that I haven't used for over thirty years in favor of two rifles that I am getting a lot of enjoyment from shooting.

Kraschenbirn
03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
It ain't just Gunbroker. Here in central Illinois, a well-known auction house holds two or three consignment auctions a year. I'm talking LARGE auctions of 500-800 guns that draw bidders from all over the lower 48. Guns range from "parts only" to out-and-out high-end collectibles (How 'bout an H&H .500 Express double or a U.S.-marked 1st Gen. SAA or a Pigeon-grade 28 ga. M12 Win.? Just a sample of what's listed on the sale bill for the next auction.)

At the January sale, I watched two dealers from Californina spend over $120,000 in less than an hour skimming off the cream of a collection of pre-WWII SAAs and Winchesters. At the same auction, I saw used S&Ws, Glocks, and SIGs...models still in production in most cases...sell for as much (or MORE) than current off-the-shelf prices. There was a bubba'd Ruger #3 in .45-70 that went for nearly the price of a new #1. (I was thinking of, maybe, rebarreling to .30-40 but kept my hands in my pockets after the second bid went over $400.) One of Mitchell's reworked 98Ks brought almost $700.

Odd part is that the "lower end" guns seem to sell, for the most part, at fairly reasonable prices. This last sale, I picked up very clean 1939 Tula M91 with matching #s and Finn "SA" and "D" receiver stamps (probable "Winter War capture) for $140. At the same time, my buddy bought a late-1950s Marlin 336 (showing some wear but not abused) for $220. The sale before that, I snagged a 1909 Argie carbine (matching #s w/original wood - no import stamp) for $155.

From what I've seen at these auctions and the few dealers still in business in this area, the "future collectibles" and the new, high-techie, para-military semi-autos are the hot tickets and their overpricing seems to have inflated the rest of the market.

Bill

atr
03-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Dutchman,,,
dont get me wrong....I was making a general statement about firearm prices...
I agree that the M96 with the birdseye stock was probably worth the price...I know I would have been tempted.

And I think Bill has a point about "high-techie, para-military semi-autos" inflating the market.

doubs43
03-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Speaking of auctions and outlandish prices, yesterday there was an auction locally with 1025 firearms sold. In addition to the prices at knockdown, add 17 - 20% on top of it depending upon whether cash or credit card was used.

I had a match so didn't go but one of the guns sold was an 1897 Winchester "Trench Gun" that IMO is a fake. The photographs of both sides of the receiver showed no "U.S." or Flaming Bomb Ordinance stamp which a military issue Trench Gun would most certainly have. It had the heat shield - bent in the middle - and bayonet mount but the close-ups of the receiver seemed to show streaks from an old cold blue touch-up. Looking at the pictures set off alarm bells in my head.

Could I be wrong? Sure. It happens and I hope whoever spent almost $2,700 for it ($2,300 plus 17% buyer's premium and tax - $2,760 if paid by CC) knows something I don't. Maybe US Marine Trench Guns weren't marked the same as US Army guns or maybe civilian models were sold. I only know that I'd not pay that much without being 100% certain of what I was buying.

Anyway, I looked through the entire 1,025 guns sold and I saw many, many guns sold at prices I consider to be crazy. The catalog has been taken down or I'd post it for everyone to see. Sorry.

JeffinNZ
03-21-2010, 10:41 PM
It sold for that amount because that is what the buyer was happy to pay. Pretty simple really. What you and I think it was worth is irrelevant.

doubs43
03-22-2010, 01:20 AM
It sold for that amount because that is what the buyer was happy to pay. Pretty simple really. What you and I think it was worth is irrelevant.

Jeff, if you're referring to the M96 then you may be correct. If you're talking about the Trench Gun and it turns out to be a fake, I seriously doubt that the buyer will be happy.

It all comes down to caveat emptor.

Four Fingers of Death
03-22-2010, 01:41 AM
We have a few used gun sale or auction sites here in Australia. Most of the stuff seems to be expensive, but there is a lot of stuff with a sold sticker on it. I need to clear out a few rifles and pistols, I'm currently studying the market and will try it later. Swedes don't press my buttons, but that is one of the nicest ones I've seen.

Military rifles in good condition are bringing obscene prices here lately.

JeffinNZ
03-22-2010, 05:07 AM
Another point to consider is there are no more surplus rifles to come for the most part - certainly in the case of Garands, Lee Enfields, M96's. If there are any left is govt. stores it won't be many so the value of those in private hands and good condition will likely climb.

Four Fingers of Death
03-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Another point to consider is there are no more surplus rifles to come for the most part - certainly in the case of Garands, Lee Enfields, M96's. If there are any left is govt. stores it won't be many so the value of those in private hands and good condition will likely climb.

I sure hope you are right! I have a sheetload of milsup rifles! :D

Ivantherussian03
03-26-2010, 01:16 AM
I am going to look at my m96 now; if I remember right it is a hardwood stock.

izzyjoe
03-27-2010, 10:54 PM
nobody has said it but dutchman, that is a real nice rifle you have there,i mean real nice.10x better than the one in the listing,your a lucky man. but it seems to me (it may just be me) but some people are willing to pay top dollar for average plain ol' guns. oh' well the sellers don't care nor should i. i saw the same thing happen to the muscle cars of 60' & 70's people paying way to much for cars that are clones, and then coming to the relization of what they now have,a plain ol' car with fancy paint and stickers. but if that's what makes them happy that's there buizness. lord knows i've spent countless dollars on stuff i did'nt need (but thought i did at the time) are somewhere in a big pile junk. see i used to build race engines/cars and all that stuff ended up broken or wrecked. now my this is my new hobby it's alot cheaper i'll say the least. so whatever makes a person happy. :lovebooli