PDA

View Full Version : Sighting In New Scope on Ruger #1

sleeper1428
03-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Finally got out to the range yesterday to sight in my new Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 with 6" eye relief which is mounted on my Ruger #1S in 45/70 using standard front ring and offset rear ring. This is the first scope I've found that allows me to get a clear view without straining forward to see the full scope view. Since I'm pushing 72 real hard and have always had marginal eyesight, I need the scope to enjoy shooting and this one really works great. I was shooting RCBS 405gr FNGC boolits cast with Magnum alloy (92-2-6), lubed with Tamarack 50/50 and driven by 48gr of 3031. After bore sighting on the target set at 50 yards, it took just three shots to be close to the bullseye and as you can see from the attached photo, the next 7 shots grouped very nicely, just a hair high and a hair to the left. Satisfied, I walked the target out to 100 yards and without further adjustment the next ten shots were right on the bullseye, pretty much obliterating the shot group shown in the photo.

I continued to shoot and by the time I ran out of ammo I'd put a full 70 rounds through the Ruger with the same nice tight groups printing on different places on my sighting in target. Needless to say, I'm very satisfied with this new scope, considering the fact that it cost less than $80. It appears to be able to handle the heavy recoil without any problem and it certainly has made shooting the Ruger #1 a pleasure.

sleeper1428

JIMinPHX
03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Dang! That's nice. If I can do half that good when I hit 70, I'll be 1 happy fella.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
03-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Well Sleeper1428, I hope to do as well soon.

Just installed a Leupold 2X7 on my RUGER #1s 45/70, yesterday.

Have done the look through the bore and adjust the scope thing many times, but never with a bore this large.

On to the range soon, I hope!

I have 50 rounds of test loads done up - H & IMR 4198, Varget, H4895 and IMR 4064 - loaded in what I hope will be the 1200 - 1500fps range.

Have some loads with 38gr. H4198, loaded for something to bang with using the iron sights, and find the recoil to be more then I desire to deal with as an on going load level.

The Boolit is the RCBS 405gr, which I find to be casting out at 427 - 428gr. including lube and gas check.

I regularly shoot a 310gr LBT ahead of 19gr of AA#9 from my 5.5" RUGER Redhawk, that load giving me a touch over 1300fps. [smilie=w: Not a problem.

As you know, the #1 is a light rifle, and I am wondering about a good 300+gr. Boolit with a large meplat for day to day use.

Saw a link some where to a "Hammer" or "Sledge Hammer" boolit in 300+ and 400+ designs, but don't seem to be able to find my way back to that location.

Back to the scope, the 2X7 Leupold has really!!!!!!!! great eye relief in the lower powers where it will most often be used and a workable field of view for bench use at the upper power ranges.

Would love to get results as good as yours, but time will tell.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Urny
03-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the report Sleeper. I've been considering getting one of those for the No 3 Hornet. That carbine has been a source of frustration trying to fit a scope that doesn't require crawling the stock. The BSA 2 1/2X with 6" eye relief and the Bushnell 1.5x4.5X with same have worked to mount the scope in front of the hammer for NEF break open rifles, but I've been hoping for a little more magnification for the Hornet. Your report points me in the direction I need to go.

03-20-2010, 09:49 PM
sleeper,
That's good shootin' scope or no scope and no matter what anyone says! :)

sleeper1428
03-21-2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments, fellas. However I do have to report that today I'm nursing a reasonably sore shoulder, a consequence of firing those 70 rounds all at one sitting. To be very specific, I fired those first 10 rounds without the use of my Pact Magnum recoil pad and I think I touched off a couple of them when the butt wasn't situated quite right on my shoulder, the result being a couple of nice purple bruises out where they shouldn't be!! With the recoil pad in place the Ruger still kicked pretty hard but at least it wasn't painful and I was actually able to enjoy the afternoon's shooting. I'm looking forward to finding out if the Bushnell scope will continue to function under the Ruger's recoil after several hundred rounds and I'll let you know what happens. Now, I think it's time to start developing some lighter loads that won't be quite so punishing to the old arthritic shoulder which hurts enough on its own without being subjected to the mule like kick of the Ruger with full power loads.

sleeper1428

steg
03-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the post Sleeper, had my newely purchased ruger #3 out yesterday with a box of factory stuff, just burnin em off for the casings, plinking, didn't really hit much, with these eyes and iron sights it's a no go. So i am looking to put a scope on it and eye relief is a definite factor, thanks again for the info................steg