PDA

View Full Version : 40 year old thumler's tumbler model b

Tom-ADC
03-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Mine is 40+ years old and getting a little long in the tooth, what tumbler do you use, I may need a replacement soon.

ETG
03-20-2010, 04:44 PM
You can still buy belts, motors, and replacement parts. Mine is 35+ years old and going strong. I've got a spare motor but haven't needed it but I have replaced the belt a couple of times.

Lloyd Smale
03-20-2010, 04:53 PM
i used them all and its tough to beat a lyman. They usually have better agitation then any of the others. Id never give up my big dillon for large jobs but it doesnt have near the agitation a typical lyman has. Only problem is lymans poor customer service if it ever goes bad.

montana_charlie
03-20-2010, 04:59 PM
i used them all
How does the volume capacity on the Dillon compare with the Thumler's Model B, Lloyd?
CM

Tom-ADC
03-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Lyman & Dillon are two I was looking at, plus maybe another Thumler, the belt was slipping so bad yesterday I took it off and sprayed belt dressing on it, but motor bearings are going, rollers are going bad.
I may give it a good cleaning, relube everything and run it until the wheels fall off.

Recluse
03-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Mine is 40+ years old and getting a little long in the tooth, what tumbler do you use, I may need a replacement soon.

I use a Thumler's Tumbler AR12 that is 25 years old.

All I've had to replace have been the belts, but I am starting to look at getting a new drum.

:coffee:

MtGun44
03-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I use a big bowl Lyman vibrator, I think it is called a 1200. Has worked for 15+years
and done a good job. It replaced a 600 that was just too small, and got sold down the
road.

Bill

Old Ironsights
03-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Only thing I "use" (will maybe someday use) my TT for is ball-milling BP... (FWIW, 1lb of .490 WW balls make a FINE KNO3/S/C blender...)

c3d4b2
03-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Your best beat is to replace the worn parts. I have not heard anyone getting the long term use out of the other brands. My brother has gone through several brands and the thumler's has outlasted them all. He finally did have to replace a motor and thumler's sold him the replacement parts.

casca
03-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Let's see I have a product I have been using for over 40 years, HMMMM what model to buy ?? my .009 euro says go with the product that lasted 40 years

My thumblers was bought used, and it still ticking, replaced motor from a 1983 price sheet- that was the amount they charged me repair parts did not go up.

If and when you buy your Fancy new one could I have DIBBS on your old worn out THUMBLERS
thanx
casca

e15cap
03-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Tom, You will love that tumbler when you clean your 45-70 cases with ceramic media after shooting black powder. See ya Thurs? Roger

Tom-ADC
03-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Tom, You will love that tumbler when you clean your 45-70 cases with ceramic media after shooting black powder. See ya Thurs? Roger

Yep I'll be there, I'll move down closer to the lefthand side so I can get some advice on tweaking that sight. I did move it to a closer to vertical that helped but I lost it when I moved the target back 50 more yards.
I'm going to put a couple of bucks into the Thumler, where to buy ceramic media?

9.3X62AL
03-20-2010, 08:50 PM
The Thumlers are entirely rebuildable. Mine is 26 years old, and I just recently replaced the drive and idler axles. I'm on its 6th or 7th belt. The drum liner is about due for replacement.

The local toy store (gun shop) had one identical to mine on sale for $50, with some usage apparent. SNAG. It's here now, for Marie to do her rock-polishing with.

mr mom
03-20-2010, 10:06 PM
my tumbler b is about 40 years old .. im on my 3rd belt.. BUT , ive been useing a hoover vac belt . works a little better once it gets broke in... its a little fatter than the org. belt , but still going....

James Wisner
03-21-2010, 09:50 AM
I am in the process of rebuilding two Thumbler model B's, both 15 plus years old

Both used HARD for tumbling small metal parts, most wear is the nylon axle bushings, and belts. Tumbling is needed only to lightly degurr edges, and clean the surfaces, after heat treating.

Normal weight is about 25 pounds at a time, parts, media, soap and water.

So am building new bases and supports for the axles from Alum plate, and will be using sealed bearings for the axles to run in.

Expect to run them agin for a LONG time.

FYI, last year my BIG Midway vib tumbler gave out after 16 years, the motor housing finally cracked, a new motor will cost about 125 $, so picked up two of the Lyman 2500 vib tumblers, and they are working OK.

James Wisner

e15cap
03-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I get mine from Dave Mauer, the guy who introduced this stuff to BPCR. He is in Phoenix right now, headed home to Mich, so may be a week or two if you can wait.

Doc Highwall
03-21-2010, 11:34 AM
I have two of them and use mine mostly now for moly coating condom bullets.

Valley Forge
03-22-2010, 01:44 AM
I've had my thumler tumbler for about thirty years, bought a Hornady vibrating tumbler about ten years ago and love it. I think it was made by somebody else and Hornady put their name on it. I rarely pull out the thumler anymore.

RugerFan
03-22-2010, 04:35 AM
My Thumler's Tumbler AR-1 is 22 years old and going strong. I have replaced the belt every now and then and just recently replaced the drum and 110 plug. I plan on getting an AR-2 or AR-6 this year to increase capacity.

Tom-ADC
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Just ordered all parts to refurb mine, was tempted to buy the high speed motor but passed.

deltaenterprizes
03-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Thumbler did make an Ultravibe 18 vibratory tumbler. That is the one I use and a home made one that I used a Lyman 3200 bowl to make.
To make oneyou need a 3000 rpm motor with ball bearings and a counter weight to make it vibrate. Grainger sells them and a replacement vibrator motor for easy chairs that should work.