PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Sizer Q's! RCBS vs. Star

wildwillalaska
03-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Howdy all. Getting things together to start my casting entry.

Looking to the sizers I still have questions and want input. Read many of the previous posts, but still uncertain which would serve me better with need to shoot GC's some.

I shoot/reload btw 300-700 rounds a month. Likely average 500, depending on much heavy loads I shoot--if all big stuff, then the volume decreases. Shoot mostly 45 colt, 454 casull, and recently 475 Linebaugh. Also load up a fair amount of 45-70. I will want to lube/size GC's, probably about 25% of my rounds are GC'd, but I may step it back a bit.

I am not concerned as much with price as I am making sure to get the right set up for my needs. Cheaper to spend more first time around and be happy then turn around and replace.

Any input is appreciated.

W

thebigmac
03-20-2010, 04:40 PM
[B][COLOR="Blue"]There are a lot of Stars being used. You can gas check with a Star as well as any other sizer .
Certainly RCBS & LYMAN make great sizers, but the Star is much easier & faster to use. It's a push through sizer & leaves one boolit in the die. Others are not this type. You have to place a boolit in the die, pull the handle, be sure enough pressure to lube, then return the handle to the up position, remove the lubed boolit & place another in the die. I have used the Star for about 55+ years and find it much better than my Lyman 45 (which still gets used from time to time).As a noobie, try to find another caster and talk to him.Good luck.